Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jul 17, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #1,321 of 10,023
The number is actually > 100 (closer to 200 than 100)

:)
I know you've posted photos of your wooden headphones before. It would be amazing to see you try to get your entire collection in a shot. Or several.

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #1,322 of 10,023
Hi all.

Seen at CanJam London 2017
Stand Kennerton and Auris Audio.

After this first testimony, very interesting (about the new prototypes of the Kennerton Odin and others Kennerton headphones)
(by @Greg02)

" I was most impressed by far with the Kennerton equipment, especially the Odin. I'm absolutely addicted and kept coming back to listen some more. I tend to like fairly flat, analytical sound signatures; the Kennerton tuning manages to preserve the accuracy/mids that I like while imparting a little bit of musicality/warmth to it. The Odin sounded great with Shanling's DAC/Amp combo, but paired exceptionally well with the Auris tube amps (which are gorgeous designs, by the way). I talked to the CEO, Valentin, for a while about their upcoming stuff and also got the chance to try out a few demo units. There were two sample variants on the Odin, one which ran a little bit warmer than the current production model and didn't quite have as much snap to it, and another that was colder and absolutely sucked the fun out of it. According to Valentin the FR graph for the cold model is pretty much perfect, which goes to show why actually listening to headphones is important. Apparently next up for the company is a dynamic headphone with 38 drivers in it (I saw a picture of the inside; it looks very sci-fi), and a lighter version of the Odin, which some people find too heavy even though I think the weight distribution makes it still feel comfortable. The lighter version is going to utilize kevlar (so still no plastic!) and come in at a significantly cheaper price. They're also going to start offering parts so that if you're a current Odin owner and want a lighter grill, for instance, you can pick it up online. After talking with them, it's pretty clear that Kennerton has two priorities: get a kick-ass sound, and treat the customers right. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend checking out the company, and can't wait to get an Odin for myself."

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...d-july-15-16-2017.855275/page-3#post-13604211

There is now this second testimony, more personal (by @SabreToothBunny)

"Likewise I was very touched with the response I received when I met Valentine Kazanzhi of Kennerton Audio. I was one of the first people to own the Kennerton Odin in The UK and it's a headphone I very much like despite its initial shortcomings. Since then the team in St Pettersburg not only changed my drivers for the newer version, polished my wood cups but custom made a more suitable headstrap. To briefly describe its presentation it is a balanced sounding headphone but not at all analytical; instrumental accuracy is excellent, bass response palpable while possibly not reaching to the lowest subbass capabilities of some others. Rich full mids and a nice sparkle on top. The soundstage isn't huge, but it's above average however clarity is excellent. It is also a relatively easy headphone to drive as well and does well out of a very good DAP so you're not tethered to a desktop. I love these headphones with classical music where their weighty but clear presentation and instrumental accuracy is presented in an excellent manner.
Touching down with Valentine and explaining I owned a pair of his Odin he warmly shook my hand and humbly thanked me for purchasing his product. He told me about the options which would be available in the future for earcup wood, finishes, customisation but also explained that as an owner (as with all Kennerton owners) if there were upgrades or changes one would wish, they would and could accomodate and arrange if contacted directly. Again, great pride, great passion.
It's a shame the Odin doesn't have as much exposure as it does, it's still a relatively difficult headphone to source but it is one which should be strongly considered in a collection and I do hope Kennerton get the exposure and recognition they deserve."

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...d-july-15-16-2017.855275/page-5#post-13605538

A beautiful tribute to the Kennerton team. :)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #1,324 of 10,023
Which one is the best ?

(from top to bottom)

412842DriverOdinmk1.jpg

Driver of the Odin mk1 (first 50 copies).

757752driverOdinmk2morereliable.jpg

Driver of the Odin mk2 (current series : copies 51 at 200+), more reliable, internal wiring in Litz wire).

502712driverOdinmk3ProtoA.jpg

Driver of the Odin mk3 (prototype A) (built frame in carbon fiber; membrane (Kapton?) with external geometry A).

476275driverOdinmk3ProtoB.jpg

Driver of the Odin mk3 (prototype B) (built frame in carbon fiber; membrane (Kapton?) with external geometry B).

What variation of tone and FR to wait for each of these drivers?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #1,328 of 10,023
Even though the Odin is a planar headphone needing relatively much current, it should to theoretically be quite easy to drive with its low impedance and high sensitivity. Could you guys please share your opinions on this? Would 8Vrms out of an AK380 amp (balanced) be enough to make Odin really shine? Did anybody try the Odin with DAPs?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #1,329 of 10,023
Even though the Odin is a planar headphone needing relatively much current, it should to theoretically be quite easy to drive with its low impedance and high sensitivity. Could you guys please share your opinions on this? Would 8Vrms out of an AK380 amp (balanced) be enough to make Odin really shine? Did anybody try the Odin with DAPs?

Hi.

Before I had my current amplifier (Viva 2A3), I was the owner of an hybrid Rudistor amplifier RP8K-VT outgoing 19 Vpp (6.7 Vrms) out of 35 Ohms (ie 1.3 Watt on the load of 35 Ohms of the Odin).
No problem to drive the Odin effectively.

@earfonia in his great review of the Odin (on Head-fi) (see bottom of page of the link below) offers us some figures concerning the minimum power and the recommended power to effectively drive the Odin.

Quote: " Amplification & Gear Pairing

The loudest volume I ever set to play some soft sounding recordings was around -10 dB on my Geek Pulse XFi unbalanced output, at high gain. My listening volume is generally around -20 dB. The -10 dB unbalanced output was measured 2 Vrms on my oscilloscope, while -20 dB was around 0.64 Vrms. Therefore any player or amplifier that is able to output 2 Vrms at 35 ohms, or approximately 115 mW output at 35 ohms, would be able to drive Odin with sufficient loudness. These days, many modern DAPs have 2 Vrms maximum output or more, with output power ranging to a few hundred mW. Those powerful modern DAPs would be able to drive Odin with sufficient loudness. Adding an additional 6 dB headroom, in the case that louder volume is required, it is translated to -4 dB volume on my Geek Pulse XFi unbalanced output, which is 4 Vrms, which is approximately 460 mW output at 35 ohms. 500 mW output is quite common for desktop amplifiers, and not considered high power output. Therefore we can conclude that Odin doesn’t require high power amplification, and relatively easy to drive. Any source with around 150 mW output at 35 ohms would be sufficient, and around 500 mW (or higher) output at 35 ohms is recommended for Odin.

Odin is easy to drive in the sense that we could get adequate loudness even from a not so powerful DAP. But from my observation, bass will suffer when not properly driven. Bass may sound loose and less textured when not properly driven. When properly driver using good amp, bass is clean and tight with realistic texture.

During the 2 months period with Odin, I’ve tried Odin with some DAPs & DACs such as AK70, Onkyo DP-X1, Cayin i5 (only short period), Chord Mojo, Chord Dave, Geek Pulse XFi, ifi micro iDSD + iCan, Yulong DA8, Questyle CMA800i, Questyle CMA600i, Matrix HPA-3B amplifier, and some other amps. Odin with its musicality can easily sound good and enjoyable with all of them. But it doesn’t that Odin sounds more or less the same with all of them. Odin clearly reveals the source and amp signature quite well, but it has the ability to sound good with most gears. For DAPs like AK70 and Onkyo DP-X1 using the balanced output is highly recommended for extra power and better driveability. The 3 most frequent sources I used during this review is the Geek Pulse XFi, Questyle CMA600i, and Chord Mojo. My personal preference for Odin is the Geek Pulse XFi which gives a tad extra body to the bass for a more engaging musical experience. Questyle CMA600i and ifi micro iDSD + iCan combo are also highly recommended for a faster transient and dynamic. So even though Odin is easy to drive, but it also scales well with some gears that match well with Odin's sound signature.
"

https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/kennerton-odin.21886/reviews#review-17108

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #1,330 of 10,023
Hi.

Before I had my current amplifier (Viva 2A3), I was the owner of an hybrid Rudistor amplifier RP8K-VT outgoing 19 Vpp (6.7 Vrms) out of 35 Ohms (ie 1.3 Watt on the load of 35 Ohms of the Odin).
No problem to drive the Odin effectively.

@earfonia in his great review of the Odin (on Head-fi) (see bottom of page of the link below) offers us some figures concerning the minimum power and the recommended power to effectively drive the Odin.

Quote: " Amplification & Gear Pairing

The loudest volume I ever set to play some soft sounding recordings was around -10 dB on my Geek Pulse XFi unbalanced output, at high gain. My listening volume is generally around -20 dB. The -10 dB unbalanced output was measured 2 Vrms on my oscilloscope, while -20 dB was around 0.64 Vrms. Therefore any player or amplifier that is able to output 2 Vrms at 35 ohms, or approximately 115 mW output at 35 ohms, would be able to drive Odin with sufficient loudness. These days, many modern DAPs have 2 Vrms maximum output or more, with output power ranging to a few hundred mW. Those powerful modern DAPs would be able to drive Odin with sufficient loudness. Adding an additional 6 dB headroom, in the case that louder volume is required, it is translated to -4 dB volume on my Geek Pulse XFi unbalanced output, which is 4 Vrms, which is approximately 460 mW output at 35 ohms. 500 mW output is quite common for desktop amplifiers, and not considered high power output. Therefore we can conclude that Odin doesn’t require high power amplification, and relatively easy to drive. Any source with around 150 mW output at 35 ohms would be sufficient, and around 500 mW (or higher) output at 35 ohms is recommended for Odin.

Odin is easy to drive in the sense that we could get adequate loudness even from a not so powerful DAP. But from my observation, bass will suffer when not properly driven. Bass may sound loose and less textured when not properly driven. When properly driver using good amp, bass is clean and tight with realistic texture.

During the 2 months period with Odin, I’ve tried Odin with some DAPs & DACs such as AK70, Onkyo DP-X1, Cayin i5 (only short period), Chord Mojo, Chord Dave, Geek Pulse XFi, ifi micro iDSD + iCan, Yulong DA8, Questyle CMA800i, Questyle CMA600i, Matrix HPA-3B amplifier, and some other amps. Odin with its musicality can easily sound good and enjoyable with all of them. But it doesn’t that Odin sounds more or less the same with all of them. Odin clearly reveals the source and amp signature quite well, but it has the ability to sound good with most gears. For DAPs like AK70 and Onkyo DP-X1 using the balanced output is highly recommended for extra power and better driveability. The 3 most frequent sources I used during this review is the Geek Pulse XFi, Questyle CMA600i, and Chord Mojo. My personal preference for Odin is the Geek Pulse XFi which gives a tad extra body to the bass for a more engaging musical experience. Questyle CMA600i and ifi micro iDSD + iCan combo are also highly recommended for a faster transient and dynamic. So even though Odin is easy to drive, but it also scales well with some gears that match well with Odin's sound signature.
"

https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/kennerton-odin.21886/reviews

Thank you, Eric65.

I really enjoyed the sound of the Kennerton Odin at the "High End" in Munich. Detailled, not too cold, present highs but without fatigue, relaxed, without any serious shortcomings. So I will probably buy the Odin some time in the future, if I can get one for a decent price. Mk2 is very heavy still, but the weight of Mk3 will be more to my liking.

Jul 27, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #1,332 of 10,023
@eric65 Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but are you associated with Kennerton in any official capacity? Or just passionate about them. Just wondering :)

Hi.
Nothing official.
Just a fan of the brand, well informed.
I live in France. My job is to be doctor (physician). Nothing to do with the world of audio. :)

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #1,333 of 10,023
Continuing love for both the Odin and Vali here! (Nothing new to add, just wanted to give a shout out :))

Still will probably get another Vali, to balance out my two Odin's. I'm glad you all can relate, and know the passion.

Anyone know if Kennerton does a t-shirt?

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #1,334 of 10,023
Hi Arcamera :)

Thank you, Eric65.

I really enjoyed the sound of the Kennerton Odin at the "High End" in Munich. Detailled, not too cold, present highs but without fatigue, relaxed, without any serious shortcomings. So I will probably buy the Odin some time in the future, if I can get one for a decent price. Mk2 is very heavy still, but the weight of Mk3 will be more to my liking.

Thanks.

Last news about the future Odin mk3.

CanJam%20London%202017%20Kennerton%20Zeus.jpg

A new name ? " Kennerton Zeus "

Announced better, lighter, but also more expensive (€ 3,000) than the current Odin mk2, the same price as the HE-1000 V2!

Quote :
"
Who: Valentine Kazanzhi, CEO, Kennerton

What: Kennerton Zeus planar magnetic headphones

When available? November

How much: €3,000

Description: Initially planned as an upgrade on Kennerton’s Odin flagship design, the new Zeus now stands above the popular heavyweight Russian headphone. The key changes to the design (which looks to the outside almost identical to the Odin) are a lighter diaphragm with a new membrane, and replacing some of the aluminium bracing components with Kevlar. This makes for a similar sound to the Odin, but with claims to higher resolution and better bass, and a noticeably lighter headphone on the head. "

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/canjam-london-2017-show-part-three/?page=2

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #1,335 of 10,023
Continuing love for both the Odin and Vali here! (Nothing new to add, just wanted to give a shout out :))

Still will probably get another Vali, to balance out my two Odin's. I'm glad you all can relate, and know the passion.

Anyone know if Kennerton does a t-shirt?

Hi,

Like the English, the French (and Quebeckers ??) are sometimes curious people, original, and can be passionate about objects or rare and unusual brands.

My brother-in-law, an attorney in Paris, knowing my taste for the Kennerton brand, offered me this very nice French slip (boxer) customizable at the time of the order.
I did not choose the color, but I appreciate the customized brand, as well as its wearing comfort! :beyersmile:

551151DSC0661b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back