New Member Here--Couple of Questions
Dec 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #31 of 36
  Edit: Perhaps a portable amp/DAC would be the answer for using with a portable CD player?  

Consider the Objective O2+ODAC combo. There might be important differences between buying O2 and ODAC as separate pieces and as a single unit. I remember that they had to remove the batteries to make room for the DAC, so I don't know if how portable the combo is. But I'm not sure, so if you think you might want it, call / e-mail JDS Labs about that. (They're also willing to customize the gain depending on how quiet/loud you listen and which headphones you'll be using.)

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #33 of 36

I would suggest you to go for DAP (such as fiio x3) and convert audio cds into FLAC format.

Never heard of a DAP before.  Digital audio player?  Would that be in place of a portable CD player?  

I do like the idea of keeping things on CDs.  I like the ritual of putting in CDs, much as people put on vinyls on their turntables.  One day I might convert all of my music to digital, but at the moment I don't even have a good laptop, so it's not something I'm really looking at now (also considering getting a new computer when I have the money).

Also, about Runbinstein's comment above, I believe the Sony portable CD player I have does have a line-out.  I never really was sure what it was used for, but I suppose I could plug it into a headphone amp.  How would a DAC fit into the equation?  Does the CD player connect to the headphone amp, which connects to the DAC?

Thanks!  Sorry for all of these very novice questions.  The world of headphone amps is very confusing, IMO.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #34 of 36

Never heard of a DAP before.  Digital audio player?  Would that be in place of a portable CD player?  

I do like the idea of keeping things on CDs.  I like the ritual of putting in CDs, much as people put on vinyls on their turntables.  One day I might convert all of my music to digital, but at the moment I don't even have a good laptop, so it's not something I'm really looking at now (also considering getting a new computer when I have the money).

Also, about Runbinstein's comment above, I believe the Sony portable CD player I have does have a line-out.  I never really was sure what it was used for, but I suppose I could plug it into a headphone amp.  How would a DAC fit into the equation?  Does the CD player connect to the headphone amp, which connects to the DAC?

Thanks!  Sorry for all of these very novice questions.  The world of headphone amps is very confusing, IMO.

With a DAP, you can play music files in FLAC format (which means you do not loose the CD quality, provided you rip them as the sampling rate of audio cd tracks). How many audio cds can you bring with you, while you go around? But with a DAP, you can carry a lot cds in FLAC format.

second part of your question, I guess I already mentioned in one of my previous posts that you do not need a DAC. You only need a portable amp, since the cd player already has a dac. You can connect the amp to line out of the cd player.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #35 of 36

With a DAP, you can play music files in FLAC format (which means you do not loose the CD quality, provided you rip them as the sampling rate of audio cd tracks). How many audio cds can you bring with you, while you go around? But with a DAP, you can carry a lot cds in FLAC format.

second part of your question, I guess I already mentioned in one of my previous posts that you do not need a DAC. You only need a portable amp, since the cd player already has a dac. You can connect the amp to line out of the cd player.

Thanks for the clarification.  I was thinking that about not needing the DAC, but wasn't sure.  Would getting a higher-end DAC still benefit (not saying I'm going to)?  

If I can get by on just a headphone amp, then it might be nice to try out the Schiit Magni.  Also, I'm looking on the Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide.  Has anyone tried out the ALO Audio Island and the MicroMega MyZIC.  Both of those seem to be within my price range.  There is also Schiit's step-up headphone amp (although I'm not sure I want the $120 tube amp, since that seems...confusing).

Thanks, all!

Edit: Anyone have any thoughts on the Sony PHA-1 or -2?  I noticed it was described as a "portable iDevice/Walkman/USB DAC and headphone amplifier" on the Head-Fi Gift Guide.  Just caught my eye, since it's the first time I've seen a Walkman ever mentioned on here (presumably that means portable CD player).  At $500-600, it's pretty steeply priced.

I must say, after reading about the FiiO E12 Mont Blanc in the Guide, it seems pretty appealing.  Maybe even moreso than the Schiit stuff.  Anyone have any experience comparing the two?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back