New iPod Touch, Nano, and Classic released
Sep 11, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #91 of 164
they are catching up in hardware, yes. But software and integration are far from equally done by other manufacturers. i am not overly in love with the sound of the iPod touch 2g, but it a far better player than my previous cowon/meizu/sony players which had too many limits to actually playing music. i love the great ways itunes can be bent to listen to music in many many playlists, gapless, in 3 lossless formats; other options on the surface seem great, but they lose out in the most basic of applications, playback of music files.

that said, i am totally uninterested in the new ipods - what a rubbish show by apple.

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #93 of 164
Been testing out my new 16GB 5G Nano with my Shure SE530's.

Comparing to my Walkman A829 the walkman still has the edge in SQ but really not a lot in it to my ears.

Looks better than the previous one and the camera bit looks especially good against the silver Nano. I always thought the edges of the 4g Nano were too thin and easily damaged (especially noticeable last year if you saw them in the Apple store) but I think they've increased the gauge thickness slighty - looks much better.

The glossy surface really is nice. Screen look same brightness/colour quality but obviously bigger & wider. Same old crap earphones, not the clicker ones.

2931058450072427310S500x500Q85.jpg

2758375000072427310S500x500Q85.jpg

The touch wheel doesn't look to be over sensitive like the 4g.

I'm no sound quality expert but sounds just as good as my Walkman A829 really. Better for me actually because all the new Apples have zero background hiss while its very noticeable with the A829 with my Shures.

I think bass is a bit stronger than 4G nano. In fact, I'm sure it is as I thought the 4G was slightly weak compared to the Touch/3GS.

Its a keeper for me As good as anything I've heard before (but as I say, I'm no audiophile).

Can also confirm the multi-click remote works as before (I have the Shure iPhone adapter).

Radio is great. Even better than the one in my W960i and thats good. Live pause is really neat! Pause even works with remote. Better at getting a clean radio signal than my W960i next to it.

Video is fine for 640x480, much better than on my W960i. Can't see me using it much to be honest. Doesn't seem to be a way to see recorded ones in iTunes unless I'm missing something. Can pull them straight off the Nano in the DCIM folder.

My lad will be getting my Walkman.

Done some more extended listening tests back to back with my Walkman A829 on various tracks and the A829 does have the slight edge still but really not a lot in it and the integration with iTunes star ratings/play count plus cable remote operation means the Nano is the better choice for me.

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #94 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by me7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why rubbish? The touch didn't gain any new gimmicks but got a significant storage upgrade and a RAM and CPU boost to speed up the animaton-heavy user interface.
This is exactly what I was hoping for and if the touch 3G gets similar RMAA results to the iPhone 3GS, the 64GB version will be my new DAP.

Their test rig is good and following the test in the way they did was okay, but they forgot one crucial point: most people will listen to a device through some sort of output device: in our case, headphones.

In their test, each machine is unloaded. I don't doubt the 3GS is a phenomenal sounding player, but why I said rubbish was that the touch took giant steps last time (volume rocker, nearly zero hiss, speaker) to become nearly useable like an iphone. this time however, it isn't. Shame too.

Loaded tests will reveal much different results, like a drop in frequency response, higher distortion, lower channel separation: all problems inherent when driving earphones of any ohm level until you hit a magical 200 ohm or so... but then the player will may exhibit huge levels of distortion.

i am glad for the nano, but will never buy it and will probably opt out of the touch...

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #95 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by psikey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been testing out my new 16GB 5G Nano with my Shure SE530's.

Comparing to my Walkman A829 the walkman still has the edge in SQ but really not a lot in it to my ears.

Looks better than the previous one and the camera bit looks especially good against the silver Nano. I always thought the edges of the 4g Nano were too thin and easily damaged (especially noticeable last year if you saw them in the Apple store) but I think they've increased the gauge thickness slighty - looks much better.

The glossy surface really is nice. Screen look same brightness/colour quality but obviously bigger & wider. Same old crap earphones, not the clicker ones.

2931058450072427310S500x500Q85.jpg

2758375000072427310S500x500Q85.jpg

The touch wheel doesn't look to be over sensitive like the 4g.

I'm no sound quality expert but sounds just as good as my Walkman A829 really. Better for me actually because all the new Apples have zero background hiss while its very noticeable with the A829 with my Shures.

I think bass is a bit stronger than 4G nano. In fact, I'm sure it is as I thought the 4G was slightly weak compared to the Touch/3GS.

Its a keeper for me As good as anything I've heard before (but as I say, I'm no audiophile).

Can also confirm the multi-click remote works as before (I have the Shure iPhone adapter).

Radio is great. Even better than the one in my W960i and thats good. Live pause is really neat! Pause even works with remote. Better at getting a clean radio signal than my W960i next to it.

Video is fine for 640x480, much better than on my W960i. Can't see me using it much to be honest. Doesn't seem to be a way to see recorded ones in iTunes unless I'm missing something. Can pull them straight off the Nano in the DCIM folder.

My lad will be getting my Walkman.

Done some more extended listening tests back to back with my Walkman A829 on various tracks and the A829 does have the slight edge still but really not a lot in it and the integration with iTunes star ratings/play count plus cable remote operation means the Nano is the better choice for me.

Nice mini-review, good to hear that you like it.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #99 of 164
i seriously doubt, that the cam on the new nano will be better than 2-years-ago-mobilephone-cams and since almost everyone carries their phone with em at all times, this "gadget" is more than useless.
the fm/radio support thing could be interesting, if apple ads a transfer support to the software, so that you can transfer the music playing on your ipod to your car-radio.
seriously doubt that too, though
frown.gif

other than that, i think apple needs to drop the prices hard.
cheers

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #101 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how on earth apple can try and hype up radio unless it's DAB? If it's FM 10 years too late.

Simple. Business math. 80 percent market share. 0 percent iPods previously with radio. 100 percent new nanos now with radio. Hype.

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #102 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mesomorph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i seriously doubt, that the cam on the new nano will be better than 2-years-ago-mobilephone-cams

Well my SE W960i phones has a 3.1 MP camera which is OK for photos but poor for video due to over compression. The new Nano does better videos.

I see the review is now up for the new Nano on iLounge.

"Sonically, the fifth-generation iPod nano is completely up to snuff with the fourth-generation model, the second-generation iPod classic, as well as the iPhone 3GS, all of which have almost completely eliminated low-level hissing noises from their amplifiers, creating cleaner-sounding audio that’s as close to audiophile-quality as any iPod we’ve previously tested. Even when using $1300 earphones to listen to the latest Beatles album remasters, which were given a fine-tooth combing for sonic imperfections by their producers, the fifth-generation iPod nano produced legitimately wonderful, “no complaints” sound on its default equalizer setting"

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #103 of 164
Normally I buy an ipod touch every year but the new touch doesn't warrant its 3G title as touted. I can still understand that it may be very difficult to top an already freaking awesome device though. Regardless to what, the ipod touch is still one of the better multi tasking devices out there.

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #104 of 164
came back from listening to a friend's iTouch3 32gb today. i definitely feel that the sound is different. most noticeable change was more bass, but unfortunately i didn't really have a lot of familiar music or time to do get a good listen. i feel that the itouch2 is like a silver/spc cable, high in detail but cold. the itouch3 is like copper, there is more warmth, but you notice loss in detail in trade of what sounds like a darker background. using the re0 with the itouch3, i feel as though the "lack" in bass wasn't as bad as the itouch2. hopefully the tear down can help reveal the DAC, because i feel that it should be different than that for itouch2.

btw, there is a definite change in the screen for itouch3. the itouch1 was a blue tinted screen, itouch2 was warm white screen. itouch3 would be a more neutral but heavy in saturation screen. the colors definitely have more saturation and white is more white.

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #105 of 164
Does the new Touch have a faster processor than the 3GS?

The Touch 2G was clocked at 532mhz compared to 412mhz for the 3G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back