New Kid Aboard!!
Mar 7, 2011 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

c2cthomas

New Head-Fier
A humble hello to one and all.
As to who I am and what I’m about – I got back into audio after my retirement from having to work for a living (go ahead – eat your hearts out).
Once upon a time I worked in a hi-fi store (remember those) as a repair technician but left that seeking to make enough money to pay the bills with.  I did get enough experience working with the gear to understand that there isn’t a perfect system – thus my signature line.  I've been in electronics for to long to remember - tubes, xsistors, IC's - been there - done dat.
I have DIY’ed  a pair of L/R mains using ESS AMT1’s and a Pioneer 10 inch mid woofer – long story – that sound fairly good.  Of courssssssse – there are always new designs to think about and play with.  Currently messing around with an OB design using some Mark Audio Alpair 10’s that a friend gave me and I’ll pair those up with something to take up the 20 to 300 low end – probably a 15 inch woofer on an U or H frame configuration.
Also currently looking at DIYing some amps to bi-tri-amp drive the speakers using the PC for EQ and room correction – etc.
I got here by following the never ending trail of breadcrumbs regarding DAC’s and came upon the thread about the E-MU 204’s.
Sooooo –that’s the short story!
Glad ta be here!!!!

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 7
I have a couple of months of being a member, and the guys on this community are nice and very helpful. 
Believe me, once you're here...you'll spend lots of money on headphones and amps. 

Welcome to head-fi! 

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Believe me, once you're here...you'll spend lots of money on headphones and amps. 

Welcome to head-fi! 

Thanks for the warm welcome gentlemen!
I will spend some money - yes.  Being both thrifty and inventive I will be spending much less than most.
wink.gif
I simply enjoy the heck outta squeezing the nickels out of a quarter!!  Being a dedicated DIY'er I am of the school of thought that I can usually conjure up something for about 10 percent of the cost of high end gear.  The exception to that is headphones - but then I haven't tried my hand at those....
rolleyes.gif

Currently looking for the bits and pieces to put together a fanless music server to work with a "nice" DAC and NAS.  Details to follow.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Welcome to Head-Fi! We need more experienced members here. (Noobs are, of course, welcome, too. :))

Glad to hear you're running some ESS AMT-1s! I picked up a pair a few years ago and they were terrific. They've since been "borrowed" by my parents. They needed new speakers, though, and are very pleased with them.

I hope you stick around and I look forward to reading your posts!

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 7
Hello Uncle Erik - and thanks for welcoming me aboard.

The ESS AMT1's (i.e. the "Great Heils") can be a pretty sweet mid-tweeter - IF you can match it up with something decent (and fast) to bring out the bass and lower mids - say below 2KHz.  That starts to get you into cross-overs (or not) bi-amping etc. 
The cross-overs on the ESS units all need a serious upgrade - update with something decent - the rewards are well worth the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back