NEW: Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3
Oct 20, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #61 of 75
The Element X has headphone amp. Element X is in line for an update and that’s why I went with the X-SABRE 3 over the Element X. The X-SABRE 3 is just gorgeous. Photos don’t do justice on how beautiful this thing looks.
What about sound do you think they're equal? Th Element X can be had used for $1K cheaper than the Sabre.

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #62 of 75
The X-SABRE Pro MQA scored higher SINAD than the Element X so I’m guessing the X-SABRE 3 would score the same or even better than it’s predecessor.

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #63 of 75
The X-SABRE Pro MQA scored higher SINAD than the Element X so I’m guessing the X-SABRE 3 would score the same or even better than it’s predecessor.
Got it thanks.

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #64 of 75
I am considering a x-sabre 3 and have a couple questions:
-Any thoughts on how this would pair with the Burson soloist 3xp?
-my understanding is the Matrix app doesn't work with this. So how is music controlled/changed as a roon endpoint. Do I have to control directly from the roon core or can I use something like the roon app?
-if the front screen is too small to display Metadata, does it have a tangible benefit or more of a novelty.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #65 of 75
I have mine paired with a Topping A90 and it sounds amazing. Pretty sure it would sound great with the Burson.
The Matrix Audio app is not compatible with the X-SABRE 3. You can stream to the X-SABRE 3 via TIDAL Connect, Spotify Connect or using a third patty app like mConnect. I have a Roon Lifetime subscription so I use Roon only to control the X-SABRE 3. If you have Roon, then you don't need anything else. Use your phone, iPad or computer with the Roon app and be done.
The front scree is small, yes. However, it is pretty handy for changing settings. It shows volume level and format when streaming via DLNA. With Roon, it shows format for a few seconds then change to album art. No metadata is shown because the screen is too small. For metadata I built a RoPieeeXL Screen and it works great.

IMG_8645.jpeg

IMG_8646.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #66 of 75
I think Enricoclaudio and I agree a lot about the great sound quality of the Matrix XSAbre 3.

Our comments are based on personal experiences by having tested several dacs, NOT ALL of them since that is impossible.

By this I mean that we are not owners of the absolute truth and we only want to transmit our humble experience.

Dacs from Matrix have proven to be among the best dacs in relation to measurements regardless of price. And in recent years they have shown a quality and aesthetic consistency equal to or better than some much more expensive brands.

I have had the opportunity to test the Matrix 3 against the Terminator plus with the Denafrips Athena preamp, the Gaia digital converter, the Denafrips Apollo power amp and the Hulgich Audio Duke speakers, and at times it was difficult for me to identify which dac was connected.

The degree of transparency of both models is incredible.
You may like it or not and it all depends on the audio system you have and the sound you are looking for.
Wow

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #68 of 75
I talked to two other X-SABRE 3 users that I know of, both of their units have that humming or whirring noise. One decided to return the unit, and the other decided to keep it, and I'll probably return mine.

I have to admit that it's not an issue for music listening, I may be just too nitpicking to live with that imperfection.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #69 of 75
I don't hear anything from mine. I sit about 3 feet away from it

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #71 of 75
Hi guys. Consider to buy X-SABRE 3 as my first roon endpoint, How stable the firmware is? and how can you compare the DAC perfomance with nearest competitors?
Very stable and I don't believe there has been any new firmware released recently (or any need to in my mind). I have had mine for a few months now with zero issues. I don't have true DAC peers to compare it to as I upgraded from a Schiit Bifrost 2. But I am very happy with the improvement here, both in sound quality and usability. I use mine as a Roon endpoint, wifi streaming from my Roon core.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #72 of 75
This thread seems to have died but I'm reviving it to add my review of the X-Sabre 3 if anyone wants to read it. It's an excellent sounding DAC and the streaming integration is superb - I get no improvement by adding expensive external streaming devices rather than just going direct over the network.

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #73 of 75
Let me add that, after years of experiments, I am confident to say that I have resolved the issues of stage height and depth by transferring USB input via AD god HE DDC into AES input and outputting with DH Labs Silver Cyro XLR. This effect is also largely thanks to the power cable of AQ Blizzard PC, which maximizes the seperation and spatial information.

While it is still not as tall nor deep as DCS or Esoteric Discrete dac, it is so darn good enough with this configuration. The caveat are decreased lows and closer to face sound in exchange for revolutionized macro and micro details especially the depth and height of stage.

With the investment of less than 3K on cables and interface, I feel I have tuned X Sabre Dac to a level almost on par with Nagra and Mola Mola. Hifi is in practice, and the proof is in the 👂

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #74 of 75
Jul 5, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #75 of 75
Can anyone comment on the X-Sabre Pro 3 vs Chord Qutest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back