New Jecklin Float QA !!!
Oct 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #226 of 740
Quote:
One thing that has been criticised of the previous Floats were the transformers.

I cant say anything to the old ones but Quad-music and Mr. Jecklin said that the new transformer is also a big step for the old Jecklins.

Sorry but i have to read your post later to answer the rest because i have to understand what you mean. My english is probably not good enough to write in an english Forum.

@tintin40 and muppedface

It is ok for me that you dont like my thread but please dont comment this everytime!
It is very hard for me to write in english and it is much work.
Please accept these and dont post always comments that helps no one. 
Thank you very much.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #227 of 740
Quote:
Perhaps those of you who live US side of the pond can lend Tyll a pair so he can do some measuring 
biggrin.gif
.  I'm sure this could prove quite a challenge due to the lack of ear pads and sealing to the head.  

Going with Arnaud on this one, it should be pretty straight forward.  I'd love to measure them. Who should I contact there? If there's anyone in touch with them tell them I'd be glad to have a set for measurement and possible review.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #229 of 740
Quote:
@tintin40 and muppedface

It is ok for me that you dont like my thread but please dont comment this everytime!
It is very hard for me to write in english and it is much work.
Please accept these and dont post always comments that helps no one. 
Thank you very much.

Funny, if you look at my posts, you'll see that several people have given them thumbs up (on the bottom right hand corner) which means that some people find my posts helpful. The next-to-last was an explanation of why this thread has damaged the reputation of this product. You asked me for an explanation, and I gave it. Believe it or not, it was actually a bit of work to type out my thoughts as well even though I speak English natively. I put quite a bit of effort into my post.

The post after that was actually valid as well in my view despite being an attempt at humor: it was meant to say that a lot of people have claimed this or that product over the years sounds like "real life." It's something that gets said a lot. Often without any sort of qualification. People can (and do) say anything. And while we're talking about posts that aren't very helpful, I find it rather unfortunate that any request from someone to describe these headphones in detail beyond "they sound like real life" and other empty signifiers is met with outright dismissal.

I'm sorry if you don't find my posts helpful. I think they're helpful however, and apparently others (aside from you and michaelxray no doubt) do too. Might I suggest ignoring them instead of telling me not to post? It's not doing your credibility any favors.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #235 of 740
Yes I too have heard this often too.  For me there are several problems with such claims

- Many people these days either have little of no experience of live music or play an instrument.  So how would they know necessarily how a particular instrument should sound.  How often do you get to go to a symphony, rock or Jazz concert?

- Being able to say its exactly the same would mean comparing the live performance, by switching between it and the same performance over the headphones, much like you would do in a recording session

- Trying to memorize music is in my view an impossibility as our mind plays tricks on us.  The best we can say is its gives us the impression of being lifelike at best

Quot
The post after that was actually valid as well in my view despite being an attempt at humor: it was meant to say that a lot of people have claimed this or that product over the years sounds like "real life." It's something that gets said a lot. Often without any sort of qualification. People can (and do) say anything. And while we're talking about posts that aren't very helpful, I find it rather unfortunate that any request from someone to describe these headphones in detail beyond "they sound like real life" and other empty signifiers is met with outright dismissal.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #236 of 740
Definitely looking forward to Tyll's review, that would guarantee unbiased evaluation and some objective data besides the cosmic enlightment.

I imagine it is scary for a manufacturer for all the same reasons though :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #240 of 740
Well, I do get to hear music live often enough to remember the sound in broad terms - while recording it, if not otherwise. The super exact memory of any specific violin, piano etc is rather short lived - general impression regarding say strings, woodwind, brass, kitchen department (percussion) etc -  is not.

Floats are different beast than normal headphones; they are the original ear speaker in the true sense of the word.  Although I do not doubt they can be measured, I doubt they can be measured with sufficient statistical accuracy or averaging of the (numerous) result(s).  What is simply not understood well enough is the fact there are no pads to alter our natural hearing as with almost any other headphone ( most notable exception is AKG K 1000 ) .
So far, I have not seen a measurement that would produce a graph to show just how much do pads of a certain phones under test alter our hearing - that graph would be the most relevant to the perceived SQ if the transducer itself  is assumed to be "perfect".

It is sad to see Michael from Germany doing such disfavor to a valid transducer with fervent claims of it being #1 Uber Alles, hype, etc, etc. No, I have not heard the new Jecklin QA - but they would trully have to mess things up pretty badly to take away the prime charm and allure of the Float - that is to say the reproduction of the acoustics music was recorded in. I have not have yet had the privilege to hear Stax 009 - yet I can say it can never be a match for Float regarding soundstage. And vice versa - Jecklin would never be able to match the bass from any Stax. They are different designs, totally different concept, only thing in common is electrostatic principle of operation. They can not be directly compared -  certain type of music and recording techniques will favor one or another on sample to sample basis.

For the most important part of the frequency band we hear, the midrange, Float with its lack of earpads does have advantage over any padded headphone. It is not as sucessful at  acoustically dissapearing as AKG K 1000 - one can hear Float when worn on head with no musical signal propadated through it - the enviroment does get changed from that of zero on your head. The difference between the old Precide produced Float and new QA version in this regard should be minimal, if any. Both will be worse than K 1000 and better than anything else.

Make or break in electrostatics is not the transducer itself ( it is very near perfection, at least in the midrange ) but "electrics". Precide produced transformers left much to be desired, to remain polite about it. Bass was particularly poor, the louder and lower the signal , the worse performance from transformer, compounding the already compromised bass performance of the transducer even further. Properly driven Float is no bass champ, but can hold its own well enough. Hope QA version of transformer  is significantly better than what went on before. If I understand it correctly, they drive it with Quad 405, an amplifier that has, despite being around for ages, yet to gain full recognition by public at large. It has been designed to drive electrostatic speakers and  smaller "ear Quads" are electrically very similar load. 405 is quite special if upgraded properly. Taken together, It can be a good start for QA.

Once you try Float for at least a weekend time, it should be clear comparing it to Stax or anything else is apples and oranges - only way to determine what suits you best is to listen by yourself.  It is unique sound, not achievable by anything requiring pads. How much has QA improved upon  Precide produced original remains to be seen/heard.

And yes, more often you do get to hear the sound live, more chances there are to embrace Float in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back