New ipods or used?
Aug 24, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 13
Why do you want an ipod? There are many other brands of audio players. What do you want in a player? How much storage? How much battery life? What size do you want the player to be? Do you want one with a touchscreen, or tactile buttons? How much do you want to spend?

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 13
Why do you want an ipod? There are many other brands of audio players. What do you want in a player? How much storage? How much battery life? What size do you want the player to be? Do you want one with a touchscreen, or tactile buttons? How much do you want to spend?
all of this. Nowadays, unless you're unwilling to move beyond the apple ecosystem, there is no reason to buy an ipod anymore... Come to think of it, I don't know anyone that's gotten one in the last several years, what with cell phones being a thing...

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 13
all of this. Nowadays, unless you're unwilling to move beyond the apple ecosystem, there is no reason to buy an ipod anymore... Come to think of it, I don't know anyone that's gotten one in the last several years, what with cell phones being a thing...

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

My son has an alarm clock that has a 30 pin header in it for an iPod. That's a good reason (maybe the OP has one of those)?

Otherwise I generally agree with you. I would get my son a smart phone except for a few things:

He's 12 and destroys everything he touches (2 cell phones and every pair of headphones he's had)

I'm a firm believer that he needs to be responsible with his things before he gets something like that

It's expensive...I already pay $200/mo for our phones, that would be another $40/mo that I don't want to pay

I told him he can have it if he pays for an entire year up front, and he seems to have holes in his pockets when it comes to money :)

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 13
If you just want large storage, you could get a $30 refurbished Sandisk Clip Zip,put the free firmware Rockbox on it,  and put a 64GB or 128GB micro SDXC card into it, formatted as FAT32. If you want to spend more, you could get a Sony A15($220) with 16GB built in and a micro SDXC card slot, or the Sony A17($300) with 64GB built in and a micro SDXC card slot.

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 13
I want a ipod because I want to upgrade the battery and put a 512gb ssd in it. I dont want anything with a touch screen to distract me from my music.
assuming you can put them in (and I don't know if this has been verified yet) you could get a fiio x5/x5ii and put two 2 200gb micro SD cards in it... That's pretty close to a 512gb ssd, and I'm sure it would be a fair bit cheaper. Not to mention the greater compatibility with different music formats... (also, still no touch screen)

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 13
  I dont want anything with a touch screen to distract me from my music.

Isn't it exactly opposite? Pressing tons of buttons and scrolling trough lists of songs to find the one you want to listen to is a huge distraction. Exceptional search function and speed of going trough user interface with just a few touches makes it a lot less distraction than anything with buttons, at least my experience with it (when I started using FiiO X3 after using Nexus 5 as player it was very painful, slow and distracting).

I want a ipod because I want to upgrade the battery

If you want to upgrade battery lifetime by getting iPod instead of listening on smartphone than better get new one (new battery in it) but if you plan on literally upgrading it (changing it) than used one will save you money, I don't know many iPods that stopped working other than battery.

I just got a brand new one today, should I open it or no?

Strange question to ask... why did you got it if you don't want to open it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back