New Jecklin Float QA !!!
Nov 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #331 of 740
Great review, particularly regarding in the centre localization issue. About the details regarding your problems with Float, please see my other posts of today.

I hope you and everyone else get your new Floats in working order, the rest will come naturally.

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #332 of 740
Dear Muppetface,   Excellent Review.   Looking forward to hear from you more and more.
     Please compare with takeT H2+,  your one and only Final Audio Muramasa VIII outside Japan,
several hiend headphones in your collection
     Also hope that your new Jecklin Float get well soon
     As Muppetface will have " new favourite"  I have to take Alison Krauss "New Favourite" SACD
to listen.  It sounds amazing with vocal but I don't feel that it is inside the skull but very very close to me
(intimacy)

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #333 of 740
I have tried the speaker out to drive the AKG K1000 today . 
Previously I tried the HE6 and Sennheiser HD800.
There was no noise with HE6 , very few noise heard during the quiet part with the AKG K1000 but did
not inferfere with the listening.  Significant noise was heard using the Sennheiser HD800 , Impedance
mismatch?
The soundstage and airiness is the same between AKG K1000 and new Jecklin Float.
However it seems to me that the details and dynamic range are better
with the new Jecklin Float QA. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #334 of 740
Quote:
I have tried the speaker out to drive the AKG K1000 today . 
Previously I tried the HE6 and Sennheiser HD800.
There was no noise with HE6 , very few noise heard during the quiet part with the AKG K1000 but did
not inferfere with the listening.  Significant noise was heard using the Sennheiser HD800 , Impedance
mismatch?
The soundstage and airiness is the same between AKG K1000 and new Jecklin Float.
However it seems to me that the details and dynamic range are better
with the new Jecklin Float QA. 

Nice to hear that. Means QA did a good job at improving on original Floats.

Do you have any binaural recordings to try on both JF QA and K1K ?

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #335 of 740
For the last three days, the problems seemed to subside, and I got my hopes up that perhaps they have resolved themselves somehow. However this morning they did indeed return with a vengeance. I noticed some minor cutting in and out of the right channel, followed by some distortion (a raspy, overdriven sort of sound). When I disconnected the headphones, discharged them (touching the pins with my finger--- hard to do on these given the narrowness of the plug), and reconnected them to the transformer, the sound in the right channel was extremely faint, almost altogether absent. Just like on Tuesday, when I shift the channel balance to the right side and turn the volume up, it pops back to life and sounds even more distorted.

So I'll be sending these back for a replacement.

Three things worry me.

First, I'm hoping it doesn't take another five months to get a new set. This is the amount of time I waited for my first set. Now that production is up and running, I'm hoping they can have a quicker turn around time than the initial batch of orders. Also this time of year tends to see mail slowing to a crawl.

Second, I'm wondering what happened with Sam's pair when he said it sounded lifeless compared to the previous one. Just how consistent is one set to another? I really, really like the way these headphones sound. I don't want a new set to sound any different than these when they're working properly. I'll be worried that this could end up happening.

Third, given that the issue seems to be a design flaw inherent to the Floats, I'm worried that after getting a replacement, the same problem is going to reoccur. I'm not particularly comfortable knowing I've got a "ticking timebomb" with these.

These have become new favorites of mine in the short span of time I've had them, I really hope these problems can be resolved in a timely and satisfactory manner.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #336 of 740
Quote:
For the last three days, the problems seemed to subside, and I got my hopes up that perhaps they have resolved themselves somehow. However this morning they did indeed return with a vengeance. I noticed some minor cutting in and out of the right channel, followed by some distortion (a raspy, overdriven sort of sound). When I disconnected the headphones, discharged them (touching the pins with my finger--- hard to do on these given the narrowness of the plug), and reconnected them to the transformer, the sound in the right channel was extremely faint, almost altogether absent. Just like on Tuesday, when I shift the channel balance to the right side and turn the volume up, it pops back to life and sounds even more distorted.

So I'll be sending these back for a replacement.

Three things worry me.

First, I'm hoping it doesn't take another five months to get a new set. This is the amount of time I waited for my first set. Now that production is up and running, I'm hoping they can have a quicker turn around time than the initial batch of orders. Also this time of year tends to see mail slowing to a crawl.

Second, I'm wondering what happened with Sam's pair when he said it sounded lifeless compared to the previous one. Just how consistent is one set to another? I really, really like the way these headphones sound. I don't want a new set to sound any different than these when they're working properly. I'll be worried that this could end up happening.

Third, given that the issue seems to be a design flaw inherent to the Floats, I'm worried that after getting a replacement, the same problem is going to reoccur. I'm not particularly comfortable knowing I've got a "ticking timebomb" with these.

These have become new favorites of mine in the short span of time I've had them, I really hope these problems can be resolved in a timely and satisfactory manner.

Wish you to get the correctly functioning Floats ASAP and echo your hope these problems can be resolved in a timely and satisfactory manner. Once tasted something at this level, it is hard going back to anything less.

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #339 of 740
I have sent an e-mail to Manfred asking if he knows about the problems people seem to be having with the right channel specifically on the Float QA, and if he has a fix in mind. I would like some kind of reassurance that they're working to fix this problem, and that any replacement set does not develop the same issues. If it is an inherent design flaw, then no one is entirely out of the woods until the problem is actually addressed.

These headphones are worth getting right in my opinion. I haven't been able to stop listening to them, even with their problems causing much frustration. I will continue to remain positive and work with QUAD Musik to get a fully functional pair.

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #340 of 740
Quote:

Quote:

I was not aware of this Can recording. 

Binaural mainly "speaks"  German - Kunstkopf ( Dummy Head ). Deutsche Gramophon in association with Sennheiser  back in the day did a couple of binaural recordings to demonstrate the Unipolar 2000 and later Unipolar 2002 electret headphones. I have the complete list of those ( very few ) somewhere, but as far as Gustavo Mahlerotti ( an "easier sounding" name I use to encourage people to try to listen something more complex than belcanto ) in binaural is concerned, you need not to look further than this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA1fFDYmvk8 ( even over YT displaying analog is still king )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C6TN6vP5h0

Giulini/CSO recording won so many awards you can actually decipher the pressing(s) by looking at the 2LP cover - the first one is "clean", no award "stickers" on it,
( the most desirable one, of course ), the last one issued you can hardly tell what the picture should look like ! No idea if it was reissued in SACD.

I will post more sources for binaural - but they are quite pricey.

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #341 of 740
Quote:
I have sent an e-mail to Manfred asking if he knows about the problems people seem to be having with the right channel specifically on the Float QA, and if he has a fix in mind. I would like some kind of reassurance that they're working to fix this problem, and that any replacement set does not develop the same issues. If it is an inherent design flaw, then no one is entirely out of the woods until the problem is actually addressed.

These headphones are worth getting right in my opinion. I haven't been able to stop listening to them, even with their problems causing much frustration. I will continue to remain positive and work with QUAD Musik to get a fully functional pair.

This is quite depressing news. 
frown.gif

No quick fix either. 
ZoomButt.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #342 of 740
Personally I still do like the Mahler series recorded by Solti as it still is the most consistent and well recorded, but I also love the recordings of Sir Simon Rattle both with the CBSO and Berlin Philharmonic.
You MUST watch this recording on YouTube of Rattle with the CBSO.  It ranks with me as one of THE gratest.  It was recorded by Classica Japan which I think may be a Japanese music tv channel.  Unfortunately the uploader has a small section where sound is gone and a few bars missing to the end of the wok but it still does not detract from the enthralling experience!!  I have tried to see if there is s DVD of this concert but so far no luck so I plan to try and contact Classica to see if anything is available if they can understand english or translated Japanese 
rolleyes.gif

However; I do agree that some conductors do have an affinity with particular symphonies as other great interpretations IMHO worth listening to besides the Solti I feel are
-   Leonard Bernstein's third recording (DG 423 395-2) a performance recorded "live" in New York in the 1980's
His interpretations I find are very personal and gradually changed over the years he recorded Mahler.  They can bring out extreme views love them or hate them.  Personally I think Bernstein offers a very forceful and thought provoking interpretation

images

-   Great Conductors of the 20th century Sir John Barbiroll Label: EMI Classics ASIN: B00005UUP0
518wNowTYJL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

-  Klemperer "live" in Munich on EMI 
(
CDM 566867-2
ir
)

-  Simon Rattle City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra EMI Great Recordings of the Century 
345 7942
ir

51oNBUj2j4L._SL500_.jpg

The "New Kids on the block" that are being hailed by the cognesenti are performances by Russain born Vladimir Jurowski with the London Philharmonic ASIN: B004UVCONQ and Gustavo Dudamel Sinfónica Simón Bolívar

Here is a review from The Gramaphone http://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/mahler-symphony-no-2-%E2%80%98resurrection%E2%80%99-0

Mahler - Symphony No 2, ‘Resurrection’

Adriana Kucerová (sop) Christianne Stotijn (mez) London Philharmonic Choir and Orchestra / Vladimir Jurowski

LPO LPO0054 Buy now

(83’ • DDD • T/t). Recorded live at the Royal Festival Hall, London, September 25-26, 2009  
Finally a Resurrection to prompt superlatives
A performance of revelations, big and small, and easily the most illuminating to have appeared on disc in a very long time. Jurowski wipes the floor with the recent Rattle and Jansons accounts and is probably now the prime recommendation, the “library” choice, that has for so long eluded us. And I include the excellent Iván Fischer account on Channel Classics in that assesment. I was present at this live performance, what was a momentous evening at the Royal Festival Hall in September 2009 but wondered how it might translate to disc in the cool light 
of day. So often musical occasions writ 
large in one’s memory achieve optimum impact only in the moment of performance and pale on reproduction and repetition. Not so, this Resurrection.
The really big factor here is Jurowski’s command of Mahler’s very particular and very dramatic way with rubato and the shock of newness that comes from those explicit extremes. The urgency of the opening Allegro maestoso (the emphasis, unlike Rattle, on the allegro) is strikingly underlined with the premature arrival of the lyric second subject where Jurowski’s emphasis on the agitated bass-line has an edge-of-seat disquiet. When the music does settle – the balmy second subject now shyly reappearing – the effect is doubly magical. Weight in Jurowski’s reading does not necessarily mean sheer heft but rather the breadth of those big expansive ritenutos and tenutos. Rarely have I heard the wild neurotic contrasts in this music more scrupulously and uncompromisingly realised: emphatic marcatos, wild accelerandos so sudden and unexpected that you reach for the score 
for confirmation and then wonder why 
so many conductors downplay or 
simply ignore them.
So many moments in this first movement sound renewed: the grisly tread of string basses marking the approach to the climax of the development; the electrifying col legno passage, like the beating wings of the angel of death, so deliberate as to accentuate the sudden rush to the precipice (note: no ritardando) and the terrifying reiteration of that ugly stack of notes marking the point of no return. Then that beautiful passage in portamento-festooned strings demonstrating just how far the LPO have come under Jurowski’s directorship.
A strange distracted elegance marks the second movement, with the restless string ostinato and especially the entry of the string basses serving to remind us that this is no mere diversion but rather an ironic variant, the flip-side, if you like, of the first movement. The pizzicato return has a sinister charm, a deliberation, which suggests a different kind of march – the elfin variety. And that ironic rusticity proceeds in the vividly projected third movement with its quirky country dance in fiddle and flute, and delicious Trio in 
close-harmony trumpets. The climaxes again romp forwards with precipitous abandon while the soft, still, maternal 
voice of Christianne Stotijn seems to emerge supernaturally from the final 
tam-tam stroke.
The finale is tremendous and highly theatrical, with spatial effects beautifully managed in a hall not noted for its accommodation of acoustical special effects. The anticipation of the silence before the brass chorale deliver the Dies irae is 
heart-stopping, as is the hair-raising climax 
setting the offstage band on a collision course with the orchestra. You might quibble that the soprano soloist, Adriana Kucerová, is set too close for that magical separation from the chorus but the whole final paragraph is thrilling, with Mahler’s returning Resurrection hymn phrased 
with urgency and uplift. You may think 
you know how Mahler’s Second Symphony goes. Think again. 

Edward Seckerson

You should also consider Gergiev for me much in the mould of Bernstein's interpretations

Quote:
I also found two SACD's of Bernstein and Klemperer.  I think they should be excellent too.

or is this version of Bernstein better?

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #343 of 740
Well many new products have a few teething problems.  Stax have had more than their faie share over the years.
One consolation is that QUAD Musik are very experienced in making and refurbishing electrostatics so I doubt it would likely be the divers themselves.  They service and rebuild the old Jecklin Float drivers very well.  More likely as be has already stated an intermitent contact, which is surprising given the usual quality of German engineering.  Personally i'm confident it will get sorted very soon, just a pain the inconvenience it causes customers.
The Japanese are legendary for their quality control but even they can get it wrong given the number of recalls Toyota have had in recent times

Quote:
This is quite depressing news. 
frown.gif

No quick fix either. 
ZoomButt.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #344 of 740
Quote:
Well many new products have a few teething problems.  Stax have had more than their faie share over the years.
One consolation is that QUAD Musik are very experienced in making and refurbishing electrostatics so I doubt it would likely be the divers themselves.  They service and rebuild the old Jecklin Float drivers very well.  More likely as be has already stated an intermitent contact, which is surprising given the usual quality of German engineering.  Personally i'm confident it will get sorted very soon, just a pain the inconvenience it causes customers.
The Japanese are legendary for their quality control but even they can get it wrong given the number of recalls Toyota have had in recent times

If QA did an exact reproduction of the original driver, or at least the contact arrangement, it is not teething problem at all,  but an inherent one of the original design.
It could and should have been changed ages ago.

If Apolo had a single contact like that, it would have never lifted off ground, let alone orbit the moon and return back home. I can post a photo of the AGI 511 preamp that was rumored to fly aboard Apolo, doing ????, that, although released as an audio component circa 1975, still dwarfs any other audio device ever produced as regards to execution, longeivity, serviceability and proven track record of near zero failures in field. No semiconductor is soldered, you can pull each and every IC and trasistor out and insert it back  by hand, and ( besides abysmal RCA connectors ) , not even a hiccup since they  were new.( personal experience with my units  as well a couple of friends' and acquaintance's ) Compared to that one, any Hewlett Packard or Tektronix measuring device looks like an afterthought ..., let alone audio equipment.

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #345 of 740
@ Complin : thanks for the recommendations on Mahler 2nd Hope that the situation concerning the QA of the new Jecklin Float will be easily solved

@Analogsurviver : thanks for the recommendation for the Giulini 's Mahler 9th I don't know that this recording is binaural, or else I would have one. But it is very pricey. I only have Mahler 9th by Zinman, Chailly (both are SACD's), Rattle, Barbirolli, Gielen and Bertini, Bernstein (LP). It seems that I prefer Rattle's 9th, I may add Giulini 's later.

I read a thread by LFF and Jude concerning Binaural recordings. I have ordered limited number of  CD's because they were quite expensive and am looking forward for those records.
Strauss : Also Sprach Zarathustra and Saint SaensSymphony 3 by Mester
Stravinsky : The Rite of Spring  , Rachmaninoff : Symphonic dances , again by Mester
I can report more when I have those.  (Also the Binaural recording by Can)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back