New iRiver 4GB/8GB E30 is out today. Improved Sigmatel DSP chip
Dec 15, 2009 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mangamonster

100+ Head-Fier
Looks like it just started selling at major US online retailers today (ordered one from amazon this morning for $70). I'm pretty excited about this new unit. Plays FLAC. 52 HR battery life!

I read a short review on it and the audio performance was praised, partly due to its new Sigmatel DSP chip.

I should be getting it tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Does anyone have any info on the Sigmatel DSP chip?

E30
iriver-e301.jpg

PConline reivew:iriver E30 shows up in wild: audio quality praised - SlashGear

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mangamonster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately it doesn't. FLAC files will eat up 8gb fairly quickly. Hopefully, the claimed SQ improvement will make up for it
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll try to compare the SQ to my Amp3 Pro2 DAP.

Great idea. But I don't confident on Iriver, for I have read some comments that AMP3 pro2 is better then Iriver H 140+ D10 amp combo. You see, H 140 is the top model of Iriver family.

Any way, could't wait to read your comparing.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 21
I really hope it is as good as they say. I want to put my hands on it to see if it's similar in SQ to my clix2 and than decide which one to let go. 52h of battery time plus flac- might be better than clix and it costs almost the same...

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 21
Some chinese sources say the E50 has Sigmatel 3710 and the E30 uses the 3770. However consider this as unconfirmed (unconfirmable?), as other sources say they both use the 3770.

But that alone really doesn't say anything, because everyone's been using those chips for a while now, from the el cheapo Chinese players to some major corps.

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by newfier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great idea. But I don't confident on Iriver, for I have read some comments that AMP3 pro2 is better then Iriver H 140+ D10 amp combo. You see, H 140 is the top model of Iriver family.

Any way, could't wait to read your comparing.

As far as AMP3 pro2, I'm not seeing that it plays FLAC. Is that correct. I would think that a problem.

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by newfier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You see, H 140 is the top model of Iriver family.

It's their flagship from over 5 years ago, and I know it is still probably their best player I don't think it's a fair comparison between it and the AMP3.

IMO iriver went in the wrong direction, let's hope the E30 is a step back towards the glory days.
regular_smile .gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO iriver went in the wrong direction, let's hope the E30 is a step back towards the glory days.
regular_smile .gif

Same sentiment here. It has been nothing but disappointment from iriver for the last 2 years
frown.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same sentiment here. It has been nothing but disappointment from iriver for the last 2 years
frown.gif

I was happy with my Clix 1 and 2, however, the fact that iriver kept innovating and then ditching what worked for them is just sad. I mean, could you imagine a 4" AMOLED screened Rockbox-able DAP with 80gb-160gb capacity and improved SQ and features following on from the H-Series players.

I'd be much happier even if they followed through with the Unit2 *drool*.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 21
All of my early DAP were iRivers but I too have grown disenchanted. I love the Clix2 but iRiver hasn't updated the firmware in over two years. They were tough players and I didn't get a bad one in the bunch.

I'm interested in hearing MangaMonster's thoughts but would be hesitant to jump back into the iRiver.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's their flagship from over 5 years ago, and I know it is still probably their best player I don't think it's a fair comparison between it and the AMP3.

regular_smile .gif

I recalled some report said that Iriver was focus on the game player field from 2 years ago. It seems they have no famous game player released, Maybe they return to mp3 field again?

Unfortunately, things changed, Iriver is lagged behind SONY and Hisoundaudio in term of technology. any single audio chip can't retrieval their preivious king status. except they have some technology breakethrough. Such as Sony's S amp and Hisoundaudio's Class A amp buit in.

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Booda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recalled some report said that Iriver was focus on the game player field from 2 years ago. It seems they have no famous game player released, Maybe they return to mp3 field again?

Unfortunately, things changed, Iriver is lagged behind SONY and Hisoundaudio in term of technology. any single audio chip can't retrieval their preivious king status. except they have some technology breakethrough. Such as Sony's S amp and Hisoundaudio's Class A amp buit in.

That portable game console is a join venture among three companies, where iriver will provides the hardware, a Korean telecommunication company will provide the wireless access and marketing, and a Korean game developer will provide the content. The abandoning of the project was the result of lacking in interest and funding from the market, not solely iriver's responsibility. In fact, iriver sold the hardware design to the telecommunication company which planned to continue the project alone.

If anything, iriver doesn't lack the technological know-how to make good sound DAP. Their design are often much more innovative. The real problem is, they are trying to be too innovative - instead of making a good solid sounding DAP, they dedicates most of their time to features that don't make a DAP better sounding. Why? Because they are trying to keep their part of the regional niche market to themselves. If you look at the the very few regional markets iriver has been successful (S.Korea, Japan and China), you will notice those are the places where competition is very stiff and you need to set yourself a part from the crowd. Trend and fancy features can sell more product than actual SQ. However, in adapting such strategy, they isolate themselves from the older generation of more performance oriented iriver user from the West, while the majority of younger Western generation unfortunately only know the language of iPod and iTune. It a sense, iriver has pretty much completely abandoned the western market.

Just look at MintPass - they are iriver's spin-off and they do not lack the ability to make good gadget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back