New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Jul 31, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #166 of 1,112
Hi, thanks for your replies.

I had a look online yesterday trying to find the correct SoX software to download, but couldn't really fathom out what I need. Any chance of a link to correct application? Thanks

www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=67373

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #168 of 1,112
  Inside P1 Psu

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/33/VddQFa.jpg

Interesting. I ordered one based on the recommendations of that french site a few pages back. They say it takes the M8 to a very high level. I live in the US, so I hope it works with my 110 to 220 adapter. There are some chinese "linear" PSUs on ebay for cheaper, but I decided to stick with smsl based on that recommendation.

Smsl also has a class A amp I haven't seen before - the sAp 8:
http://smsl-audio.com/index.php?c=msg&id=1265&

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #170 of 1,112
Excuse me, another massdrop, so I just found out about this, and will likely be buying, but skimming through the thread I see some of you have been reading foriegn threads on this dac. If you would be so kind, could you please post links to these threads?.... as there are very few threads about this dac in the west.

Also I think Silver Cable is best for digital signal yes very expensive but if you make your own with silver wire the wire doesnt have to be thick guage and then use aluminum powder for shielding maybe in a surgical tube you could make your own usb cable for cheap if its not too long.  Not sure if ifi USB Power is placebo but sure are some positive reviews about that after to upgrading to sata3 I am convinced cabling matters with digital signal no matter how disapproving the claims of digital infallibility computer weenie mainstream stuck-rutters.

ifi Micro DSD is better than M8?

Anyone got any comparisons of the M8 to the Audio-gd line like the NFB-11.32 and the NFB-15.32?  These seem like the direct competitiors the NFB-11.32 with the fullblown ESS9018S for 325 and NFB-15.32 with dual Wolfson 8740s for 250 then making with combined audio-gd burson style discrete amps better can they be bypassed?  Is the SMSL M8 with a superior amp than the audio-gd combined amp superior overall?  Close in price but overall price and is the audio-gd combined amp worth it?  In the midrange dac shootout I didnt see any audio-gd near the top thought it came down to the Aenido D2 vs Yulong DA8 vs Matrix X-Sabre which is supposedly close to the Ressonance Labs Concero HD which is better than the SMSL M8......... Still no idea where Audio-gd fits in...

Ashley I do that to all my modems and I did it to my monitor psu and its even 3 amps shy of the standard but with a fan the powerbrick never overheats........ might wanna invest in a set of hole saws, a drill press, or a metal lathe tho...

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #172 of 1,112

My solution for 220v P1 with transformer "Simran AC-100 Step Up/Down Voltage Converter Transformer 110V/220V-100-watt"

Sound quality of the combination is good I think.
it's 20 dollar solution.

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #174 of 1,112
No difference from 105D for me
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #178 of 1,112
Hey guys, I just received my SMSL m8 today and am trying to test DSD. When ever I try to play a song it gives me the error

"Unrecoverable playback error: Sample rate of 44100 Hz not supported by this device"

I've looked at multiple guides but none of them worked on how to set it up in Foobar2000.

I tried the latest sacd 8.3 along with the latest 7.3 ASIO driver.

Edit: How do I check the current firmware version on it? Found it and mine is already on V6.60

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #179 of 1,112
Xmos don't have a native asio support for dsd, you need to set it to DoP marker 0x005/0x0fa in asio driver\foo_asio_dsd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back