New McIntosh MHA200 Headphone amp
Feb 6, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #91 of 632
Had an email from a friend in the industry and he said the UK price will be £2795. Hopefully my friend is nearer the mark.
Wow same crappy pricing strategy as Cayin.
How is their take on International warranty?

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #93 of 632
Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #94 of 632
I noticed McIntosh are crazy overpriced in UK, sometimes double to what they are in US. Not sure why I doubt shipping bumps the prices so much

Feb 6, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #96 of 632
Ok, guess time to scratch Mcintosh from my list now

73% price increase for europe, certainly won't Support that!
I noticed McIntosh are crazy overpriced in UK, sometimes double to what they are in US. Not sure why I doubt shipping bumps the prices so much

So therefore wouldn't it be cheaper still to fly here to US and hand carry it back? We don't have VAT.

Feb 6, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #97 of 632
Ok, guess time to scratch Mcintosh from my list now

73% price increase for europe, certainly won't Support that!

I don’t understand why since middle eastern pricing is only around 200ish usd extra and we use the same voltage and stuff as in Europe which would probably be the only differences when it comes to the unit internally. Maybe there are some import tariffs or something.

Feb 6, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #98 of 632
So therefore wouldn't it be cheaper still to fly here to US and hand carry it back? We don't have VAT.
Yes it would, we still wouldn't have any warranty then tho

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #100 of 632
After seeing the price difference......Oh poor we on the otherside of the Atlantic! :tired_face:

McIntosh! Remember you're Gaelic (Moray) roots!

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #101 of 632
McIntosh is overdoing it with garish, oversized logos in recent products.
These would look so much more classy if the logo were 1/3 the size.

11420051.jpeg
MTI100-Angle.ashx

Feb 6, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #102 of 632
McIntosh is overdoing it with garish, oversized logos in recent products.
These would look so much more classy if the logo were 1/3 the size.

11420051.jpeg
MTI100-Angle.ashx

Yep, it’s way too much indeed. But for the rest I dig the look of McIntosh stuff with the naked tubes. The gear with the black glass front less so.
Pissed though that we get ripped off here in Europe due to taxes and greedy distributors.

I do still wonder if that half watt will be enough.

Hopefully we get more product than name with this thing.
I heard their MHA 150 or it’s predecessor years ago and wasn’t impressed for headphone use.

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #105 of 632
Well, it was back in 2014 when I went to the UK for 3 days to visit a serious headphone dealer there who had just about all the well knowb brands we discuss here as where I live there wasn't much to find usually and when there was it couldn't be tested in most cases, the stores that sell something here were either online or they didn't have demo units.

So forgive me if I can't give you any details of my impressions 7 years ago.
I auditioned a wide variety of headphones during those 3 days, mainly planars and compared them with my own favorites at the time.
The Abyss and LCD-3 were the only two I auditioned with the McIntosh (MHA-1000 or 100 at the time?) and though it surely looked like an impressive amp it underperformed in comparison with the Bryston I used for most of the listening.
I stopped listening to the McIntosh after these two headphones as I could much easier here the differences between phones with the Bryston.
At that time I had a P-1u and Zana at home, the Bryston must have been more in-line with what I was used to, the McIntosh didn't sound like anything special to me.

That said, the MHA-200 seems like McIntosh's first real effort to make a true dedicated headphone amp and it's a tube amp so it will be totally different from the MHA-1000/100/150 instead of a continuation of that line like the name could suggust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back