New Matrix Audio X-Server info (and a bit about the X-Sabre 2 as well)
Jan 18, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #93 of 140

​Yes, SU-1 works fine with X-Sabre Pro via HDMI LVDS, both in async and sync mode.
See my photo on the thread "LKS USB-100" on Compter Audiophile.

Did you notice an improvement in sound quality?

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #98 of 140
  read this thread and think i am about to buy! Just wished that i saw this thread a month ago when it was $300 cheaper hah.

Same. Price has shot up too high for me to give them an audition them. Very curious as to how the new SABRE chips sound.

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #99 of 140
I'm one of those who bought the original X-Sabre without even having heard it. The pictures of the metal brick construction were too much to resist, and above all the price made the risk of ordering it seem worthwhile.

But $1700 USD ($2200 CDN) for the X-Sabre Pro is far too expensive and getting well into a price point where there are many other alternatives to consider. Is this thing worth twice the Oppo Sonica ESS9038?

Anyways awaiting impressions.

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #100 of 140
  I'm one of those who bought the original X-Sabre without even having heard it. The pictures of the metal brick construction were too much to resist, and above all the price made the risk of ordering it seem worthwhile.

But $1700 USD ($2200 CDN) for the X-Sabre Pro is far too expensive and getting well into a price point where there are many other alternatives to consider. Is this thing worth twice the Oppo Sonica ESS9038?

Anyways awaiting impressions.

I was in the same boat as you. I found the all aluminum CNC cleaver and during that age SABRE chips were getting popular for their sound and correction on internal jitter (ASRC).

The Oppo Sonica seems to be using only 1 chip whereas the X-Sabre PRO has 4 which helps it's sonic and measured performance.
Comparing the DAC performance specifics, the X-Sabre PRO wins in this category.

Signal-to-Noise Ratio: -134dB (X-Sabre PRO) vs -120dB (Oppo Sonica).

It also bests the Sonica in all other measured readings.

For higher fidelity audio, the Matrix includes AES and I2S whereas the Sonica does not. Something you might want to consider.

Personally for this much I'd look into similar priced R2R Ladder DAC's for superior sound. Some for example, Holo Audio Spring or Denafrips DAC-8PRO2. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #101 of 140
I think Matrix is just changing focus from budget or "great for the price" stuff to true high-end gear. You can see this from their product timeline over the years:

M-Stage (original) and Cube DAC were both low cost, relatively high performing devices for their era. They also had some less well known affordable stuff like the Rip DAC and that tiny USB to SPDIF device that looked like a AA battery.

Then they started moving up, with the first Quattro DAC and matching balanced amp which competed in a higher space. The mini-i line got nicer too.

Then we got the X-Sabre, which was a really great DAC - rivaling competition in the ~$2k range for nearly half that amount.

Now they seem to be looking towards moving even higher, which necessarily costs more. Other DACs aren't standing still either, so it's harder to be a standout. The X-Sabre Pro impressed me quite a bit though, and the X-Server is an easy recommendation once it launches. 

Hopefully they also keep some good models in the lineup that have more affordable prices. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #102 of 140
We had a lot of people try both the X-Sabre Pro and the X-Server prototype at the NYC CanJam. Everyone was very impressed. Connected to a Violectric V281 and using the Utopia or LCD-4 it was really a fantastic system. ZMF's latest headphones also sounded great with this setup. It seemed everyone had a pair or two of Zach's two new models. Hopefully in the next couple months the X-Server design will be finalized.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #103 of 140
Nice to see the chassis' for the new matrix dacs are still super thick and impressive looking..  any idea what it's sitting on?  is that a speaker power amp?

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #104 of 140
  Nice to see the chassis' for the new matrix dacs are still super thick and impressive looking..  any idea what it's sitting on?  is that a speaker power amp?

Check the original post of this thread - it's the upcoming music server (which will look even nicer in final form).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back