Lotoo PAW S2 USB DAC AMP 150 mW@32 ohm 4.4 , MQA - New Firmware released 26 January 2.0.0.5 link added first post.
Oct 11, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #76 of 443
I hadn’t noticed that. One of the reasons I’ve decided not to upgrade was I figured there would be more power draw. The output power and the new cables, I thought, were the only difference between the S1 and S2.

On burn in now, will share sound impressions later. BUT, adding full playback remote control is awesome! Now you can change volume, skip tracks, and play/pause from S2 without a need to turn on your phone or tablet digging for playback app. New cable, usb-c to usb-c otg is higher quality for sure, tighter fit of usb-c connectors. New belt clip is really neat too, this way keeps S2 clipped to your pocket with a phone in the pocket and headphones connected to the top. The size is the same and current draw is only 10mA higher.

20211011_143337_resized.jpg20211011_143437_resized.jpg20211011_143506_resized.jpg20211011_143539_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #80 of 443
On burn in now, will share sound impressions later. BUT, adding full playback remote control is awesome! Now you can change volume, skip tracks, and play/pause from S2 without a need to turn on your phone or tablet digging for playback app. New cable, usb-c to usb-c otg is higher quality for sure, tighter fit of usb-c connectors. New belt clip is really neat too, this way keeps S2 clipped to your pocket with a phone in the pocket and headphones connected to the top. The size is the same and current draw is only 10mA higher.

20211011_143337_resized.jpg20211011_143437_resized.jpg20211011_143506_resized.jpg20211011_143539_resized.jpg
Twister6

Look forward to your review
Question:
Aside from testing as a straight DAC/AMP with IEM's/Headphones connected, will you also be testing the Line Out function with the Cayin C9?
This is the main reason I sold my PAW S1 to and have PAW S2 on its way in, but would love to hear your thought when used in this fashion.
My main reason for using this way, a quick and easy way to take streaming from a phone or Laptop and get it into the C9.
Thanks for letting me ask!

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #81 of 443
Twister6

Look forward to your review
Question:
Aside from testing as a straight DAC/AMP with IEM's/Headphones connected, will you also be testing the Line Out function with the Cayin C9?
This is the main reason I sold my PAW S1 to and have PAW S2 on its way in, but would love to hear your thought when used in this fashion.
My main reason for using this way, a quick and easy way to take streaming from a phone or Laptop and get it into the C9.
Thanks for letting me ask!

I need to confirm, but thought LO will be added in the next fw update.

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #82 of 443
I need to confirm, but thought LO will be added in the next fw update.
Twister6

Thanks for the heads up!
It is something in their initial marketing it will be offered, but then again so was MQA support on S1 which did take a few FW revisions before it was available
Hoping it will be there from the start, but if it is future release, at least its there/planned, and the main reason upgraded from S1 to S2. All other features were nice to haves, but the LO ability for me is the "must have" item and compelling reason to update.

Thanks again and do look forward to your review!

Oct 11, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #83 of 443
Twister6

Thanks for the heads up!
It is something in their initial marketing it will be offered, but then again so was MQA support on S1 which did take a few FW revisions before it was available
Hoping it will be there from the start, but if it is future release, at least its there/planned, and the main reason upgraded from S1 to S2. All other features were nice to haves, but the LO ability for me is the "must have" item and compelling reason to update.

Thanks again and do look forward to your review!

The problem with MQA was outside of their control, they had to wait for a long time to be certified by a 3rd party. Here, the hardware is in place, just need to finalize implementation in fw, so I hope it will be much sooner.

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #85 of 443
Any more impressions of the S2?
Looking forward 🙂.

Will have some soon. But as a spoiler, S2 approached W2 level of technical performance, close enough. Even their pricing is the same if you factor in new Lotoo S2 lighting cable (also updated). There is some difference in tonality, need to spend a little more time to collect my notes, but I think S2 might be edging W2 now out because it offers full remote control playback (play/pause/skip), carry on belt clip, and less current draw to make it friendlier with iPhones.

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #87 of 443
Another update. Lotoo redesigned their usb-c to usb-c OTG cable, S2 comes with a short one and a long one, and has optional usb-c to lightning as well. For those who are familiar with their original usb-c to lightning cable, it wasn't able to provide 5V to the dongle, only 3.85V. Per my measurements, the new updated lighting OTG cable provides a solid 5V output.

1634180857746.png

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #88 of 443
Another update. Lotoo redesigned their usb-c to usb-c OTG cable, S2 comes with a short one and a long one, and has optional usb-c to lightning as well. For those who are familiar with their original usb-c to lightning cable, it wasn't able to provide 5V to the dongle, only 3.85V. Per my measurements, the new updated lighting OTG cable provides a solid 5V output.

1634180857746.png
Love these updates. Patiently waiting for the whole review, as I need a dongle. Would definitely like to hear the pairing with the EVO compared to the W2. Just from the addition of the full remote control, it seems like a perfect portable solution.

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #89 of 443

1634180857746.png
Twister6

Thank you for these updates
UPS confirmed my PAW S2 is being delivered tomorrow, then burn in starts so between being able to test on my own and anxiously awaiting your full review, going to have something to look forward to!

TM

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #90 of 443

1634180857746.png

Does the USB-C to Lightning cable come with the S2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back