New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Mar 12, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #556 of 1,112
This is how a USB digital audio interface is used in my playing systems:

PC->USB->Gustard U12->Coaxial cable->M8 (or other DACs)->Amp

There might be many reasons, but the fact that a USB digital audio interface such as Gustard U12 or Breeze U8 (I have both and I like U8 better) has its own (good) power supply and its own (good again) clock is an important factor.

But doesnt this asynchronous SMSL M8 already have its own (2) clocks in it?
Now the same digital signal is just routed through another device, then back to M8, which still has its (not that good?) powersupply.
What about the M8's coaxial input + digital to analg conversation? The M8 power supply is not dependent here? Does the M8's "drawbacks" here disappear simply by routing the signal thru Gustard?
Not to speak that most analog part is still dependent of the M8's (not so good?) powersupply.

In worst case scenario, isnt there a possibility that you might only be combining noise's (etc unwanted) from 2 different devices?

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #557 of 1,112
That driver causes the touchpad on my laptop to go totally crazy while the device is plugged in... Very weird and a bit disconcerting. The SMSL site doesn't even seem to exist anymore. Where did you obtain the driver, and/or do you know where new firmware / drivers can be obtained?

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #559 of 1,112
Hi guys,

I just received my new M8 yesterday. The specs say that when using USB Input 32bits/384kHz is possible. I'm running W7 and installed the driver that came with the DAC, but the "highest" mode I can chose is 24bit/192kHz. What am I missing?

Firschi

Mar 12, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #560 of 1,112

I just received my new M8 yesterday. The specs say that when using USB Input 32bits/384kHz is possible. I'm running W7 and installed the driver that came with the DAC, but the "highest" mode I can chose is 24bit/192kHz. What am I missing?

I think you can only get that rate through foobar with the SoX resampler plugin, but I hope I'm wrong. Foobar works fine, though.

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #561 of 1,112
  Hi guys,

Firschi

To go beyond 192kHz, M8 has to be connected to your PC via USB. 

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #564 of 1,112
  That driver causes the touchpad on my laptop to go totally crazy while the device is plugged in... Very weird and a bit disconcerting. The SMSL site doesn't even seem to exist anymore. Where did you obtain the driver, and/or do you know where new firmware / drivers can be obtained?

The SMSL site is still there, but Chrome wouldn't let me download the M8 driver, seems to think it's malware.

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #565 of 1,112
I guess the site was having some problem, anyone having trouble downloading I uploaded the latest driver to zippyshare. http://www39.zippyshare.com/v/mgzGDrLj/file.html taken from smsl-audio.com ^^
Don't have my HE-560 with me, so I don't really notice too much difference from Modi 2U. I do notice an overall cleaner sound, especially around higher frequency instead of slightly congested from modi 2. One huge advantage is the 2.5v output compared to 1.5v output from modi 2. Low output voltage has been a problem for my amp op amps lately.
When I get the HE-560 in my hands, hopefully I can do a detailed comparison.

If you're having trouble Windows recognizing, you have to make sure you go to sound settings and make it as default communication & default device if you are having trouble.

The SMSL site is still there, but Chrome wouldn't let me download the M8 driver, seems to think it's malware.

Refer to my last post, I've managed to download the zip file by disabling malware protection option in Chrome. Unzipped and uploaded it.

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #566 of 1,112
The driver you uploaded matches the one that came with the M8 Package. It makes the M8 work with a W7 System but I cannot figure out how to use 32/384...
confused.gif

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #567 of 1,112
  The driver you uploaded matches the one that came with the M8 Package. It makes the M8 work with a W7 System but I cannot figure out how to use 32/384...
confused.gif

Is you music source in 32/384 format? Is your music source a DSD file? 

I do not have any 384 music files. However, I tried to you jriver to upsample my music files upto 384 and it worked through the direction USB connection but not through independent USB interface + coaxial cable. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #570 of 1,112
I don't know if Im having a problem or not with my unit.

seems like my Macbook Pro sound card might actually be bypassing the external DAC itself, as the keyboard volume controls still work, which is the exact opposite of my Audioengine D1 which locks out keyboard controls. 

Is this just my paranoia going on or do I really have situation going on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back