New listening impressions of Stax C32 prototype and Shipping SR-009
May 20, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #646 of 1,514
I was at the Yodobashi store in Akihabara tonight (I think the same place you went Gu Sensei?), shopping for something else. I went to the 009 rig and did a short listen (727 amp, Marantz SA15s2 I believe). Didn't bring any music so listened to the CD in there. Nearby was the 007mkII paired with 007t amplifier, same source, same CD.

Now, guess what... I lift up the head looking at the stock of boxes and I notice two brand new 009 boxes! I ask the vendor... Yep, just got in this morning, they were previously sold out the whole month since the few sold at official release date. I was really really itchy with the credit card but decided against it. It is soo expensive, I can't see how I can justify this! 

Also, one thing that was holding me back at the store is that actually, the 009 rig in that store is really not as convincing as the several times I've listened to it before. I don't know how much is due to the noisy environment (these cans are basically providing zero isolation), CD player or source material but the 009 did sound too bright on some of the samples played (some rock recordings). Imaging wasn't great either compared to what I listened to before but it must have to do with poor choice of source material. It turns out that the 007mkII through the Stax tube amp was much more forgiving and made the music more listenable. I still think I'd most likely be ok at home with my source and most of my music though but I am pretty I will be holding on to my SR007 even after I get the 009.

Anyhow, I assume every store in the area has also received a couple of pairs in stock since today and it probably also means the (second batch?) has shipped overseas so we should read a whole lot more impressions in the next week!

May 20, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #648 of 1,514
He is trying to find every reason not to buy one even though we all know he'll end up biting the bullet eventually.

May 20, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #650 of 1,514

Quote:
He is trying to find every reason not to buy one even though we all know he'll end up biting the bullet eventually.

Well, indeed and resistance is futile! I have now reserved 1 unit and will be picking it up tomorrow... Japanese economy is in serious need of activity so this is for the good cause :wink:.

May 20, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #651 of 1,514
Tres bien, monsieur!

Can't wait for pics and impressions now that you'll finally be able to run it on your own source.

May 21, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #652 of 1,514
I'm in town for the weekend and dropped by the Dynamic Audio shop in Akihabara for old times sake and tried the 009 there for a bit. Not a serious audition or anything, but it certainly impressed me as sounding pretty darned good. Certainly worthy of a longer term look (i.e., someone's gotta just take one for the team and just buy one) compared with the usual contenders.

arnaud, glad to see you took the plunge. Imagine there's a number of head-fi'ers eager for a Tokyo mini meet.

Best,

-Jason

May 21, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #653 of 1,514

Quote:
I'm in town for the weekend and dropped by the Dynamic Audio shop in Akihabara for old times sake and tried the 009 there for a bit. Not a serious audition or anything, but it certainly impressed me as sounding pretty darned good. Certainly worthy of a longer term look (i.e., someone's gotta just take one for the team and just buy one) compared with the usual contenders.

arnaud, glad to see you took the plunge. Imagine there's a number of head-fi'ers eager for a Tokyo mini meet.

Best,

-Jason

Wow....Jason it has been awhile.  Jump start this hobby again by giving us a review of the SR009!  Hope you are doing well man.

May 21, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #656 of 1,514

Quote:
Tres bien, monsieur!

Can't wait for pics and impressions now that you'll finally be able to run it on your own source.

Will try to take pics and indeed can't wait to hear the system together. It might synergize pretty well as the D/A is on the warm side yet very dynamic!

[size=medium]

Quote:

Best,

-Jason

Glad I could help Jason :wink:.  A meet would be nice indeed. It doesn't happen very often over here, does it? Currawong is also thinking about a meet in the fall coinciding with Fujiya Avic's festival. From what he told me, we might even have the priviledge of hosting such people as Jude and Skylab!! That'd be pretty awesome, I haven't seen Jude in ages!

Quote:
I think staring at pictures of the SR-009 is becoming my new hobby.

Finger, dangerously close to trigger...

Looking obsessively at marketing material puts you on a very very dangerous slope MuppetFace! If that helps you: I think you might start to imagine what it sounds like based on its look or specs which is the best road to disappointment after you put the trigger without hearing!

Quote:
So it seems the 009 is falling in the "more treble is best" bandwagon?

That's a bit of an oversimplification, to say the least... I am myself really really not into over-emphasis of treble to create artificial clarity and detail. The SR-009 is so much more than that. It's quite dangerous to interpret other people's impressions, and particularly when trying to qualify a headphone with a one single attribute... 

[/size]

May 21, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #657 of 1,514

Quote:
Hi Ed, there is probable some to do with the amp and some to do with the comparison. One sounds dark compared to the other, the other one sounds bright and it's all relative. Each one of us sets the line where neutral lies, which is quite subjective unless you happen to go to live concert daily, which I don't... Also, I should maybe pour a little water in my wine glass as, when reading back my own comments, I sometimes feel my words may have been too strong...

Quote:
Well, indeed and resistance is futile! I have now reserved 1 unit and will be picking it up tomorrow... Japanese economy is in serious need of activity so this is for the good cause :wink:.

I guess all will be revealed now.

May 22, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #658 of 1,514
Ohhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyy.... Back home with the SR009 in hand, going through the first HD Tracks / Head-fi collaboration mix. This is just GOOD!!! It really feels like I am standing in front of the drums, the cymbals have a texture like I've never heard, the drum kick is closest to what I hear live, there's absolutely no hint of harshness so far, I did not pick the worst recordings to start though :wink:. Soundstage is deep, layered, precise just like I heard originally at Fujiya Avic, YES!

arnaud

Edit: now at track 11. First time I hear the 20Hz, ughh!

Edit 2: it's an experience in itself to unwrap this thing, amazing attention to details, typically Japanese. This reminds me of Rudistor's packaging ... not ;o). This pictures have very low depth of field toward the end as I was using natural light but sky turned to rain at that time. Hopefully it still gives an idea of the headphone finish...

May 22, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #659 of 1,514
Arnaud,

Nice score man!!!  Congrats.  Would you mind disclosing the street price in Japan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back