NEW: Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3
Sep 22, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #47 of 75
Just in case, I going to report this issue to Cao Wei from Matrix Audio to see what they say.

Sep 22, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #49 of 75
I don't know what to do: Auralic Altair G.2.1 or Matrix Sabre 3. Any thoughts about it? Btw, my amp is Mcintosh Ma352, integrated. Auralic is $2000 more expensive than Matrix.

Two totally different animals. The Altair G2.1 is more like a preamp/server/streamer/DAC while the X-SABRE 3 is a streamer/DAC. Also, I know how the X-SABRE 3 performs and you get full specifications from Matrix Audio. However, does anybody knows what DAC chipset is in the Altair G2.1? Personally, I wouldn't buy any product from a manufacture that doesn't publish full specifications.

Sep 22, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #50 of 75
You are right about the preamp function. My amp is integrated, so i don't think i need a different preamp feature from a different device. Also Altair is headphone preamp; i don't need that, i use as h.amp Chord Hugo 2....
Maybe if i go for Auralic i would be paying for functions that i don't need....
Right now i am just focus in the best sound quality streamer/DAC....
What do you think?

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #51 of 75
You are right about the preamp function. My amp is integrated, so i don't think i need a different preamp feature from a different device. Also Altair is headphone preamp; i don't need that, i use as h.amp Chord Hugo 2....
Maybe if i go for Auralic i would be paying for functions that i don't need....
Right now i am just focus in the best sound quality streamer/DAC....
What do you think?

To be honest, it would be very hard to find a streamer/DAC equipped with ESS 9038 Pro with the quality of the X-SABRE 3 for less than $3000. The only one that could come close is the Lumin X1 but at more than $13K is not even worth of consideration.

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #52 of 75
Finally after a few weeks, got today the X-SABRE 3 replacement. Immediately updated the firmware to V1.0.1 Build044 and all the bugs concerning Roon, MQA and DSD playback have been fixed. Here is my list of bugs reported to @MatrixAudio:

1. Auto Sleep function from Roon works most of the time but not always.
    R: FIXED with Build44
  2. TIDAL Connect have a gap between songs of 4 secs when skipping tracks. It takes 4 secs for any song to start playing. Meaning there is no gapless playback
    R: NOT FIXED. Bluesound devices had this same issue for months and got fixed back in June with the latest firmware.
  3. When playing Tidal Connect, once pause then play again there will be a short fade in occur.
  4. Playing MQA, when pausing a MQA song, then replay, the song starts for about 1 sec, then stops then starts again with a fade in. All MQA songs start with a fade in, no matter if there is no change in sampling rate.
  5. If X-SABRE 3 is on Standby and start playing a song from Roon, will get “Failed to open the Audio Device” error message on Roon. Pressing play twice makes the error message go away.
  6. When playing with Roon DSD files at 2.8 or 11.2, no matter the sampling rate, if pause the song, as soon I press play again, there is a loud POP coming out of the speakers.
  7. PCM (FLAC) songs get cut by about 100ms to 250ms at the beginning of the song. This only happens with some songs, not all of them and mostly with songs from Qobuz.
So basically all the bugs concerning Roon have been fixed with the new firmware. Also, I can confirm that the whirring noise is present in my unit but it's only audible if I place my ear literally at less than 1" from the X-SABRE 3.

IMG_8338.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #54 of 75
I have a Matrix Mini i3 Pro which i really like functionality wise, but now I'm upgrading my HPs and amp to the big boy league (Susvara/Enleum 23R) so I need a DAC that will keep up sound quality-wise. In your experience, is the Sabre 3 at the level of other TOTL DACs in that price range? Or does it just have better functionalityxenakist but lesser sound quality?

Thanks

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #55 of 75
If by sound quality you mean transparency and higher SINAD, then go for sure with the X-SABRE 3. The X-SABRE 3 is by far the most transparent DAC I have ever listened to. I have mime paired with a Topping A90 amp and my DCA AEON 2 Noires and Sundaras sound just amazing.

I also have a mini-i Pro 3 but the X-SABRE 3 is just in another league.

41C1BC26-5315-4122-8ACD-DBDD98396881.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #56 of 75
If by sound quality you mean transparency and higher SINAD, then go for sure with the X-SABRE 3. The X-SABRE 3 is by far the most transparent DAC I have ever listened to. I have mime paired with a Topping A90 amp and my DCA AEON 2 Noires and Sundaras sound just amazing.

I also have a mini-i Pro 3 but the X-SABRE 3 is just in another league.
Thank you, yes that's the info I was looking for. I'm just wondering if in the same price bracket there are other DAC/streamer combos that have better sound quality/technically superior to the Sabre 3 or if this is as good as it gets for the price.

Thanks

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #57 of 75
The closest in performance with similar specs would be the Lumin X1 at $15K so most definitely can’t get any better than the X-SABRE 3 below $5K.

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #58 of 75
The closest in performance with similar specs would be the Lumin X1 at $15K so most definitely can’t get any better than the X-SABRE 3 below $5K.
Awesome, I'll get the Sabre 3 then. Thanks!

Oct 20, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #59 of 75
Folks one more question. I'm trying to figure out if there any differences between the X Sabre 3 and the Element X. The Element seems to have the same DAC chip, CPU in/outs, Wifi etc. It looks like the Sabre has a fancy LCD/enclosure, can do Spotify Connect, and that's it? Am I missing other differences? Will the sound quality be the same?
Thanks

Oct 20, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #60 of 75
The Element X has headphone amp. Element X is in line for an update and that’s why I went with the X-SABRE 3 over the Element X. The X-SABRE 3 is just gorgeous. Photos don’t do justice on how beautiful this thing looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back