New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Apr 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #1,459 of 2,354
No clue but I just ordered that one, heh, I had a right angled micro to female full-size... This will come I'm handy for reading directly off my Clip etc tho, thanks for the link. I guess a right angle to left angle micro/micro would be ideal for you tho (so the cable doesn't stick out of either device). Could try one of the $1 right angle micro to females on Amazon plus a right angled male to micro adapter too.

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #1,460 of 2,354
Thanks, I'll look into those. Seems to me that a market is growing for cables like these and hopefully we'll have more options besides TTVJs $120 piece soon. :xf_eek:

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #1,461 of 2,354
Yeah it's a pain to search for these cables, OTG cables themselves aren't very common but then the specifics are a pain to look for since everyone names them differently (right angle, 90 deg. angle, etc) and terms like 1'/1ft just get lost in a search... That's why I suggested one of the more common OTG cables out there (the right angled micro to full size USB female) and just using an adapter at the end for another angle or male connector.

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #1,462 of 2,354
I found some "up" angled cables here and they accept paypal: http://www.angledcables.com/a-to-micro-b.html

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #1,463 of 2,354
None of those are OTG tho, but I guess at 5 inches they're short enough that you could daisy chain one of those with one of the cheap micro-to-female-A OTG cables on Amazon... It'd be less bulky than having any sort of single adapter at the end.

Startech sells a bunch of similar right/left angle micro to A cables on Amazon, they're probably cheaper unless you're looking for up/down specifically (why tho? wouldn't left/right keep the cables running along the edge of the S3/UHA-6S and thus a slimmer overall profile?)

The Startech ones look almost too thin, but I've been using a short one for a portable battery pack and longer one in my car for a few months now and they're both intact. The connector's about as slim as it gets.

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,464 of 2,354
Quote:
True the LX is intended to be used as a pure DAC and due to this it lacks the volume control. The benefit of this though is it is more transparent than the DACport (it's cleaner and sounds better). Using the UHA6 MKII to attenuate the volume is not an issue and you get the benefit of better sound quality. Of course this is limited to transportable opposed to using it on your phone lol.

I don't think the Leckerton is gonna compare at all to the HifiM8. Especially not with the DAC section. The amp section would stand a better chance for sure. I already know CEntrance has some serious gear and in terms of money to performance they are a great value IMO.

Well honestly I didn't mean that comment to be an insult to Nick. But it is what it is. It's a great feature that does add value to the unit I agree. But it is the Achilles heel of this unit in that you won't use the full potential of this amp with it's included DAC. The amp IMO is amazing. The DAC not so much. Pair it with a really good dedicated DAC and you have some serious sound.

This is  the post - if it's reliable - I've been  waiting for. Thanx.

Would a pairing of  the UHA6 MKII's amplifier with the ODAC sound amazing?
amazing UHA6 MKII's amplifier + amazing ODAC ===> amazing ? synergy ===> amazing ? sound

Here's my little story.
Recently I bought from JDS Labs the ODAC and O2 as two separates 
(to have the line out of the ODAC).
I am using my Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 Ohm; 2005 Edition)
and sometimes Sennheiser HD 595.
I am very happy with my transportable setup: 
modern laptop ---> ODAC ---> O2 --> DT 880

But,  I'd like to be more adventurous and explore more.
Therefore  I'm considering portable (or transportable): UHA-6S MKII, CEntrace LX, DragonFly, iBasso D12, ... the JDS Labs C5, ..
(only under $300 combos and standalone units under $200).
From what I've read the  UHA-6S MKII combo is not the best choice DAC-wise.
By the same token, the Dragonfly combo is not a good choice amp-wise.

Any suggestions or comments?

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #1,465 of 2,354
^ Well, it looks like the DAC is a lot better through S/PDIF than through USB, so if you want to rig something up like Bill-P did that might be an option. (I'm banking on that myself, as I've sold my FiiO E17 and have a this Leckerton one on the way.) I haven't heard either it or the Dragonfly, though, so I can't comment on that.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #1,466 of 2,354
DAC aside...

IMO, the amp section doesn't look like it has enough voltage for DT880 250 Ohm. It can only push about 55mW into 300 Ohm, while the DT880 250 Ohm has a headroom of up to 100mW.

It's generally a good idea to keep a bit of headroom with the amplifier since you never know if you'll run into a quiet source.

I have heard the UHA-6S Mk.II clipping, and... it ain't pretty.

But if you had something else that's easier to drive, the UHA-6S Mk.II is the ideal choice.

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #1,467 of 2,354
Quote:
DAC aside...

IMO, the amp section doesn't look like it has enough voltage for DT880 250 Ohm. It can only push about 55mW into 300 Ohm, while the DT880 250 Ohm has a headroom of up to 100mW.

It's generally a good idea to keep a bit of headroom with the amplifier since you never know if you'll run into a quiet source.

But if you had something else that's easier to drive, the UHA-6S Mk.II is the ideal choice.

Thanx. So, it looks like there's no 'optimal' DAC/Amp combo (under $300) to use with a laptop and the DT 880 (250 Ohm).
Therefore, perhaps I should look into the  DACport LX for $249 (new).
(I don't think that I should even consider  any  $200-demo units. Would You?)
And later,  the C5 or some other headphone amp  under $200. Although, someone mentioned on this site that the C5
might  not be  a good match for the DT 880 (250 Ohm). Something to do with the sensitivity of the DT 800.

I shall see.

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #1,468 of 2,354
Yeah. Some people would disagree, but I personally don't think the Beyer 250 Ohm models and above have enough sensitivity for portable amps/DACs to drive comfortably. You can probably drive them to loud enough, but then they'll clip, and clipping can cause irreversible damage to the drivers of the headphones.

So... avoid C5, UHA-6S, etc... if you're going down that road.

If you need a transportable amp that badly, I think O2 is a decent choice. Though even O2 may not be ideal depending on your source (it clips with sources that output >2.1Vrms).

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #1,469 of 2,354
Quote:
Yeah. Some people would disagree, but I personally don't think the Beyer 250 Ohm models and above have enough sensitivity for portable amps/DACs to drive comfortably. You can probably drive them to loud enough, but then they'll clip, and clipping can cause irreversible damage to the drivers of the headphones.

So... avoid C5, UHA-6S, etc... if you're going down that road.

If you need a transportable amp that badly, I think O2 is a decent choice. Though even O2 may not be ideal depending on your source (it clips with sources that output >2.1Vrms).

Yes, you know it all. I think that the ODAC outputs 2Vrms.

There are many posts  about the ODAC/O2 vs. gain vs. clipping starting here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/616331/o2-amp-odac/990#post_9182544

(O2 AMP + ODAC - Page 67)

Very interesting stuff was posted there which I could not follow because I am neither a DIY'er nor an engineer.

I use only the unity gain with my ODAC and O2.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,470 of 2,354
Quote:
DAC aside...

That's true,

Still, if you don't usually hears at higher volumes, it's acceptable. I have the combination above mentioned, and I feel happy enough for most tracks and even with quiet tracks and tracks with high dynamic range, the leckerton don't get shy.

Even so, there is no denying that the leckerton shines with IEMs and easier to drive headphones, but I personaly don't have any problem with it driving the mad dog nor with the DT880. But this is my personal experience. (also, I haven't heard any clipping).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back