New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Jul 2, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #736 of 1,112
A techie that wants less options..

M8 landed and now many hours later pushing tha filter button...

(****many maybe not audiophile many a days fiddle) hours later yes.... I am in a happy place.

It's a funny old game was sitting pretty my oppo's had gone some LCD's had landed my beautiful missus made me a head band cushion to ease the heavy Audeze pain, I was in a place ish.. my red usb dragon fly red was flying high for the commute but my home rig lacked that something... 

Home rig is good now, thanks to the M8, well... it is now that I have got passed repeating the first few seconds of favourite tracks and hitting the button to change the filter being over analytical  and being lost and dismayed at what I liked best, settled on slow for my setup..............

LCD 2f getting some ooomph from a like minded china Gustard H10 with some not so china Burson amps drawing magic from this bit "special" SMSL magic that may dim down the line *china in the screen department but I care not it is putting me in a mucho happy place right now (understatement), now that I am not consonantly pressing the filter button...)

LCD 2's slow is the method of the day, china eargasm's constant.

The only thing wrong with this Schit is sadly it is not British made we wish it was, if it was the screen will probably shine bright years to come other than that its bloody ******* brilliant buy one. 

#goodbuy

It is a sabre without the glare everything is in its rightful place a happy one at that.

:)

EDIT on DSD content the button filter mashing did not get passed 50 sounded good to me left it be... PCM filter took some hard listening to find out what I liked best hence the *less/lazy option would of been preferred *happy without live in ignorant bliss was nothing short of an analitical mind **** to fine out where I needed to be.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #740 of 1,112
Hey, thanks for the link! I just purchased this item on Amazon and realized there is no support or a website for the company anymore. What is the issue, does anyone know? Also, do you happen to have the latest firmware for this device? Is it included in the driver package? 

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #741 of 1,112
Yes, unfortunately both SMSL websites I know of (smslaudio.com and smsl-audio.com) are down.
Having bought the DAC just a month ago I assume it has the latest firmware. 
No firmware is included in the driver package.

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #743 of 1,112
So... does it mean SMSL is a deceased company now? Their China website smsl-china.com is also down.
That would be very unfortunate since M8 is an excellent DAC rivaling in performance DACs many times its price.... I use it both with an additional P1 power supply and with 9V rechargeable battery.

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #744 of 1,112
So... does it mean SMSL is a deceased company now? Their China website smsl-china.com is also down.
That would be very unfortunate since M8 is an excellent DAC rivaling in performance DACs many times its price.... I use it both with an additional P1 power supply and with 9V rechargeable battery.

Their website has been flaky over the last few years. Give it a couple of days or weeks and try again.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #745 of 1,112
I just got my SMSL M8, and have a "small" problem. I want to use my Airport Express for Airplay, and have connected it to the M8 with a fiber. But there are drop out's every 2-3 seconds. 

Now if I connect the Airport Express to my surround receiver using the same fiber, and same network connection there are no drop out's.

Also using USB (Macbook Air ==> M8) does not generate any drop out's.

Is this a "know" problem with the M8 ?

Cheers,
Casper

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #746 of 1,112
  I just got my SMSL M8, and have a "small" problem. I want to use my Airport Express for Airplay, and have connected it to the M8 with a fiber. But there are drop out's every 2-3 seconds. 

Now if I connect the Airport Express to my surround receiver using the same fiber, and same network connection there are no drop out's.

Also using USB (Macbook Air ==> M8) does not generate any drop out's.

Is this a "know" problem with the M8 ?

Cheers,
Casper

Probably something to do with excessive jitter and the smsl m8 automatic jitter control switch. Search for how to reduce jitter from the airport.

Aug 4, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #747 of 1,112
  Probably something to do with excessive jitter and the smsl m8 automatic jitter control switch. Search for how to reduce jitter from the airport.

Triplefun,

Thanks, and after a couple of hours hunting I found a post on apples support forum (https://discussions.apple.com/message/28342422#message28342422) mentioning that Apple Airport Express produces jitter with all firmwares after 7.6.1 ... I just downgraded the firmware on my oldest airport express, and no longer any dropouts.

I'm going to keep the M8 until further notice, thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.

p.s. I do not know how to downgrade the firmware on the new square model, but with the older versions it's easy just start Airport Utility, keep option down while clicking on the version number (when clicking on the device) and select 7.6.1, and let it reboot.

Casper

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #749 of 1,112
I also tried to open their page a couple days back and Firefox blocked it as a potential malware installing website.
I know that some malicious software may be installed alongside the legitimate drivers when a website is infected like it was the case recently with Bluetooth car-code readers. Probably that's why SMSL domains were down so they could clean-up their pages? Go figure....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back