New Matrix Audio X-Server info (and a bit about the X-Sabre 2 as well)
Dec 16, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #61 of 140
  I don't know if it has already been said but: are the analog stages discrete or op-amped?

The original was opamps and I'm not sure if that has changed or not. But this thing sounds seriously good! Got it set up yesterday evening for an hour of listening, and very much enjoyed it. Excellent detail, rich tone, full body.... this thing is very nice indeed. 

The touch buttons are very intuitive which is something I was worried about. And I had no trouble playing native DSD via Roon. Will have to spent a bunch more time with it, but thus far I'm impressed. 

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #62 of 140
Would love to hear how this thing compares to the original X-Sabre off memory, or even the Yggy =]

Are you feeding it with the Singxer SU-1 via i2S?
Based on my notes, it should be configured as so:

Wouldn't discrete analog stage be better in terms of feedback performance?
Interested to see if they kept the op-amp method or switched over to discrete.

Also what setting did you decide to use for the Timbre adjustment?

My personal workdesk is too small for the Yggy. 
frown.gif

I hope the X-Sabre Pro isn't too much of a sacrifice in sound quality.

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #63 of 140
For the moment I am just going straight USB, sourced from a Clones Audio Host music server. It's a nice clean signal - dual dedicated linear power supplies, custom USB output card, running Linux with Roon Server. Haven't had a chance to get the Singxer in the mix yet and it may be a bit until I get that going.

Theoretically there's always the chance Matrix handles USB well enough to where the external box isn't beneficial. I don't know what they did to the USB section on this new version though.

Opamps versus discrete is an age old debate. The way I view it, they both have their place. They are building blocks and as such can be used in a smart way or a poor way depending on the design. You can find many designers who swear by one or the other, and many good (and bad) examples of each at all price ranges.

The only way to know for sure which is better in this particular application would be if Matrix built separate demo units, one with the best discrete output stage they could come up with, the other with opamps. Then compare head to head. That's probably not gonna happen, with this or any other product (though I've seen some designers do this during their design phase, us end-users never get to hear them both). 

Compared to the original X-Sabre, I'm hearing deeper resolution and superior microdetail extraction, but also a somewhat more organic "flow" going on. Have to do a lot more listening but so far I'm very impressed. I have a new Mytek Brooklyn here to check out and it is.... not as good as the X-Sabre Pro. Not even close. 

EDIT Forgot to add, I'm using default settings which are Dither On and Fast Roll-off Minimum Phase Filter. Jitter Reduction is left On, and the DAC is operating in Async mode. From experience I know there is a gain to be had by turning off jitter reduction (only when using a great source though). Definitely want to try the Apodizing filter, and want to mess with running Sync mode which recovers the clock from the incoming signal rather than the internal 100Mhz clock in the Sabre chip. We'll see.

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #65 of 140
Much appreciated sir. I will await your impressions on the inputs, including one with the Singxer SU-1 into play.

I'm sure with everything they've done to optimize the PRO, they would do best in mind for the analog stage as well. 
rolleyes.gif

I had no clue designers go through such lengths to maximize end sound like that. That was very insightful indeed.

Impressive impressions.

One of the things I've felt lacking with the original X-Sabre was it's micro-detail and depth. It's fast hitting, but somewhat soft. After listening to it for the last year, I concluded that it didn't dig deep enough. More details were desired. To me, It didn't sound organic enough without a DDC. Vocals and instruments do lack character when comparing to a higher end DAC's like the Yggdrasil, but that's a given. Since it has offers i2S input, I can see more realism offered by bypassing the receiver conversion end which is nice of them to include.

Everything else however, this thing did great. A great piece of equipment that can be had for under $1,000. A jack of all trades. More than decent in every category.

Personally I still have a X-Sabre in hand. If this thing offers improved resolution and realism in a neat package, then it's definitely a must have. I can't wait to get my hands on one. I too will do a side by side comparison to the original X-Sabre.

From speculation, your photos show the X-Sabre PRO is longer in length for sure, but doesn't look any less in width compared to the standard X-Sabre. Now I fear the Singxer-SU1 is even wider and won't sit as nicely on top. 
wink.gif

The website presents specifications as:
PRO : 300×218×45mm(L×W×H, including the protruding part
STANDARD: 205×260×48mm L×W×H(Including the protruding part)

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #72 of 140
I just realized what the X-Sabre Pro reminds me of, at least in terms of looks - the newer Ayre Twenty series of components. The prior Ayre stuff was more like Questyle gear but the new Twenty is very similar in build to the Matrix. Not bad company to be in.

I'm finally getting my system reassembled and should have more impressions soon. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #74 of 140
Still haven't spent as much time with it as I would like.... just lots of family stuff this week. And moving the system hasn't helped. That said, I was able to sneak almost an hour of listening last night. Using the X-Server, X-Sabre Pro, and Pass Labs HPA-1 driving Dharma, HD800, or HE1000.

Great results all around. I particularly enjoyed the Dharma with its unique treble presentation. I wouldn't call it overall "better" than the HD800, but in some ways I do like it more. HD800 and HE1000 also very good with this setup as well. Both have better soundstage than Dharma so it's a trade off. 

Some quick thoughts....  The X-Sabre Pro has stunning resolution - in the areas of harmonics, texture, and microdynamics, it is world class, easily comparable to much more expensive DACs I have owned. I feel like the midrange is very slightly "sweeter" compared to something more dry like an Auralic Vega or Benchark DAC 2 HGC. I would honestly prefer to own the Matrix over either of those, with the Vega being a competitive 2nd place and the Benchmark trailing the rear.

That said, while the X-Sabre Pro is less dry sounding than Vega, it isn't as musical or tonally rich as the Exogal Comet Plus. I love the Exogal and I think it is competitive with the X-Sabre Pro, though both are very different and would work better in different systems. Keep in mind the Exogal is $3K and needs the $500 PSU to keep up with the Matrix. That's proof of the X-Sabre Pro value position.

Btw I still have not had a chance to use the Singxer SU-1 via HDMI cable connection. However I stacked them briefly and they work fine together:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back