New Laptop, Stick with PC or go Mac?
Apr 7, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 56
I vote Mac all the way! I've never looked back

Apr 7, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 56
Check with the college and see what software you may be required to use for your course. Also, what do you have right now? if it's a PC, ask yourself why you want to change, and do you want to go out and buy all that software again?

If you're already using a mac, then stick with it, if the college does not have specific pc requirements.

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check with the college and see what software you may be required to use for your course. Also, what do you have right now? if it's a PC, ask yourself why you want to change, and do you want to go out and buy all that software again?

If you're already using a mac, then stick with it, if the college does not have specific pc requirements.

That is true. If you are going for engineering you should probably go PC as you can't run AutoCAD natively on a Mac. You would have to buy Vista or XP and then run AutoCAD through bootcamp. If you are going for anything that involves video or image editing you probably want to go for the Mac. If you don't need either go for the Mac.

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 56
Mac, you can get good deals if you are a student and their support is better by far than ANY! PC supplier. I have owned HP, Vaio, Thinkpads, Powerbooks and a macbook, the apples were the least problematic, the support on the others was good but not nearly as good as apple.

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 56
PC. I've had some limited experience with Macs, but I never did like them. I don't like the way you're supposed to be part of this 'mac community' and I don't like how propietary Macs are. I've also owned an iPod, and it's completely the same, glad I sold it even though I want my Rockbox back.

Also, check out Linux if you want something else. Sony notebooks are pretty good-looking.

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 56
I've used macs since 1993 and I think that the mac has finally come into its own. The software (good since 10.2) and the hardware (good since G5 and intel) are there. There's never been a better time to switch. The only thing that's missing now is Mac OS for the PC
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 56
You will certainly get replies split along the PC/Mac lines, based on everyone's experience. It depends on what you want to do and what software you already own. I am a Mac convert, and I did that because I process photographs for my hobby and my PC's would die often and hard when running that software. Since switching to Mac everything is smoooooth... Also, in terms of integration with peripherals it's a dream.
I hear PC's are still the way to go for a lot of games for example, so to get more meaningful advice let us know what it will be used for.

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #13 of 56
PC. I also like how you're supposed to be in the Mac community.

With laptops, it's not so much a big deal, but if you were getting a desktop, I would say PC because they tend to be cheaper for what you get, and easier to upgrade and switch components around.

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 56
macbooks can still use windows. I would get a macbook and build a workstation if you need to do more intensive stuff. Apple laptops are great and osx really shines at lower resolutions imo.

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With laptops, it's not so much a big deal, but if you were getting a desktop, I would say PC because they tend to be cheaper for what you get, and easier to upgrade and switch components around.

What he said ^^^^^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
macbooks can still use windows. I would get a macbook and build a workstation if you need to do more intensive stuff. Apple laptops are great and osx really shines at lower resolutions imo.

Yes, macbook can use windows but don't expect to use it for word processing, they still need to add the touchpad option on bootcamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back