New listening impressions of Stax C32 prototype and Shipping SR-009
Jul 29, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #1,277 of 1,514

Quote:

I didn't find the HE90 to have any sibilance maybe b/c I'm using a tube output CD player.  What setup did you hear the HE90 out of?  Also, 90% of the highend cans out there will have weaker bass than the SR007.  Having a beautiful tone and better clarity are more important to my ears.   To each his own, of course.   

I agree with Purk.  My HE90's have zero audible sibilance whatsoever, and I'm exceedingly sensitive to this.  It may be in the source, I have a few different DACs and none of them produce sibilance (Playback Designs MPS-5, Amarra Model 4, PS Audio PWD).  With the WES (maxxed and tweaked and very good NOS tubes), I definitely prefer the HE90 over the 007 Mk1 and Mk2 - have had a handful of professional musicians over (and a few speaker-only audiophiles) and all preferred by a wide margin the HE90 over the 007's.  Been waiting for a while for the 009's to arrive (should be imminent from what I'm told), and also have a BHSE hopefully arriving soon (been waiting over year...don't get me started), so at that point can make some comparisons based on best amp/headphone pairings.  No question the 007 Mk1 sounds underpowered with the WES, and from reports to date, 009 may not be.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #1,278 of 1,514
I owned the Orpheus system and my impressions are only with the HE90 and HEV90 together. I tried the system with several sources including the Audio note dac 3.1x. The treble was a bit aggressive and sharp, maybe the word sibilant is not the best to describe the quality. Please read Mr Meiers impressions, he also found the treble to be aggressive. In direct comparison, the Stax sr 507 has a much more relaxed and also higher resolving treble without any harshness, and also a more powerful bass. The mids are not as warm, but overall the 507 is more neutral and does not have any major weakness.
The HE90 and all lambdas also do not portrait layers in the soundstage as the sr 007. The soundstages in HE90 and lambdas are wide but not very deep.
I also listened to another orpheus system and found the same sound character as mine.
So far I have not heard the perfect headphone. Maybe the SR009??

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #1,279 of 1,514

Quote:
I owned the Orpheus system and my impressions are only with the HE90 and HEV90 together. I tried the system with several sources including the Audio note dac 3.1x. The treble was a bit aggressive and sharp, maybe the word sibilant is not the best to describe the quality. Please read Mr Meiers impressions, he also found the treble to be aggressive. In direct comparison, the Stax sr 507 has a much more relaxed and also higher resolving treble without any harshness, and also a more powerful bass. The mids are not as warm, but overall the 507 is more neutral and does not have any major weakness.
The HE90 and all lambdas also do not portrait layers in the soundstage as the sr 007. The soundstages in HE90 and lambdas are wide but not very deep.
I also listened to another orpheus system and found the same sound character as mine.
So far I have not heard the perfect headphone. Maybe the SR009??

Not sure you know this but one can re-tube the HEV90 to be slightly smoother in high.  I'm now using Telefunken and Amperex on mine.  My stock tubes were all Siemens.

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #1,283 of 1,514

Quote:
I had an old original He90.
Anyway I would like to hear some more impressions on the sr009.

Apparently not in this thread.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #1,284 of 1,514
I can throw in a cliche about hearing things into the music I haven't heard before. I was pointing out to my family that the tune played by some or other device here was Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. Of course, that meant that at some point I had to dial it up to listen again.  One of the awesome things about high-end listening is hearing the standing waves in pianos and from pipe organs as the different notes intermingle with each other. What I hadn't heard was the same thing going on as the sounds of the organ echoed off the walls of the hall or church where Peter Hurford was playing.  That was just awesome. The O2s do that too, but I haven't tried them with pipe organ music yet to compare.

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #1,285 of 1,514

Quote:
As I told Kiertijai yesterday, that doesn't sound too hot to me.  The 300B is a horrible choice for Stax outputs since its max plate voltage is only 450V compared to say 800V of the El34.  That means not a whole lot of voltage swing or one has to use low ratio transformers to boost the output with all the issues that entails.  211's or 845's would be a much better fit but these aren't exactly easy to design around... 

you're right, but an amp with the 845 has already been done .::dde::dddd

you're right, but an amp with the 845 has already been done  

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #1,287 of 1,514

Quote:
............. My HE90's have zero audible sibilance whatsoever, and I'm exceedingly sensitive to this. ...............  

100% agree here.    The first I judge a headphone is sibilance.  I found HE90 is extremely relaxed with absolutely zero sibilance whatsover.   In fact some people feel it is a bit "too relaxed".     I have albums that are known for their recording lean towards sibilance but they passed HE90 beautifully.   I'm using KGSS which is not supposed to be a "mellow" amp in this regard.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #1,290 of 1,514

Quote:
Would the SRM600 Limited be better than my SRM727ii?

Can't say for the 009 but I am pretty sure I compared the SRM600 to both 727A and 007tA while I was buying my 007mkII and ended up preferring the 727A over the others. Would need to dig up some old post I made about some auditions at Dyna 5555 but too lazy now so be my guest :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back