New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Jun 18, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #137 of 1,112
Unfortunately, I've asked that question directly to SMSL, and they have no plans to release a 120v soon. That's bad.

That is disappointing.  The reason I didn't buy the P1 was because it was not 110V/220V compatible which is one of the main reasons I bought the M8 with the wall wart.

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #139 of 1,112
Thanks for the information.
Maybe because of space limitation of p1 for the same size requirement of m8, they might have difficulty winding into 12 or more volt generating coil to feed the voltage regulators when the primary coil is feed 100 volt. I might find a proper transformer  maybe oversized and buy aluminum housing for the transformer and the regulator / filters when the recommended one does not work.

Shown below is a line filter that I quickly made for the alternative solution.

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #140 of 1,112
Jun 22, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #141 of 1,112
A late reply to the post by hpamdr regarding the auto shutdown annoyance:
I posted a hint plus short review "How to defeat the auto-off feature of the SMSL M8" on Amazon last month. Holding the power button down for two seconds will toggle this feature, and it is remembered between shutdowns. The M8 will power on if you disconnect/reconnect its power source, but turning off auto-standby renders this unnecessary. I also mentioned a BIOS feature my motherboard has, which can optionally cut power to two specific USB ports for externally powered DACs, such as the SMSL M8.
I am currently awaiting shipment on an iFi iPower variable output (inc. 9V) "audiophile" AC/DC adapter - not a Linear Power Supply, but supposedly has lower noise than a LPS, according to their website - http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/
It's around $50 from MusicDirect.com, but shipment estimate is 4-6 weeks. No word yet, and tomorrow is the 6-week mark since my order went through. I'll give it another week till I contact them.
[EDIT: Just got word it shipped today]

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #142 of 1,112
1 micro volt at what current rating?

Their specification can be tested out with respect to the dynamic current demand of M8.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #143 of 1,112
Originally Posted by Joong 

The seller sent 200 volt unit of P1, which is ok in Chinese or Oriental market.
Maybe he does not know North American voltage.

Is there anybody who can inform me of how to fix it?

Personally I'd change the mains transformer, just ensure you get the correct type.

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #144 of 1,112
Thanks for the info.
But I decided to sell it, which is now on sale in classified in source section.
I might buy a Teradak linear power supplier, or remain with Battery pack with home made LPF block which gets me good SQ.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #145 of 1,112
I'm planning on buying 3 of these DACs (DSP system) and I'll be buliding my own regulated power supply for them, I'll be trying a few regulators with them to assess the best match as I find DACs unpredictable in this regard, like the Jung Didden Weekes Super regulator is not the best match for all of them, toying with the idea of bypassing/removing the 7805 surface mount regulator, mainly on grounds of reducing noise. theres a new LT reg with current source reference and 27uV noise which looks interesting in a 7 pin TO220 package, there are also interesting surface mount regs but in a 3mm package beyond my skills! I'm kind of hoping a super reg works best as I'll be building them anyway!

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #146 of 1,112
i did used a LT3080 to go from 12v to 9v  with 5x2000 uF25v nichiton just after the toroidal transformer and the diodes. I chosed the soft start implementation with a 900K 0.1% resistor..
I did not replaced the internal 7805 and the result is much beter than the std 9v adapter .

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #149 of 1,112
  M8 up on massdrop again for $179.  I'm in.

It is a very good unit but I wish it had better documentation and support.  I am glad to have it and use it almost everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back