NEW: Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3
Sep 19, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #31 of 75
I think Enricoclaudio and I agree a lot about the great sound quality of the Matrix XSAbre 3.

Our comments are based on personal experiences by having tested several dacs, NOT ALL of them since that is impossible.

By this I mean that we are not owners of the absolute truth and we only want to transmit our humble experience.

Dacs from Matrix have proven to be among the best dacs in relation to measurements regardless of price. And in recent years they have shown a quality and aesthetic consistency equal to or better than some much more expensive brands.

I have had the opportunity to test the Matrix 3 against the Terminator plus with the Denafrips Athena preamp, the Gaia digital converter, the Denafrips Apollo power amp and the Hulgich Audio Duke speakers, and at times it was difficult for me to identify which dac was connected.

The degree of transparency of both models is incredible.
You may like it or not and it all depends on the audio system you have and the sound you are looking for.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #32 of 75
I think Enricoclaudio and I agree a lot about the great sound quality of the Matrix XSAbre 3.

Our comments are based on personal experiences by having tested several dacs, NOT ALL of them since that is impossible.

By this I mean that we are not owners of the absolute truth and we only want to transmit our humble experience.

Dacs from Matrix have proven to be among the best dacs in relation to measurements regardless of price. And in recent years they have shown a quality and aesthetic consistency equal to or better than some much more expensive brands.

I have had the opportunity to test the Matrix 3 against the Terminator plus with the Denafrips Athena preamp, the Gaia digital converter, the Denafrips Apollo power amp and the Hulgich Audio Duke speakers, and at times it was difficult for me to identify which dac was connected.

The degree of transparency of both models is incredible.
You may like it or not and it all depends on the audio system you have and the sound you are looking for.
How’s the bass with X-Sabre 3? Plenty in slam and quantity?

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #33 of 75
Bass is just right. I’m running my Dynaudio BM5 mkIII active speakers with a Rythmik Audio E22 subwoofer and bass is clean and accurate. I would say this is mostly due the subwoofer and not because the X-SABRE 3 as I find my RME Fireface UCX II sounding pretty well too paired with my speakers and subwoofer. I do mostly mastering and mixing with my RME UCX II and listen to music with the X-SABRE 3 (speakers) and Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3 (headphones).

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #34 of 75
Bass is just right. I’m running my Dynaudio BM5 mkIII active speakers with a Rythmik Audio E22 subwoofer and bass is clean and accurate. I would say this is mostly due the subwoofer and not because the X-SABRE 3 as I find my RME Fireface UCX II sounding pretty well too paired with my speakers and subwoofer. I do mostly mastering and mixing with my RME UCX II and listen to music with the X-SABRE 3 (speakers) and Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3 (headphones).
Thanks a lot. Any experience with headphones?

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #35 of 75
Thanks a lot. Any experience with headphones?
Sorry, I don’t have an amp with the X-SABRE 3. I use the mini-i Pro 3 with my HD 650s and AKG 371. I don’t do critical listening with headphones, though.

Sep 21, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #36 of 75
I have had the opportunity to test the Matrix 3 against the Terminator plus with the Denafrips Athena preamp
Did you compare them by connecting the Matrix 3 to the preamp? As opposed to the T+, Matrix has a built-in volume control so one less reason using a preamp, IMO.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #37 of 75
Could I ask if you are able to hear a constant whirring sound from the sabre3? I just received mine and I am able to hear that sound when I’m close by to the machine and have no music playing? Just wondering if that’s normal.

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #38 of 75
Could I ask if you are able to hear a constant whirring sound from the sabre3? I just received mine and I am able to hear that sound when I’m close by to the machine and have no music playing? Just wondering if that’s normal.

That's something another customer told me but to be honest, I haven't pay too much attention to it. I sent my X-SABRE 3 back to my dealer because I thought it was defective but it wasn't so they sent me a replacement which should arrive next week. I will check mine to see if I hear the noise you are describing but as of now, you are the second person saying about this particular noise. BTW, the other owner said the noise is only audible if you place your ear 2" from the X-SABRE 3 which I don't do so most likely for me it's going to be unnoticeable.

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #39 of 75
That's something another customer told me but to be honest, I haven't pay too much attention to it. I sent my X-SABRE 3 back to my dealer because I thought it was defective but it wasn't so they sent me a replacement which should arrive next week. I will check mine to see if I hear the noise you are describing but as of now, you are the second person saying about this particular noise. BTW, the other owner said the noise is only audible if you place your ear 2" from the X-SABRE 3 which I don't do so most likely for me it's going to be unnoticeable.
Yeah it’s quite soft but definitely noticeable while I was setting it up and perhaps can be bothersome on a desktop setup. Thankfully with the aircon on here and me nestled in my chair it’s most certainly inaudible.

Sep 21, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #40 of 75
Yeah it’s quite soft but definitely noticeable while I was setting it up and perhaps can be bothersome on a desktop setup. Thankfully with the aircon on here and me nestled in my chair it’s most certainly inaudible.
Wondering if it has to be with the way you are connecting it? The other customer reporting the same noise is using the X-SABRE 3 as a DAC plugged into his PC, I'm not. I use mine as streamer with Roon with only ethernet connection and XLR outs to my monitor controller.

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #41 of 75
Wondering if it has to be with the way you are connecting it? The other customer reporting the same noise is using the X-SABRE 3 as a DAC plugged into his PC, I'm not. I use mine as streamer with Roon with only ethernet connection and XLR outs to my monitor controller.
Currently on RCAs to my headphone amp and streaming via roon. Awaiting my tellurium Q XLRs to be delivered. Will report if that makes a diff.

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #42 of 75
My Element M makes a whirring type noise as well that's barely noticeable when there's no music playing.
Im streaming Roon via wifi to my balanced amp and it makes no difference vs RCA.

It definitely gets drowned out by music and the fan on my PS4.

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #43 of 75
My X-SABRE 3 replacement was shipped today and it should arrive by Monday. I will check my replacement to see if I can hear any noise. Currently checking on my MA mini-i Pro 3 and it makes no whirring noise.

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #45 of 75
I think it’s coming from the unit itself, not audio out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back