new love for the hd280
Mar 21, 2005 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

eight08

100+ Head-Fier
i've been passive/aggressively bashing the 280 on these boards ever since i got them. firstly, the clamping force on these things were ridiculously high. i realize that their intended use is for monitor situations, but regardless, i was stuck with them. i left them dangerously in a stretched position for days straight too.. didnt help me one bit. the sound too, never impressed me. i thought it was lacking in bass and overall impact. i also found the highs a little harsh with some tracks.

so anyway, i finally hacked it... took apart the headband - took some pliers to it! essentially straightening the radius of the metal band. the pads now rest about an inch away from each other when hanging (used to clamp hard against each other)

squashed the pads under some books for a couple of days to "soften" them up.

did the "blu-tak" mod, i only applied the poster tack to the inner circle and i used a quater sized piece of foam right under the driver. quite a big surprise. i thought i was imagining the increase in impact, but i took everything out again just to make sure. it's relatively night and day with the mod.

for the money spent, pretty amazing cans actually
280smile.gif
now i can bring my 280 back into rotation... like owning a new pair of headphones.

Mar 21, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #2 of 63
Mabey you can convince Bower64 to stop hating the 280's
280smile.gif

So many people who dont like the 280's at first finally decide that they like them later on after burn in and headband relaxation, and in your case the blu-tac mod.

Mar 21, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
What area do you think most improved other than clamping force, more bass impact or less harsh treble ? Thanks.

i cant hear any significant change in the treble.. however, because of such an improved bass response - i do feel they are way more balanced (to me) than before.

Mar 22, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 63
Do they isolate as much now that you have stretched the band out? Do you think you could post some pics of how to bend the headband so the cups sit 1 inch apart like you did?

pretty please?

Mar 22, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
Do they isolate as much now that you have stretched the band out? Do you think you could post some pics of how to bend the headband so the cups sit 1 inch apart like you did?

pretty please?

sure... ill try and snap some pics when i get home tonight.

Mar 22, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
no. i like the 280's well enough, but they ain't SR-60's. keep in mind that i'm in the SR-60 mafia, though
wink.gif

same here... i have both.. i love both.. now anyway.

Mar 22, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #11 of 63
I bought some 280s from MeithKiller. He said he didn't use them much - but they sound good. The mid-bass could be stronger - but I expected to have to equalize them.

I have a head so big that I can't buy hats - they don't fit - none of them. (Well my knit hat does but it looks pretty tight). But the 280s seem just fine on my head. (Perhaps it is because my head is somewhat flattened!?!). The bowls do touch with light pressure when not being worn - perhaps Keith Miller has a round head?

Anyway - is there any kind of consensus on the blu tak mod? Is it good? Is the semi blu tak mod mentioned here just as good - or better?

I bought the tak. I am just a little trigger shy.

(BTW I have read every thread I could find on the blu-tak mod. From my memory it seems that most people thought it was pretty good - a mild but definite difference, one or two thought it made the sound slightly worse or had no effect. Is this correct? Or do I need to go back and read them all again?)

Mar 22, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 63
Wow! i was just tinkering with my EQ on Foobar with my 280's and i just found a wealth of bass. The secret was using the auto level option. Right now im at (from low freq to high freq) -1 -1 0 -1 -2 -4 -7 -9 -9 -9 -9 -8 -8 -7 -6 -6 -6

The bass is more powerful, deeper, and much cleaner than it used to be when it was all at the positive end of the EQ spectrum. to fix the lack of volume you just crank up the volume a bit on your amp, speakers, or what have you. hope this helps.

Mar 22, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #13 of 63
Someone on a thread recommended pumping up the 50-70 hz range. My IRiver can do 40hz, or 60 HZ or 100Hz (and higher).

Does 60 Hz sound about right ?? ANyone want to guess?

Mar 22, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #14 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by donaldekelly
Someone on a thread recommended pumping up the 50-70 hz range. My IRiver can do 40hz, or 60 HZ or 100Hz (and higher).

Does 60 Hz sound about right ?? ANyone want to guess?

i would EQ the mid bass and the lowest frequency on you EQ. The 280 suffers a bit from a dented mid bass but it can be hammered out by the EQ. The low-lows dont need much help but i give mine a fair boost for good measure (im a bass head
basshead.gif
280smile.gif
basshead.gif
)

Mar 22, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #15 of 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Back