New Matrix Audio X-Server info (and a bit about the X-Sabre 2 as well)
Dec 23, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #76 of 140
Appreciate the picture for scale. I'm really glad it fits length and width wise. Definitely getting one for sure now!

Great impressions. Can't wait to see what else gains there are from the i2S input.

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #77 of 140
the x-sabre pro is now at full msrp price. If they are able to uphold the given shipping date of 28 Dec i'm guessing within 1st 2 weeks of Jan. Really excited to get my hand on this thing. I've been dac-less for the past 2 weeks. Life without music is plain misery. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #78 of 140
The Matrix X-Sabre Pro 'Pre-Orders' have shipped! Everyone should have received their tracking information. Hopefully we'll see some system pictures and impressions soon in this thread. :)

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #80 of 140
Yep, I am now tracking my order and can't wait to get it set up. I will be happy to take some pics and report on my experience... just feel bad that I will not be able to speak with enough relative experience and a complete enough audio chain to do justice at this level. For those who have been mostly trapped in the mid-fi landscape like myself, I can offer some reasonable perspective, but for those of you wondering how this really compares to a Gumby, Yggy, Brooklyn, etc... I just don't have an adequate frame of reference.

When my X-Sabre Pro arrives, I will compare to an older Audio-GD NFB-1 DAC, an Emotive DC-1 Stealth, (and then hopefully be impressed enough with the matrix to put the other two up for sale), changing up having all three run through my "new to me" Cavalli Liquid Crimson (definitely up to the task) but a bit limited by my current collection of headphones which will include ATH-R70x and BD 1990 Pro for the long term, and perhaps some AQ Nighthawk and EL-8 Open to a limited degree while I get them both up on the selling block as I work to fund an Ether Flow at some point. That is my current game plan anyways.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #82 of 140
Just completed my setup and playing some music. The Matrix X-Sabre which i own is already a very decent DAC out there in the market especially given its price. If you think the X-Sabre is good you will be in for a pleasant surprise with the X-Sabre Pro. Source fed from my Aries Mini and out to my Beta 22 and utopia. The X-Sabre Pro sounds so amazing. Some pictures.

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #84 of 140
Congrats! Curious to hear your thoughts on the improvements. Take your time though. No rush.
biggrin.gif

popcorn.gif

Shall give my first impression of the first few hours I've spent with it thus far. First thing that struck me was the background was much blacker. Very detailed and the separation is also very good.On top of that, the bass seems to be tighter compared to the X-sabre from what i remember. Its definitely an upgrade compared to the previous x-sabre.

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #85 of 140
I have just received my Matrix X Sabre Pro and am just running it in.

The question now would be whether matrix will consider releasing a version of the X server as a dedicated transport without inbuilt DAC since that portion will be wasted for X Sabre Pro owners.

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #86 of 140
I have just received my Matrix X Sabre Pro and am just running it in.

The question now would be whether matrix will consider releasing a version of the X server as a dedicated transport without inbuilt DAC since that portion will be wasted for X Sabre Pro owners.

This is definitely something Arthur discussed with Matrix - separates make total sense when you already have an established DAC lineup. Remember Matrix has their Quattro DAC, and the Mini models too. And there are quite a few X-Sabre users out there who will either keep their DAC (it's still great) or maybe move up to the Pro. All of these are in the target market for the X-Server, but it's a bit of a waste if that device has a nice DAC on board as well.

In my mind (and probably Arthur's too) Matrix should have gone with a dedicated streamer first, then release the X-Sabre Pro along side it, and lastly offer an all in one device for those who want both in a single package. That makes more sense.

Alas, we have what the have, for the moment at least. The seed has been planted but who knows what Matrix will do next.

All I can say is the combo really is truly excellent. Running the X-Server with X-Sabre Pro, and also my Examplar modded Oppo in case I want to play a CD once in a while. Output feeds to a KGSSHV then out to my SR-007 mkII for general music enjoyment, or SR-4070 for really neutral, reference monitoring. Did I mention the X-Server runs actual Roon now? Not just an endpoint but the full server version - no other computer needed in the chain. Brilliant!

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #87 of 140
Indeed. They should consider making a no holds barred server. Maybe use the space saved from omitting the DAC portion for additional digital inputs and reclocking.

They might also want to make the styling similar to the xsabre pro. Keep the same width but make it double the thickness if necessary. I would really buy something like that.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #88 of 140
Indeed. They should consider making a no holds barred server. Maybe use the space saved from omitting the DAC portion for additional digital inputs and reclocking.

They might also want to make the styling similar to the xsabre pro. Keep the same width but make it double the thickness if necessary. I would really buy something like that.

As of now the plan involves a regular version of the X-Server with ES9028 Pro, and then a higher end model with ES9038 Pro and Femto clocks. Don't know if that will end up being true upon final release but it seems like a good idea to me. Then again, I'd still very much like a stand-alone version regardless. As good as their DAC solution is, I still prefer my Resonessence Labs Invicta Mirus Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back