New Kenwood/Denon in-ears
Nov 3, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaddaGocaraRupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The packaging says aluminium housing, but it's actually really hard to tell. What's a good way to determine this for sure?

If they're aluminium like the C700s, they'll feel very cold to the touch.

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #32 of 46
blink.gif

That is half price compared to mine (which wont turn up until the end of next week
mad.gif
I want to live in Japan too!

You could try the UE dual flange tips. I swear to them.
Keep the impressions coming. I'm still a week away from mine..

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they're aluminium like the C700s, they'll feel very cold to the touch.

well, they're actually pretty hot from 4 hours of constant use
biggrin.gif

But, as others have also confirmed, they are aluminium...dunno where AC got the plastic from
confused.gif

Listening to Arden right now and hearing lots of stuff I never knew was there! Now I wish I hadn't deleted most of their music...

Quote:

Originally Posted by <GNEFF> killbot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif

That is half price compared to mine (which wont turn up until the end of next week
mad.gif
I want to live in Japan too!

Sorry! Well, then move to Japan. You can teach English, it's great fun!

Quote:

You could try the UE dual flange tips. I swear to them.
Keep the impressions coming. I'm still a week away from mine..

great, thanks for the tip, i'll be sure to check'em out.

and yes, i will. I'm supposed to study, which means i'll be posting here lots. procrastinating is a way of life.

let me know if the dual flange ones fit when you get your 551s!

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

First post
280smile.gif

I just bought these today in Japan. There's this big store here called Bic Camera, which has massive branches in all major cities and has a great section, where you can try all headphones/earphones before you buy them. This is a great option for those who want to try out many different things (as long as you don't mind being the 4573rd person to stick those things in your ears..at least they provide tissues
smily_headphones1.gif

My friend and I spent a good 2 hours in there and both came out with a pair of in-ear phones, he with the Audio-Technica ATH-CK7 and I with the Denon AH-C551-K (black). We were both convinced by either headphones but he liked the punchy bass of the ATs more and I liked the fact that the Denons come with a great little hard shell carrying case.

The packaging says aluminium housing, but it's actually really hard to tell. What's a good way to determine this for sure? Anyways, they look and sound very nice, come with an extension cable and 3 sizes of ear pads. The small ones fit my ears well, but are too short, so you end up shoving the actual phones in your ears as well, which is becoming a little uncomfortable now. I'm going to look around for different pads next weekend.

The overall sound could best be described as crisp and balanced. When I listened to the 700s right after listening to these, I noticed that the bass isn't quite as strong on the 551s, but it's more defined and less intrusive. Plus if you fiddle with the EQ you can easily get a a more bass-heavy sound if you need it.

The listed price was ¥9,980 and my mac's converter tool seems to think that that's $86.90. The other great thing about Bic Camera is the Pointcard system, which allows you to get discounts if you're a regular shopper. In my case, that meant ¥2,030 ($17) off and the cute checkout girl actually gave me ¥3,000 ($26) back by mistake and I stayed quiet :blush: so I ended up paying ¥7000, which translates to $61. An awesome price for these puppies!

Bottom line:
If it weren't for the comfort factor, these would be great (I think I might have small ears). I'll get some different pads and see how we go (if I can find some that fit)

I'd love to hear more about the C551 / AT CK7 comparison. I'm surprised the CK7 had more bass, since I think from most reports that the CK7s are not very bass-heavy.

Disregarding the accessories issue, do you think the CK7s sounded better?

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

well, they're actually pretty hot from 4 hours of constant use
biggrin.gif

But, as others have also confirmed, they are aluminium...dunno where AC got the plastic from
confused.gif

Listening to Arden right now and hearing lots of stuff I never knew was there! Now I wish I hadn't deleted most of their music...

Sorry! Well, then move to Japan. You can teach English, it's great fun!

great, thanks for the tip, i'll be sure to check'em out.

and yes, i will. I'm supposed to study, which means i'll be posting here lots. procrastinating is a way of life.

let me know if the dual flange ones fit when you get your 551s!

biflanges fit on the c700 like a baby. can't see why they won't on the 551s

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

First post
280smile.gif

Bottom line:
If it weren't for the comfort factor, these would be great (I think I might have small ears). I'll get some different pads and see how we go (if I can find some that fit)

This is the problem I have. My ears are also small. I had the 700s and had the same issue. The SQ is great. Sadly, I must sell the 551's (see "For sale" forum). These are not for people with small ears.

Dec 15, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #38 of 46
Bought those KH-C711 from AudioCubes, had them delivered here in US, and enjoying right now.

The overall sound signature is IMHO very close to Super-fi 5 Pro that I had. I don't have SF5P anymore though, so cannot compare directly. Kenwood seems to have a bit less prominent bass, but I think it'll develop over time.

I wear C711 with looping over the ear - that way they can get slightly deeper in the ear canal and I can lie my head on the side on the pillow comfortably.

I can see a slight problem with metal housing - it partially goes into the ear and it would be a torture to put these on in cold weather.

For some reason the L and R markers are on the on the sleeves where wire connects to housings and almost invisible. I had to use permanent marker to put L and R where I can see it.

Like SF5P that I owned, these don't have sibilance problems that I experience with Shure E500. KH-C711 are to me more comfortable than SF5P but less than E500. Overall, it's a keeper, E500 goes into the box, and I'll wait for Westone 3 to decide whether E500 is to be sold. In the mean time, KH-C711 will be may main headphones on-the-go (working directly off Cowon D2).

Dec 16, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biflanges fit on the c700 like a baby. can't see why they won't on the 551s

whoaaa kid you got issues if you got a baby to fit on the end of the c700
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #42 of 46
I'm now looking for the Kenwood KH-C711 but I can find them in nowhere.
Want to get a pair, you folk have any idea?

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #45 of 46

Users who are viewing this thread

Back