New JVC Victor Woodies HA-WM90
Sep 3, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #46 of 65
Hi Goldwerger! How does the Victor compare to your L5000 and L3000?

I don't know yet, I'm waiting to receive the Victor which I purcahse in an auction. but I need to prepare replacement pads for them (unless I can fix them on my own).
Happy to update after receipt..

Unrelated - the L5000, with pads replaced to ZMF universe lambskin solid pads, is one of the past headphones I've heard (open or closed back). it's asnonishingly good.

Sep 3, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #47 of 65
I don't know yet, I'm waiting to receive the Victor which I purcahse in an auction. but I need to prepare replacement pads for them (unless I can fix them on my own).

Unrelated - the L5000, with pads replaced to ZMF universe lambskin solid pads, is one of the past headphones I've heard (open or closed back). it's asnonishingly good.
Looking forward to hearing your comparison! I’m still looking to get the Victor just haven’t found the right price yet.

Sep 12, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #48 of 65

Hi Goldwerger!
Did you receive your Victor yet? I’m curious how you like them! Thanks!!

Sep 12, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #49 of 65
Hi Goldwerger!
Did you receive your Victor yet? I’m curious how you like them! Thanks!!
unfortuantely the seller backed up after payment, but I did get a refund...🤷‍♀️

Sep 12, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #50 of 65
Oh no! The cheapest I’ve seen them on eBay is around $2800 for a used pair and $4000 for a new pair. They don’t seem to sell because they’ve been up for sale for over a year! (Kind of weird they never lower the price to get them sold) I’m a little worried to pull the trigger with such few reviews!

Sep 12, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #51 of 65
Oh no! The cheapest I’ve seen them on eBay is around $2800 for a used pair and $4000 for a new pair. They don’t seem to sell because they’ve been up for sale for over a year! (Kind of weird they never lower the price to get them sold) I’m a little worried to pull the trigger with such few reviews!
it's a risk for sure

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #52 of 65
Got my set late last night, just in time for early morning flight to SoCal. Super easy to drive off DAP (SP2000), lightweight and comfy, with a 4’ 3.5mm-terminated stock cable, these were clearly intended for mobile use..

On flight. Passive noise isolation is pretty good. Very first impression is brassy and warm sound signature. Looking forward to getting to know them on the long flight..😊

IMG_7504.jpeg

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #53 of 65
Got my set late last night, just in time for early morning flight to SoCal. Super easy to drive off DAP (SP2000), lightweight and comfy, with a 4’ 3.5mm-terminated stock cable, these were clearly intended for mobile use..

On flight. Passive noise isolation is pretty good. Very first impression is brassy and warm sound signature. Looking forward to getting to know them on the long flight..😊

Congrats!!
How do they compare to Atrium closed? Are they dark sounding like Atrium closed or brighter? I’m looking for something brighter but with deep powerful sub bass like D8000.

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #54 of 65
Congrats!!
How do they compare to Atrium closed? Are they dark sounding like Atrium closed or brighter? I’m looking for something brighter but with deep powerful sub bass like D8000.

Thanks! :)

Will only be able to compare them when I’m back home from CanJam next week, but they are totally different presentation

btw, the AC are not dark at all. They are bass heavy, but very clear and extended in upper frequencies As well.

Sep 30, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #55 of 65
To my ears the atrium closed are dark but I like it. But maybe I’m using the wrong term to describe what I hear. Another headphone I found very dark was the Spirit Torino Radiante. What would be a better word to describe the sound? Dense? Warm? Looking for a brighter one also (but with deep bass) to complement the Atrium closed. By the way, I’m also really looking forward to the caldera closed which I will get!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #56 of 65
Sep 30, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #57 of 65
“Dark” usually means that treble frequencies are attenuated or missing. The opposite “Bright” means that headphone is heavy/emphasized.

“Warm” often means more base, but sometimes also used to mean other things like more weighty or thicker notes.

Terms aside, this is my take of the AC:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zmfheadphones-atrium-closed.26353/reviews#review-30248
Yes I had the AC. Actually I bought it thanks to your review, and all the others praising it. So I should probably call it very warm then and not dark because like you said there’s nothing wrong with the treble! I sold it because I started saving up to get the caldera closed as soon as it comes out. I think that will be a perfect closed back for me!

Sep 30, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #58 of 65
Yes I had the AC. Actually I bought it thanks to your review, and all the others praising it. So I should probably call it very warm then and not dark because like you said there’s nothing wrong with the treble! I sold it because I started saving up to get the caldera closed as soon as it comes out. I think that will be a perfect closed back for me!
Ah.. got it!!

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #59 of 65
Ah.. got it!!
How would you describe the D8000 sound which I love? Not very warm, but deep powerful bass? That’s the sound I’m looking for in a closed back right now. Something that reminds me of D8000. I wonder if the Victor would be it? If not I’m sure caldera closed will be because I thought the caldera open sounded close to the D8000

Sep 30, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #60 of 65
Thanks! :)

Will only be able to compare them when I’m back home from CanJam next week, but they are totally different presentation

btw, the AC are not dark at all. They are bass heavy, but very clear and extended in upper frequencies As well.
Did you let some people try your Victor at CanJam? What did they think? I wish I was there! Didn’t make it this year but I did get to go to London instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back