New member from France search the best Headphones
May 28, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #121 of 147
cool it guys... Don't forget the frenchman is new to HiFi hobby. It's the first good Hp's he has and he is probably discovering that a good headphone with crappy source will result in crap coming out of them.

Ask him the right questions first before advising him to spend even more money :

What's the format of you music ? low bitrate mp3 or well recorded original cd's ?

And then you may ask :

What kind of CD-player or soundcard are you using ?

What kind of cable are you using to connect the source to amplifier ?

My advise would be to try out your entire music collection, you're in it for a lot of surprises. Throw out all your low bitrate mp'3 , forget everything under 320Kb/s and find out which of your original cd's are well recorded or not.

I am pretty sure this has nothing to do with the headphone itself and burn-in will not change a lot.

May 28, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #122 of 147
thank you Audax ,
I'm using MP3 compression (256 to 320kbs) or aac (256 kbs), or I listen to original CD buy CD player+Sony amp.

I've noticed that the sound is better with my Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1 card than with my SONY Audio-Video Amp.
confused_face(1).gif

I don't use any amp or DAC with my PC.

the sound has changed now compared to the first seconds of using my cans.

I burn in the DT880 for about 12-15h a day with a mix of every type of music + pink noise.

the sound seems different after 30h of burn in...
may be it's psychological....
but I really like the aerial sound of these cans, the high frequencies are great, the vocals are detailled and clear, the bass are here, but lower than my poor V300 for sure.....
dt880smile.png

May be you're right and my SONY amp has a poor headphones out....
angry_face.gif

I think I'd better use a headphone amp to drive my DT880, for sure, but I don't have lot of money to buy an expensive one... I've spent 300$ in headphones, so I'm looking for an amp like little dot or something like that...

Does a DAC an obligation ?

so do you think a "cheap" amp (tube prefered...) can drive my cans well ???

can you give me some models which are ok for my DT880 ?

thank you in advance...
wink.gif

May 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #124 of 147
I've found the Corda HA-2 to have excellent synergy with the DT 880. Available on the used market only. You should be able to get it for a good price (if you find one – or the similar, even better Prehead if you're lucky).

Yeah, a good source is not to be sneezed at – but take it step by step. Otherwise a Corda Opera – with built-in DAC – would be an (expensive) option. Also not in production anymore and only available used.

May 28, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #125 of 147
and what about the little dot amps family ???
I can see MK I, MK 2, MK 3 and MK 4 on ebay, but what are the differences ???
does the MK I or MK 2 good enough for my DT880 ?
the price is very attractive and it's a tube amp,.....

May 28, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #126 of 147
Sorry, I can't speak for them. The only tube amp recommendation I could offer would be the Brocksieper Earmax Pro, but that's probably above your budget.

gifts-and-gift-baskets_2047_16387450

May 28, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #127 of 147
beautiful !!!
ph34r.gif

but definitely above my budget.....
wink.gif

May 28, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #128 of 147
Going from your V300 Sony's, I think any audiophile headphone will sound flat and empty. The V300 has a lot more bass than my HD650 which is supposedly fairly bassy.

Don't just burn in the DT880. I personally think it's more of burning in your mind to the headphones. I believe it will take almost two weeks for your ears to become accustomed to the new sound and when that happens, you will start to notice details you hadn't before. You will begin to enjoy your headphones more.

On the other hand, maybe you won't and the DT880 are not the right headphones for you.

May 28, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #129 of 147
Just give it time. If I had returned every headphone that I initially didn't like, I would have no headphones left.

We build up expectations about a product (especially when we're new to high end cans) and we are shocked and disappointed when they are different.

I grew to love my 880s. They have very low bass, and just the right amount of it for me.

May 29, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #130 of 147
Right out of the box the 880s hooked up to a frequency generator easily manages 20hz to 18Khz (my hearing does not go above). At very high volume and on bass heavy tracks they literally jump on my head. Those can's are everything but boring.

I'm using original cd's , .flac and .wav only !

Creative X-Fi platinum coaxial out to Yulong DAH1 DAC/AMP combo

or

CD-player optical out to Yulong DAH1 DAC/AMP combo

May 29, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #131 of 147
I think I'll learn with the time....I've never had audiophile cans, so, you're right, I have to wait and listen and listen again to appreciate audiophile sound...
smile.gif

but I'm sure I must buy an amp or a DAC/AMP combo...

but apparently, nobody has heard about little dot (the tube version) here ?
frown.gif

I wonder if it's enough to drive my cans and which version of little dot I must choose with my DT880....
I've also seen Trends Audio UD10... do you think it's ok...?

May 29, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #132 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbretzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'll learn with the time....I've never had audiophile cans, so, you're right, I have to wait and listen and listen again to appreciate audiophile sound...
smile.gif

but I'm sure I must buy an amp or a DAC/AMP combo...

but apparently, nobody has heard about little dot (the tube version) here ?
frown.gif

I wonder if it's enough to drive my cans and which version of little dot I must choose with my DT880....
I've also seen Trends Audio UD10... do you think it's ok...?

Maybe it's better to ask the questions in the amp forum.

May 29, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #134 of 147
I have posted on Head Amp (Full Size) section, but there are 42 reads, and 0 reply....
frown.gif

I've searched for answers but I've found nothing....

May 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #135 of 147
Patience is a virtue. Some have to wait days for a reply, the may have to bump the thread once or twice, and finally the replies arrive...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back