New launch - iFi audio iSILENCER3.0
Jan 5, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #32 of 101
 This Isilencer, has some effect used on an external hard drive?

+1. I would like to know the answer, too. 

My immediate interest is to know if there is any noise polluting my hirez music downloads, and IF so, then what ifi products would help reduce that noise. I use a desktop computer and download my music files to a good quality external hard drive (usb fed) powered by a typical 12v 2 amp SMPS. 

Are the digits in music files (downloads) impacted by computer noise? usb noise? 
OR, is this really only an issue with the PLAYBACK of music files?

Every month, I use the same desktop to backup the music files to a SECOND external hard drive. Again, I'm wondering about the same potential noise issues. Basically, I wish to make sure the music I'm downloading is NOT polluted by noise. 
Thank you ifi and anyone here for shedding light on this question. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #33 of 101
  +1. I would like to know the answer, too. 

My immediate interest is to know if there is any noise polluting my hirez music downloads, and IF so, then what ifi products would help reduce that noise. I use a desktop computer and download my music files to a good quality external hard drive (usb fed) powered by a typical 12v 2 amp SMPS. 

Are the digits in music files (downloads) impacted by computer noise? usb noise? 

Every month, I use the same desktop to backup the music files to a SECOND external hard drive. Again, I'm wondering about the same potential noise issues. Basically, I wish to make sure the music I'm downloading is NOT polluted by noise. 

The best possible option is to simply give iSilencer a go. There's a ton of variables and it's very difficult to predict whether the usage of this device in a specific system X or Y will be audible. Therefore we sincerely encourage you to try it and share the experience with us  
etysmile.gif

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 16, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #35 of 101
i can now understand the difference between isilencer and idefender.  isilencer uses a tech to cancel the noise in the power line while idefender replaces the usb power by the cleaner separate power . can anyone tell which is better in improving the sq ? what is the cost of each ? how do these compare with audioquest jitterbug ?

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #36 of 101
Hi, rkt31,
The most beneficial is to use iDefender + iPower 5v + iSilencer together!

If I had to select what to start with would probably be iDefender3.0 with an iPower 5V PSU adaptor. That drops the noisefloor extremely effective. Then add the iSilencer to the chain and if you want to experiment more then iSilencer3.0 to unused USB slots elsewhere on your PC.

The proper setup to use them together is:

PC -> ifi Defender3.0 with iPower5V -> iSilencer3.0 -> usb cable -> USB DAC 

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #37 of 101
Most communication and data transfer protocols used by computers have error detection and/or correction mechanisms to avoid data corruption.  USB uses a Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) which is considered almost 100% effective, and data corruption is extremely rare unless the hardware is defective.  Just think of the impact if computers couldn't reliably store & communicate data without corruption; the world would be falling apart.

It's understandable that the average consumer might not know these facts, but shame on iFi to playing to this ignorance to encourage customers to buy their product for something where there's no basis for it to provide any benefit.  I'm sure their engineers would not make such claims.

Note that USB audio is different, since I don't believe it has error correction, though errors are still exceeding rare (I've seen estimates that in a 44.1K stream running 24 hours a day there will be an error about once a month or so).  But where I think the iSilencer might provide benefit is in removing noise from the power being fed to the DAC, which could impact the analog operation of the device.  But there's no way this device will somehow improve data files written across a USB connection where error detection & correction is being used.

I'm not trying to knock the product; I have a Jitterbug and consider buying an iSilencer.  But there are technical limits on what such products can do.

Quote:
This Isilencer, has some effect used on an external hard drive?

My immediate interest is to know if there is any noise polluting my hirez music downloads, and IF so, then what ifi products would help reduce that noise. I use a desktop computer and download my music files to a good quality external hard drive (usb fed) powered by a typical 12v 2 amp SMPS. 

The best possible option is to simply give iSilencer a go. There's a ton of variables and it's very difficult to predict whether the usage of this device in a specific system X or Y will be audible. Therefore we sincerely encourage you to try it and share the experience with us  
etysmile.gif

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #38 of 101
Here's a useful quote from Gordon Rankin, one of the designers of the Jitterbug:

“The three main USB transmission protocols are Bulk, Interrupt and Isosynchronous. Bulk (used for data transfer to a hard drive) and Interrupt are error correcting. Isosynchronous (used for audio) is not.”

“Bulk and Interrupt are immediately NAK (negative acknowledgement). The receiver is designed to detect a bad packet immediately and the packet is resent.”

"The problem with USB Audio is that Isosynchronous USB frames are not error correcting."

In the full article, Gordon describes how some of the audiophile voodoo can affect USB audio (but not data transfers): http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/05/gordon-rankin-on-why-usb-audio-quality-varies/

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #39 of 101
How do you supply the 5V to iDefender from iPower?
Quote:
  Hi,
I did the entire iSilencer3.0 loom and I got an improvement from first just starting with an putting first an iDefender3.0 with iPower 5V @PC, then inserting iSilencer3.0 after the iDefender3.0.

Complete chain looks like this:

PC -> iDefender3.0 with 5V/2.5A iPower -> iSilencer3.0 -> Supra USB 2.0 cable -> Micro iDSD -> Heimdall 2 -> Hifiman Edition X V2

I also put iSilencer3.0 in empty USB slots around my system. 

I can tell that the perceived noise floor drops so that you question if it has distorsion sometimes in the treble, then you analyze more and you realize that it really is the recording, every time, otherwise just SILENCE! :wink:

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #40 of 101
  i can now understand the difference between isilencer and idefender.  isilencer uses a tech to cancel the noise in the power line while idefender replaces the usb power by the cleaner separate power . can anyone tell which is better in improving the sq ? what is the cost of each ? how do these compare with audioquest jitterbug ?

I would like to know this answer too as I tend to use either one only just to keep my system looking as simple and clean as possible.

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #41 of 101

The jitterbug is USB 2.0 which I would not be using it on my hard drive.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #42 of 101
for music USB 2.0 is enough . that's why almost all audiophile USB cable are USB 2.0. I don't use jitterbug in between by hard disk and PC while transferring the data. ifi Isilencer and jitterbug seems to be having same kind of tech and pricing but still I would like to know the impression they make on sq.

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #43 of 101

The cable to iDefender3.0 is included in the iPower 5V package.

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #44 of 101
Hi, rkt31,
The most beneficial is to use iDefender + iPower 5v + iSilencer together!

If I had to select what to start with would probably be iDefender3.0 with an iPower 5V PSU adaptor. That drops the noisefloor extremely effective. Then add the iSilencer to the chain and if you want to experiment more then iSilencer3.0 to unused USB slots elsewhere on your PC.

The proper setup to use them together is:

[COLOR=3E3E3E]PC -> ifi Defender3.0 with iPower5V -> iSilencer3.0 -> usb cable -> USB DAC [/COLOR]

You miss the ipurifier 2:grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back