New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Mar 12, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #1,426 of 2,354
FWIW I was using my Leckerton with my HE-500 a lot before I got my Violectric stack and it sounded great.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #1,427 of 2,354
Quote:
This is a good discussion of driving orthos, and so is this one.

The summary:
Dynamic driver impedance fluctuates with frequency.
Orthodynamic driver impedance does not, and there's nothing needing damping.
Amplifier output impedance isn't a big deal when driving orthos, and high current can do wonders for them.

This does not necessarily apply in the same way to other types of drivers: Dynamic, balanced armature, and so on. Each has their own idiosyncrasies, and some are far more likely to benefit from high damping factors.

True, planar magnetics are usually purely resistive loads, but that does not mean they don't benefit from an amp that has an output impedence much lower than their own resistance/impedence, that produces enough current to drive them well, and that can handle their back-emf.  

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,428 of 2,354
Quote:
FWIW I was using my Leckerton with my HE-500 a lot before I got my Violectric stack and it sounded great.

Same. I have tried it both HE-500 and Mad Dogs and they sound great on high gain. I usually use them with both Mad Dog and 1964 V3 (ciem), and they work great with both. This dac/amp is a really great allrounder.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,429 of 2,354
Quote:
That's a really intriguing setup, Bill-P. After your previous post about optical I went out and bought an optical cable to work with my iMac, and while I haven't plugged the USB back in yet for comparison, I think this is the best sound I've heard from my rig. It's definitely fuller bodied than using the line out from my iPhone, but it keeps the vocals and mids where I like them. I find with the USB I get more body in the sound, but sometimes I have to turn up the volume more than I like to get the vocal presence I want. I also feel so far that the optical feed gives more definition to the bass and low percussion.

Your setup suggests that a USB digital converted to optical is better than the USB implementation built into the Leckerton. Interesting, and it looks like a more affordable and portable rig than adding a CLAS to my collection. Why does everything I own have to be made by Apple?

Yeah, I get more definition out of the optical connection as well. Through USB, there seems to be some sort of haze to the sound, and I also lose the ability to upscale in Audirvana when I use the UHA-6S with my MacBook.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #1,430 of 2,354
My friend and I also noticed this. When we use the optical with ibasso dx100 vs USB w/ iPad mini CCK. The optical sounds a bit better.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,431 of 2,354
Haven´t seen this posted here yet: amplifier section RMAA measurements using a low impedance IEM: http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/uha6smkii/iphone4.htm (tests done by some guy from the German hifi-forum.de)

Measures very good straight out of an iPhone using LOD. Looks like a nice product! I´m willing to assume the DAC part is good too :)

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #1,432 of 2,354
I have one question before making the decision to buy a UHA-6S MKII.

Can I use the UHA-6S MKII headphone output as a line out for other amps? I want to connect it to my speaker amp but I'm worried that the sound quality will be degraded from double amping.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #1,433 of 2,354
I don't realy know. The 6S mkii is very clean, and leckerton claims that it can be used as a preamp (like you are trying to do), but I haven't tried it.

I can try if you wan't and see what happens.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #1,434 of 2,354
Quote:
I have one question before making the decision to buy a UHA-6S MKII.

Can I use the UHA-6S MKII headphone output as a line out for other amps? I want to connect it to my speaker amp but I'm worried that the sound quality will be degraded from double amping.

The Leckerton is clean enough that yes, you shouldn't have any problem doing this (although as with other responses, I haven't actually tried it).

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #1,435 of 2,354
should i connect this amp (to the PC) with USB or Optical? or both are the same? 

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,438 of 2,354
"But through optical, it improved so much that I almost thought they built in two different DACs."

thanks Bill-P

and i was using it as usb all the time XD just bought this amp again! going back to IEM/CIEM they are better than the full size cans when it comes to the leakage which i really hate, specially with open drivers..... 

Mar 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #1,439 of 2,354
four days passed since i ordered...they are slower than usual why? the package should been out already ><;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back