New iPod Shuffle
Jan 12, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #91 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightymouse
12 hours? Thats a bit shabby don't you think? The muvo's gots longer battery life and are the same price.

Do they really? At what bitrate and for what codec and have you actually tried a battery test yourself? I ask because many manufacturers inflate their battery life claims, by as much as 100%.

Jan 12, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #93 of 356
Just out of curiosity, I looked up the threads of a year ago when the iPod mini was about to be announced. I think more than a few of us were off base on its future success.

The lead up.

The delivery.

Jan 12, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #94 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinJ
I prefer this one
7818362169425794.JPG

Yes, it looks like an elongated iRiver N10W minus the display.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 12, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #95 of 356
and i'm glad i got my xphone II.
biggrin.gif

how one would navigate with the shuffle is beyond me. maybe apple will be cashing in on 'accessories' such as remote with display that should have been included in the first place? a random playlist? i doubt people would change their listening habits to random listening anytime soon.

Jan 12, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #96 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightymouse
Well my Friend owns a MuVo tx FM and it has 16 hrs per one AAA, at 192 bitrate.

Not only is it removable, and that it has a screen AND an FM radio, but it also does that usb drive function. And it does actually last 16 hours.

Do you mean you went to the trouble of battery testing your friend's MuVo? Or did he simply tell you it lasts 16 hours because he read it in the literature?

At any rate, this points out a plus for the iPod shuffle. The MuVo uses AAA batteries. How many $$$ does your friend spend on batteries each month for his player?

A cool thing about the new iPod shuffle is that it's RECHARGEABLE.

Jan 12, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #97 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
and i'm glad i got my xphone II.
biggrin.gif

how one would navigate with the shuffle is beyond me. maybe apple will be cashing in on 'accessories' such as remote with display that should have been included in the first place? a random playlist? i doubt people would change their listening habits to random listening anytime soon.

i know about 25 people who use DAP's. almost all of them use it in shuffle mode. think of it this way; it's like radio, only with the songs you like. personally don't use any kind of random mode, but i completely understand why so many people do.

Jan 12, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #98 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
i doubt people would change their listening habits to random listening anytime soon.

As others have pointed out, it can play randomly OR in order.

Moreover, many iPod users have already shifted their habits to random listening. And think about it, random is what you get when you listen to radio. And many basic CD players have a shuffle mode. This is not a new paradigm that's going to suddenly turn people off.

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #99 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
As others have pointed out, it can play randomly OR in order.

Moreover, many iPod users have already shifted their habits to random listening. And think about it, random is what you get when you listen to radio. And many basic CD players have a shuffle mode. This is not a new paradigm that's going to suddenly turn people off.

how are you gonna select songs when listening in order without and lcd? thats like walking in the dark. and even if people already has a habit of listening in random order, what makes the shuffle special when other players already have that capability long ago? imo, it is a step backwards by apple, instead of a step forward. apple has been doing this since the 1G ipod, reinventing the wheel, remaining stagnant and milking the ipod brand till it goes dry.

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #100 of 356
although i'm not sure i'm going to get the iPod Shuffle, i can see it's appeal. i'm also the type of person who listens to albums in entirety (and i won't feel right if i don't, the artist intends someone to listen to an album in sequence and entirety) so i know what song comes up next. no need for a screen for me. most of the time i don't even look at the screen on my regular iPod. i just adjust the volume or hit rewind/pause/play etc. when the iPod is in my bag or pocket.

the other thing i find appealing is that it compliments the iPod, not replace it. there are times i don't want to bring along my iPod, and crave for something much smaller and pocketable. it's a bonus that it's iTunes ready (not sure if any other flash players are), so the functions are familiar. last but not least, for those who think one can ONLY transfer songs that are in the iTunes library onto the iPod is not true. one can drag and drop songs from a Windows Explorer window into the iPod iTunes window; works like a charm. that's the way i transfer songs i've backed up on CDR into my iPod.

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #101 of 356
Woohoo it has shuffle that is great, but players with screens have that too, wouldn't it be nice to have a screen anyways? And now I realize that iShuffle has to be stripped of any features because there is absolutley no way to change settings. A screen allows for menus, and eq settings etc. Is there no EQ on iShuffle. It would suck if you wanted to listen to one song you really like, and you are setting there scrolling through 1 gig of songs.......blind, 1 Gigabyte is a a lot of music for no screen....

The iAudio m3 remote screen scared me, now this....

ALL IMO

Whats is all the glory about the iShuffles rechargable battery....you guys say other players cost add up after you purchase it...Well you are wrong, there are rechargable batteries anyways and you could obtain a lot of batteries for very cheap....oh and most importantly the iShuffle becomes a paper weight (if you could say) when the oh-so-magnificent rechargable battery dies...stil hate paying for those AA's ...oh the horror ?
etysmile.gif

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #102 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
Do you mean you went to the trouble of battery testing your friend's MuVo? Or did he simply tell you it lasts 16 hours because he read it in the literature?

At any rate, this points out a plus for the iPod shuffle. The MuVo uses AAA batteries. How many $$$ does your friend spend on batteries each month for his player?

A cool thing about the new iPod shuffle is that it's RECHARGEABLE.

And, when the battery dies out on you one day, you're not going to complain, but send it back to apple for its expensive replacement fee. Wowee.

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #104 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by Truthseeker
Well, for me and a lot of people on Head-fi, it does certainly seems that Ipod has plenty of competitions. In fact, if Creative would've improve their uni-code on their player, I'll probably get that over the ipod, but that's another story all together.
600smile.gif

Even though you can get an extra battery pack for the shuffle, still doesn't compare with other players with same number of batteries, eg 2 extra AAA will keep the Creative N2000 up for 30+15= 45 hours of music.

I read it somewhere that AAC drains more resources then WMA or/and Mp3, I wonder if that 's the reason for the continuous victories for Ipods competitor in the battery time?

I don't mean to pick on you per se, but I'll use your message to address some related topics.

First of all, battery life doesn't drive the sales of portable digital music players. Neither does sound quality. As I'm sure Creative knows.

This may be hard for some folks out there to believe, but I am certain that Apple did a LOT of market research before introducing the iPod and the iPod shuffle. What did Apple learn? Well, probably that the majority of consumers care most about things like ease of use, size, and brand. Not necessarily in that order. American consumers in particular buy brands. Apple knows how to exploit this, and a lot of people here seem to hold that against Apple. To me, it would be a problem only if Apple products sucked. But they don't. They work. I also suspect that Apple also discovered that a lot of iPod and iTunes users use shuffle play and that having a screen isn't a high priority for them.

I get the impression that a lot of people are disappointed with the iPod shuffle because it doesn't meet their expectations of what the new iPod product should have been. Well, in that case, don't buy one. As far as I can tell, Apple is still marketing regular iPods.

And part of me is slightly astonished that people can get so worked up about THINGS. But that's a whole other topic.

Jeffery

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #105 of 356
It is, but those die out faster than the lithium ion ones.

Anywho, in my opinion, apple is like the starbucks of the mp3 industry. They're appearance is pleasing, but the product is far from the value that it is stated at.

Oh, don't get me started on the mini mac. That thing looks like the designers weren't paid enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back