NEW Koss Pro4S
Dec 19, 2014 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

audiowatts

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.amazon.com/Koss-Pro4S-Studio-Headphones-Silver/dp/B00MCVOT48/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I just read the initial review here from ODDEEO and I'm eager to hear the follow up.
beerchug.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 23
Yo,

After my long break from this forum, I have returned!

I just got these in from Koss today and initial impressions are incredibly positive. These are Koss' second best headphone available that I have tried (DJ100, DJ200, PRO4AA, PRO4AAT, PRO4AAAT, and MV1). The overall tone of these is warm, detailed, and bassy. The tone is in ways similar to the DJ100, with them being bassy and warm, but these are more detailed and airy. They are more like a DT990 junior, but don't have the dip in the mids and have a smaller soundstage. They honestly stomp the DJ100 into the ground from my testing. 

DETAIL/TRANSPARENCY
Detail and resolution is quite good, much better than the DJ100 and even their older MV1 (which wasn't all that great a headphone, ouch!). Right now I am comparing them side by side with the KRK KNS8400, and they are on par when it comes to detail retrieval and transparency, but have added warmth and much more bass.

TREBLE
Treble is really nice on this headphone, and while I would consider it bright, it is never strident or sibilant. The treble is quite smooth and articulated, something that is noteworthy for this headphone considering the price. Extension is quite good but rolls off at the upper most registers. 

MIDRANGE
The midrange is surprisingly not lacking like the PRO3AAT, but not quite as full bodied as the DJ100. They are noticeably warmer and forgiving than the KRK KNS8400. But don't let that make you think they aren't as detailed, they sure are. I noticed the lower mids blend in nicely with the bass and never seems muddy or out of place. At least they aren't like the Fidelio L1's lower mids where they bleed into the upper mids.

BASS
Oh yeah the bass, it thumps a ton! Not quite DT770 levels, but a ton more controlled with good extension. Still quite pronounced, at least as much bass as the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro on the third adjustment notch. Still very well controlled and never feels bloated, even with bass heavy music like Dubstep and Rap. Quite a feat indeed.

SOUNDSTAGE
My main gripe is their soundstage isn't that big. It's rather small, perhaps smaller than the DJ100 and most certainly smaller than the KRK KNS8400. But it's not terrible or flat, just more narrow. This gives these headphone a more Grado-esque presentation, as they are a more forward headphone with the treble and bass. 

Overall I am incredibly surprised by these. I'd wager that they are better than the KRK KNS8400. These however are not "studio" headphones. They are not neutral as Koss marketed them. They are warm and bassy. But now the question is how do they compare to the ATH-M50? Well I don't have one to compare to but these are easily the best under $200, perhaps more than that. I really, really like them, and I rarely like stuff from Koss.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #6 of 23
I just picked up a pair of the Pro4s' as well and I agree with all of your general subjective comments, as I haven't owned/listened to the headphones you compared them to aside from the DJ100. I have been comparing them with my AKG K702s, which are very different in almost every aspect. I bought them as a "portable" set with more of my concern being weighted on comfort, durability and size.

My biggest thought was that if the pads were larger, they may sound more open and retrieve some of that soundstage. I bought these directly from the Koss factory because I live near Milwaukee, and while I was there I asked the salesperson if the SP540 pads would fit on these headphones because they are almost twice as thick and a very similar ear shape. She said that they wouldn't but I'm not sure I believe her after further inspection of my own, and they are only $5 a piece, so I might grab a pair up for testing.

Overall I have been enjoying these and their differences from the AKGs. It would be nice if the soundstage opens up a bit if they change at all after some use, but they are still very enjoyable to listen to. I listen to mostly metal so that snare/vocal can become quite subdued in the very rich guitar tone.

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 23
These look great. Will probably try a pair when the price (inevitably)  comes down further.

May 13, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 23
Sorry for reviving this old thread.

I've been using my PRO4S for months now and I love them. They are one of three portables that i mainly use (Fidelio L1, DT1350, and PRO4S). Anyone else love them? I want to hear what you all think.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #11 of 23
chailee80:

For reference, I have owned these headphones with low–moderate wear since December 2014. Still love 'em, too!

*These are approximate measurements due to pad break-in, material flexibility, head size, etc.*

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 23
  These look great. Will probably try a pair when the price (inevitably)  comes down further.

£79 Amazon. now might be the time to buy!

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #14 of 23
See if they sell replacements at their site. If so then yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back