New Luxman P1u amp
Jan 31, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #31 of 34
Nice review going Al, my wallet is very scared of what you are finding!
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, is the 'through out' just a line level passthrough or is it a variable line out (in other words, a pre-amp out)?

Checked it out because I was curious too. The RCA through out is just that: the RCA input goes right back output without anything seeming to happen to it at all. It is line level and unaffected by the volume control on the P-1u. In fact, if you have balanced and s/e inputs attached, you can listen to the balanced source from the P-1u and listen to the RCA source from whatever you attach the through output to, in this case the P-1 sitting under the P-1u.
atsmile.gif
Turning off the P-1u has no effect at all, so it is simply wired from RCA in to RCA out.

And before anybody asks or freaks out, you cannot get the balanced source to be output because that would require the s/e to balanced conversion, etc., so that is just not happening with a "through out" like this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review going Al, my wallet is very scared of what you are finding!
wink.gif

Be afraid, Miguel, be very afraid!
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #34 of 34
A couple of people asked how the JH|13 Pros sound out of the P-1u, so I thought I would post a quick comment. I already knew the P-1 drove them extremely well, but I tried the JH|13 out last night and the P-1u hit another home run. The JH|13s are so much better with really good amplification, and the P-1u / P-1 drive them better than anything else I can recall hearing. The silent background and very balanced volume control obviously factor into that performance. You forget you are wearing IEMs and the immersion in music is complete. Fantastic stuff.

blessingx came by last night and did some A/B listening with the P-1 and P-1u to see if they sound as similar as I feel they do. At first, he thought there might be some slight differences in presentation but after equalizing the volume level as much as possible his tentative thought was that it is hard to distinguish between them. Ric is taking the P-1u for a few days before it moves on to the next lucky member in the loaner program, and I hope he will post up his own comments and experiences with them.

Great. Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back