New listening impressions of Stax C32 prototype and Shipping SR-009
Jun 22, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #1,037 of 1,514

Quote:
Wow, $8,600..
You can buy 2 of them from Price Japan with that sum of money.

For that amount of money, you can also buy a R/T to Japan, come enjoy the warm summer, stay at nice ryokan, pick up one pair of 009 and fly back home with probably some pocket change!

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #1,038 of 1,514

Quote:
How much more awesome would that look with a little custom front panel design?

Bleh, we are on team minimalist and those bloody boxes were expensive enough as is.  I wanted one in silver but it would have been around 600$ extra so Kevin custom made for me solid titanium volume knob and then gave it to me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
You talking that fully symmetrical idea? 

Nope, a fully balanced DHT based amp.  Just the filament supplies would cost a fortune to build. 

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #1,039 of 1,514

Quote:
Bleh, we are on team minimalist and those bloody boxes were expensive enough as is.  I wanted one in silver but it would have been around 600$ extra so Kevin custom made for me solid titanium volume knob and then gave it to me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

It would be awesome if team overkill didn't cede to team minimalist when it comes to front panel design, but I guess it doesn't really matter all that much. Not that the physical appearance effects anything other than our own pride, but I would love to see what you and the other T2 builders could do with it. A nice front panel could be the icing on the proverbial cake.

I'll give team minimalist credit though... that BH you built for n3rdling is sexy as hell and stands up very well to Justin's fantastic BHSE work.

Nice choice with the silver knob, btw.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #1,040 of 1,514

Quote:
Well, you do know that the Blue Hawaii had like half the distortion of the KGSS right? Despite being a tube amp, it was rocking something like less than 0.004% THD.

But if tubes don't float your boat, then perhaps the KGSSHV or the DIY T2 SS version will, but you'd have to be bonkers to build the latter =P.

wait...is there really a SS version of the T2 DIY?

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #1,041 of 1,514
not that i'd heard - sounds interesting!   ...would it even be possible though? i dont think the power transistors exist that could handle it

Quote:
wait...is there really a SS version of the T2 DIY?

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #1,043 of 1,514
Just had a listen to the SR009 today. Meridian 808.3 was the source, SRM-007 MK 2 was its amplifier with cardas golden cross balanced interconnects. Great soundstage, very extended crispy highs, the highs are possible the best feature. Deep nice bass in the bottom (Though not super tight, but this is being very picky), very dynamic. In my ears, the mids are its weakness although I could not pint point what it was. 

I have also listened the SR009 with the modded 727a in comparision with the O2mkI, SR Omega   and sometime with the HE90 for 2 weeks now from the pair from Pricejapan.   My amplifier may not be one of the better amplifier .   I think that I prefer it more than the O2mkI which is darker, more coloured and smaller soundstage.   The SR009 is definitely better than the O2mkI but I prefer the SR Omega more than the SR009 because the SR009 seem to be a little bit more coloured and more forwarding mid comparing to the SR Omega.  I did not say that it is coloured but the SR Omega is more neutral.  The more laid back nature of the SR Omega make me prefer the SR Omega than the SR009.   I have no problem with the extended and crispy highs I think it is not treble overbright for me.   The bass is also very good , the same as aRRR's comment

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #1,044 of 1,514
They ask €6000 for the SR-009 ($8600). Great headphone, possible the best,  but not worth this price, only if you can easily afford it. I think I'll stick with my K1000 & Zanden 300B 

The SR009 is still available in Pricejapan  around 4350-4400$, although Kaneda Sensei said that the waiting list is 3-4 weeks.    I saw the buy it now in kuboten.com  that there is one site
that may have the SR009 right way at around 4850$   . 

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #1,045 of 1,514
You may try kuboten.com.   I just entered its website and found one buy it now at 368,000 Yen
and one mint SR009 auction which will end in 3 days starting at 289,000 Yen.   I think you will
see more of them coming with a cheaper price soon.
STAX SR-009 (mint)
現在の価格​
Current Price
space.gif
:​
:
289,000 円
289,000 yen
残り時間​
Remaining time
:
3 日詳細な残り時間 )​
3 days ( more time remaining ).
入札件数​
Number of bids
:
0入札履歴 )​
0 ( Bid History )

個数​
Qty
space.gif
:
1​
One
開始時の価格​
Starting price
:
289,000 円​
289,000 yen
最高額入札者​
The highest amount bid
:
なし​
No
開始日時​
Start Date
:
6月 22日 21時 2分​
June 22 2:21 minutes
終了日時​
End date
:
6月 26日 21時 51分​
June 26 21:00 51 minutes
Add to Calendar
入札者評価制限​
Limit the bidder evaluation
:
あり(評価の合計がマイナスの方は入札できません)​
Yes (if a negative can not bid the sum of ratings)
早期終了​
Early Termination
:
あり​
Yes
自動延長​
Automatic extension
:
あり​
Yes
オークションID​
Auction ID
:
b122211674​
b122211674
商品の状態​
Product Status
:
中古​
Used
返品の可否​
Returns whether or not
:
返品不可​
NO REFUNDS  

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #1,047 of 1,514

Quote:
Just had a listen to the SR009 today. Meridian 808.3 was the source, SRM-007 MK 2 was its amplifier with cardas golden cross balanced interconnects. Great soundstage, very extended crispy highs, the highs are possible the best feature. Deep nice bass in the bottom (Though not super tight, but this is being very picky), very dynamic. In my ears, the mids are its weakness although I could not pint point what it was. 

I have also listened the SR009 with the modded 727a in comparision with the O2mkI, SR Omega   and sometime with the HE90 for 2 weeks now from the pair from Pricejapan.   My amplifier may not be one of the better amplifier .   I think that I prefer it more than the O2mkI which is darker, more coloured and smaller soundstage.   The SR009 is definitely better than the O2mkI but I prefer the SR Omega more than the SR009 because the SR009 seem to be a little bit more coloured and more forwarding mid comparing to the SR Omega.  I did not say that it is coloured but the SR Omega is more neutral.  The more laid back nature of the SR Omega make me prefer the SR Omega than the SR009.   I have no problem with the extended and crispy highs I think it is not treble overbright for me.   The bass is also very good , the same as aRRR's comment

kiertijai i'm very interested in your impressions with a T2 or a BHSE! Please don't let go of any Stax headphone until you listen to it with them! According to members who have heard both the SR-Omega and the SR-007 with the BHSE or the T2 find that the later is a more neutral and less colored superior headphone!
Spritzer can confirm! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #1,048 of 1,514
I will try that more when I have those but not right now.
I don't think that the O2mkI is neutral but any way I will try to listen to the other source.
But definitely Spritzer is the person that you should listen to especially with the BHSE, SRM T2
that he have and the new DIY T2

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #1,049 of 1,514

All this amp-worship seems strange to me. There are differences between amps, but they aren't that significant. I have both the SR-007 mk1 and the SR-009. The differences between these headphones are MUCH more significant than any differences that I notice by changing amps - I have the KGSS, 323S, 007ta, and 727a. I can't say for sure that the BHSE and T2 don't make more of a difference because I haven't listened to them, but I'd be extremely surprised if the differences are anything but minor.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #1,050 of 1,514
Well I do think that the amplifier made a significant difference in quality
I also agree that the headphone design also have difference but its full potentiality
can be shown by the very good amplifier.  I haven't heard those very hi end amplifier
yet but from what I heard from the SRM300, 727 unmodded and 727 modded and
those amplifiers in the Thai Canjoin meeting does make a lot of difference. The
incremental cost of improving the sound by upgrading the amplifier will be very difficult
to assess though like how can you measure satisfaction joy pleasure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back