New: Logitech Transporter SE
Jan 13, 2011 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

IPodPJ

MOT: Bellatone Audio
Caution: Incomplete customer orders
In case anyone wasn't aware of this, it came out about 2 weeks ago and retails for $1499.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/devices/7934

It's $500 less than the original Transporter with the only difference being:

"The Transporter SE has the exact same technical specification as the Transporter, and therefore it delivers the same level of sound quality audiophiles strive for. The only difference between these two models lies in the access of the system's functions. On the Transporter SE, many of the functions that were previously accessed by the TransNav™ controller on the front of the unit are now accessed through the included remote control."

It was a very smart business move for Logitech to re-release this unit, and do it for $500 less than before.  Lots of people were demanding they bring it back.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 12
Sorry for the late response - missed this on first posting. I wonder if they mean the functions can now only be accessed through the remote. They were selling this at 20% off at the time you posted this too, which I also missed. Do you like this device? Thanks for your post.

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Sorry for the late response - missed this on first posting. I wonder if they mean the functions can now only be accessed through the remote. They were selling this at 20% off at the time you posted this too, which I also missed. Do you like this device? Thanks for your post.

Yes, I love mine.  I've also had it modified though with some serious upgrades.

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 12
let me second the love here, fwiw. I'm listening to mine right now - finally through XLR into a more potent, balanced amp, and wow! hi-rez files excel, but frankly it also does very well with all sorts of VBR files, and my iPeng software on an iTouch makes it extremely convenient for family members or guests to pick music they want to listen to.

silly as it is, I'll admit to liking the Transporter enough that I was considering buying a second one just to have a backup when they appeared to have discontinued it. glad to see Transporters back on offer! I've been recommending them to friends. few things beat the convenience of a streaming server, and there are few if any trade-offs to SQ with this one (I used to have stock and modified Squeezeboxes before).

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 12
Actually, this so-called Transporter SE is not what it appears to be.  You can read about it on the SB forums.  Logitech is only trying to clear out old merchandise, which is really unfair to owners of existing Transporters.  They should instead be saving these parts for people that might have any problems with their units.  So apparently they don't have any more aluminum knobs or TransNav devices, so the Transporter SE has a big, ugly round plug stuck in the center to cover up the hole.  Instead of creating a new style of knob, they plug it up with a piece of plastic and call it a special edition to clear out inventory.

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 12
Wow, that's pretty sad. Sean Adams, one of the original co-founders of Slim Devices and designer of the Transporter, left the company not that long after the Logitech buyout. Word has it he couldn't stand the Logitech corporate types. I'm really not surprised at Logitech's move. They're a typical big profit driven company. Just look a the highly variable quality of their PC/multimedia speakers. Even the high end ones, at a given price point, range from horrible to decent year to year. They seem to slap their name on anything they think might sell at a big profit with little concern for how it actually performs.

It's sad they recently bought Ultimate Ears. I can't wait for the Justin Bieber edition UE headphones to come out to show up my friends with their Dr Dre's...
beyersmile.png

Hopefully nothing will go wrong with my Transporter that I can't fix. It's mostly a very well designed product and still is one of the finest of its kind many years after its introduction. How many similar products can claim that?

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 12
ouch

Quote:
Actually, this so-called Transporter SE is not what it appears to be.  You can read about it on the SB forums.  Logitech is only trying to clear out old merchandise, which is really unfair to owners of existing Transporters.  They should instead be saving these parts for people that might have any problems with their units.  So apparently they don't have any more aluminum knobs or TransNav devices, so the Transporter SE has a big, ugly round plug stuck in the center to cover up the hole.  Instead of creating a new style of knob, they plug it up with a piece of plastic and call it a special edition to clear out inventory.

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:

So what do you expect from a company that specializes in Keyboard and Mice???

Want an "Audio" product go to an "Audio" company....you would not buy Pizza from an automotive repair company would you?

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 12
Ridiculous but not surprising. Give your money to people who care about audio and sell and market their products with integrity.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #11 of 12
now, now. I still use all my computers for audio even though they're not marketed as music servers either.

Quote:
So what do you expect from a company that specializes in Keyboard and Mice???

Want an "Audio" product go to an "Audio" company....you would not buy Pizza from an automotive repair company would you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back