New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Apr 10, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #1,036 of 1,112

Design in the semiconductor industry does not matter that much.
In terms of digital signals, placement of said parts doesn't matter.
Voltage regulation is easily handled, and PCB technology ensures clean signals.

Its all a myth basically.

Computers are 99999999999999x as complex as a DAC or any singular audio component, somhow they function perfectly fine and last for years at minimal costs.
With motherboards being $30 and lasting years using high quality components.
Maybe a $90 board is better in respects to power phasing, but that's where it ends.

All of this "design" crap really doesn't make a difference in the end unless the design / implementation is horrible.
  Is it possible to get this SMSL M8 DAC to work with secure boot enabled? I have the Pre 2016 SMSL M8 and it was working perfectly before I got Windows 10 installed. Now it tells me something is wrong with the driver signature. 

Yes it works fine on my Windows 10 machines.
Just google Xmos driver and download the one for windows 10.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #1,037 of 1,112
  That usually

This is what happens if the installer is corrupted or incomplete, it can sometimes be caused by antivirus' and other times caused by your internet connection dropping to the SMSL site.
Like I said I am using the one from the link I provided.

OK I got a driver that now attempts to install, but I get an error that it thinks the DAC is not connected/turned on.  I have rebooted the DAC multiple times, I have used different USB ports, changed USB cables, made sure that I had USB selected on the DAC.  What else can I do?  Anyone?

http://www.mckinneyhardwoods.com/image2.jpg

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #1,038 of 1,112
    OK I got a driver that now attempts to install, but I get an error that it thinks the DAC is not connected/turned on.  I have rebooted the DAC multiple times, I have used different USB ports, changed USB cables, made sure that I had USB selected on the DAC.  What else can I do?  Anyone?

http://www.mckinneyhardwoods.com/image2.jpg

Does your computer detect it when you plug it in?

May 18, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #1,041 of 1,112
So I am just updating everyone that I have the M8A now also and the M8A runs much cooler than the M8.
The sound signature is the same and while I haven't done any side by side extensive testing yet the M8a has a couple bugs in it with the input switching but otherwise I think that it is comparable despite the slightly lower SNR.

Personally I still think that the Topping D30 is more "organic" than either of them and the M8/M8A filters do taper off some harsh notes in songs better than the D30 so that could be a plus or minus depending on how you look at it.

May 31, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #1,042 of 1,112
So I am just updating everyone that I have the M8A now also and the M8A runs much cooler than the M8.
The sound signature is the same and while I haven't done any side by side extensive testing yet the M8a has a couple bugs in it with the input switching but otherwise I think that it is comparable despite the slightly lower SNR.

Personally I still think that the Topping D30 is more "organic" than either of them and the M8/M8A filters do taper off some harsh notes in songs better than the D30 so that could be a plus or minus depending on how you look at it.

I compared this new M8A DAC with the original M8 and think the old one sounds better. The low Mids are a little bloated and not as coherent as the original M8. Also DSD playback is way too hot compared to PCM (Hi Res flac). DSD playback is 2X louder than the original M8. It almost overloads my preamp. Also it restarted several times when I was comparing the two. I hope they fix these issues or I'm afraid they will have a flop. Sending the M8A back and keeping the original M8. I think I will look at the new GUSTARD DAC-X20 Pro USB and see how the M8 compares.

May 31, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #1,043 of 1,112
I compared this new M8A DAC with the original M8 and think the old one sounds better. The low Mids are a little bloated and not as coherent as the original M8. Also DSD playback is way too hot compared to PCM (Hi Res flac). DSD playback is 2X louder than the original M8. It almost overloads my preamp. Also it restarted several times when I was comparing the two. I hope they fix these issues or I'm afraid they will have a flop. Sending the M8A back and keeping the original M8. I think I will look at the new GUSTARD DAC-X20 Pro USB and see how the M8 compares.

Yes I also had mine crash a few times in testing it. Especially when changing inputs. Also switching it from USB to coax caused it to disconnect from windows which is not some that my M8 does.
I Didn't compare the sound side by side but they definitely sound similar.
The M8A does run much cooler though, while I didn't try DSD the DAC is louder than my daily use Topping D30.

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #1,048 of 1,112
Hi All,
For the SMSL M8 massdrop version which comes with CD, what is the best option for a Windows 10 laptop?
I'm having Jriver 20, should I install the driver in the CD and run in wasapi mode or direct mode or asio mode? Which provides the best SQ?

Also, is the linear power supply supposed to help, only if there are problems with the power connection at your place? (the reason why some people claim no difference with the power supply on)? Will any power supply that provide 9 V, 1.6 A suffice, or does P1 make more difference, based on your experience?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #1,049 of 1,112
Hi All,
For the SMSL M8 massdrop version which comes with CD, what is the best option for a Windows 10 laptop?
I'm having Jriver 20, should I install the driver in the CD and run in wasapi mode or direct mode or asio mode? Which provides the best SQ?

Also, is the linear power supply supposed to help, only if there are problems with the power connection at your place? (the reason why some people claim no difference with the power supply on)? Will any power supply that provide 9 V, 1.6 A suffice, or does P1 make more difference, based on your experience?
I would advise you to download the latest driver from the SMSL support website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back