New Marantz SA-8004
Oct 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #151 of 205

Quote:
The output is fixed. In my opinion the marantz as a DAC is better than the HDP but the HDP is a better headphone amp. Although the HDP I've compared had an upgraded sigma 11 external power supply. The Marantz is great if you need to spin discs but if you just want a DAC/HP amp combo there are certainly going to be better options at the price point.

The search continues then...
So far on my short list is the
Peachtree Decco2 ($600)
Burson Audio 160D ($1250)
Benchmark Dac1 Pre ($1595)
Bel Canto Dac 1.5/2.5 ($1395/$1995)

Very interested in the Decco2 considering its price, but how much of an upgrade is it to the HDP...

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #152 of 205
I can't say I've never made this mistake, but please use spaces between paragraphs to space things out and make it easier on the eyes. tl;dr

Quote:
The marantz isn't meant to be a dac/hp combo. It isn't meant to be considered a headphone amp at all. The headphone out is ok, and sounds good for what it is. But it's just there to give you something to listen to. It's by no means considered to be a long term solution. Just compared it to a 2200.00 bryston last night. The bryston is the best dac I've listened to, and really an amazing value for it's price. Before I got there, Brent was raving about it's performance and he was right. It's the most analog sound I've ever heard from digital. With that said the marantz wasn't outclassed either. I would say it was about 90% of the bryston. And it was kind of an unfair comparison. He was using a halide bridge usb converter from the pc into the bryston. For a direct comparison we used the same track played on an ipod through usb on the marantz. Sounstaging, tone and timbre was the same. They both sounded very analog. There was a touch of grain  that you could hear with the marantz that wasn't there with the bryston. But I told Brent that this is typical using the ipod as a transport into the marantz. In my experiences, the ipod input, pc usb input, and cd spinner all sounded the same with the marantz. The sound is quiet a bit better from the digital inputs.  So the fact it was an unfair comparison and the marantz sounded about 90% as good as the bryston when the marantz was only using an ipod as a transport is high praise indeed. Now do I think the marantz would have been just as good if we would have used halide bridge with it? Well no. The bryston still had a little more extension in the bass, with just a touch better control. But I think it would have came close to 95% of it. With a little research I found why they sounded similar. They both uses the same dac chip while the bryston does use two of them. One thing we both agree on, you would have to spend at least twice as much to get better performance than the marantz. And since it does come with a cd player, sacd player, digital input from idevices, 24/96 from pc, ability to play lossless from a usb flash drive and even a full portable hard drive, sounds excellent all for 1000.00 is quiet a feat indeed.

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #153 of 205
If you are strictly looking for DACs then there is a DAC only version from Burson, the DA-160 for a little under $1k on Amazon with probably a better DAC than the 160D considering it is discrete with it's own power supply, etc. Just FYI. Good luck!

Quote:

Peachtree Decco2 ($600)

Very interested in the Decco2 considering its price, but how much of an upgrade is it to the HDP...

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #154 of 205
I really liked my Decco2 with the HE 500 when I had the pair. The tubes warm up the sound a little but it is a little laid back. 

The amp in the Decco2 is the same headamp in all their units up to the iNova (their top of the line). I also heard the LCD 2 out of the Nova and thought it was a little too laid back for my tastes. 

Quote:

Peachtree Decco2 ($600)

Oct 22, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #155 of 205

Quote:
If you are strictly looking for DACs then there is a DAC only version from Burson, the DA-160 for a little under $1k on Amazon with probably a better DAC than the 160D considering it is discrete with it's own power supply, etc. Just FYI. Good luck! 

I'm looking for a DAC, HP Amp, and Pre all-in-one as I can't afford to do separates. 

Quote:
I really liked my Decco2 with the HE 500 when I had the pair. The tubes warm up the sound a little but it is a little laid back. 

The amp in the Decco2 is the same headamp in all their units up to the iNova (their top of the line). I also heard the LCD 2 out of the Nova and thought it was a little too laid back for my tastes. 

I just found out the Decco2 can only do up to 16bit/44.1 through USB. I need at least 24/96

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #156 of 205
I'm looking for a DAC, HP Amp, and Pre all-in-one as I can't afford to do separates. 

I just found out the Decco2 can only do up to 16bit/44.1 through USB. I need at least 24/96

Again, a USB/SPDIF converter will allow hirez if you like everything else about the Peachtree.

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #158 of 205

Quote:
Still patiently waiting to hear from djamtrax regarding a comparison between the SA-8004 and Sony 5400...please do tell!

I am so sorry I forgot to post my impressions here.  In short, the Sony sounds better.  The Sony has a much smoother and more analog sound, BUT the lack of digital input and USB makes it limited in use.  The Sony is a very very good machine for playback of spinning discs both CDs & SACDs.  The Marantz wins because it is a more useful machine.  The headphones out on the Marantz sounds really good with my Sennheiser HD598.  That is a pair made in heaven.  I love how flexible the Marantz is.  The sound quality is really good and you get a DAC, headphones amp & a SACD player for under $999.  Hard to beat!

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #159 of 205
Thank you DjAmTrax.  That is what I was afraid of. 

If the Sony has a much smoother and more analog sound, I guess my search continues.  I'm currently using a Denon 3930ci for disc playback, and a stand alone DAC.  But I'd love to reduce the number of boxes in my system.  I don't really need DVD-A capability as I only own a couple of DVD-As.  What I'm looking for is a CD/SACD player that combines the sonics of the Sony with the functionality of the Marantz.  Perhaps Sony will update the 5400 to include the digital inputs, but I am not confident about that.

By any chance, have you compared the Marantz USB input with lossless digital files to the Sony's CD playback?

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #160 of 205
It's best to audition them yourself and not go on the word of one person. Everybody's ears are different. Both are excellent sounding units. I find the sony brighter and more clinical sounding, but someone else may think it's warm. There are some who prefers the sony and some who prefers the marantz. There's another member on the forum who also prefers the marantz. But you just can't judge which is right for you with someone else ears. But if you can't audition either, then it's best to search the web for reviews and impressions to see if you can form your own opinion. I have come across a few forums that compared both. But it's always best to judge for yourself. I know amazon have a 30 return, and every single thing I ever returned, they covered the shipping. I could easily live with either. But always remember that one person's warm and analog could be another persons bright and analytical.

Oct 25, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #161 of 205
I wonder if uploading a .WAV file from the analog output of both machines will allow users to compare the sound for themselves?

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #162 of 205
No, because the wav file will go through analog to digital conversion and then back to analog with whatever method they chose to play it back with. There's no way to upload an analog file without it have to be digitized first.

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #163 of 205
moodryn: "I have come across a few forums that compared both."

Thanks moodryn.  I do understand that people vary in their perceptions of sound qualities, and also that system synergy can play a big role in different conclusions.

Could you point me to the discussions you refer to which compared the Marantz and Sony players?  Thanks again.

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #164 of 205
Just do a search using google. That's how I found them. If your choices are between the two, then I wouldn't spend two much time trying to decided, since both are very good sounding players. I would just look at which one had the most features I would want, chose that one and be happy. But if you are looking at dac first, then there are a ton more options.

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #165 of 205
I don't think you'll regret getting the Marantz. It's a full featured machine for under $1000. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back