New iPod Shuffle
Jan 11, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #61 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane
they should've just made the thing waterrproof so you don't sweat the thing to death while you're working out.

Jeez...how much do you sweat? Dont work out next to me!
600smile.gif

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #62 of 356
My iRiver player has 40 hours of playback on a *REPLACEABLE* AA and a 4 line screen, could you really compare this player to the shuffle or are they in two different leagues.

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #63 of 356
I think it will be a hit.

Sure there are times you want to "pick" your music, but even here at work, with a dedicated screen for iTunes and my calendar, I just end up hitting "next" when I don't want to hear a particular song. That is, I'm already using my computer set up like a iPod Shuffle.

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #64 of 356
I think they did research and found people "shuffle" quite a lot (I do, too), hence the new menus on the iPods. That probably provided the inspiration for this. I still would have welcomed at least a tiny screen ala an LED watch from the 70s. As far as a remote screen...I hate remotes on portables.

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #65 of 356
iriver products cost more. (probably due to the screen). If you want and need those features then you wouldn't buy the new ipod shuffle. If you are upset that they didn't make a flash player that duplicates an already existing product then sorry. As for if it will be sucessful, it most likely will be. Search on Yahoo or google for the ipod shuffle and every major site / news agency is talking about it.

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #66 of 356
Apple is taking a risk here trying to bring forth a "new" culture of portable music: shuffling through your music instead of choosing albums and songs. It could work or fail, IMHG(uess) the latter.

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #67 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Here's hoping they start selling computers. This was the more interesting introduction if you ask me. A little surprised the iPod Shuffle was announced after. Anyway, back to audio...

Amen to that and much more interesting than the shuffle. This will be the first gen of the ipod I won't be buying.

I hope they sell lots of Mac Minis but I have doubts there too. Now if it had an svideo out and ......

Never mind wrong forum.

The shuffle is droolworthy small and built well. Smaller that the irivers and built better than the samsung. It sounds identical to the regular pods

PS. Rumor here is that Apple is not done with the announcements for the show, just for the splashy ones. Expect a 5gb mini and slightly faster powerbooks very soon

Jan 11, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #68 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayn
Doesn't look like it plays lossless, so I will have to pick some songs, downsample them in iTunes, and move them over to the Shuffle... hmm... I was going to buy one for gym use, but maybe not...

--Andrew

Hm, noticed that as well. Okay, we're totally out of the targetgroup as it seems... while actually with ALAC this thing would stay convenient to use as it would carry only two or three albums maximum, as someone said before, like a portable tape player. I would take one for jogging, but I am not keen on keeping a second "lofi-library" for it.

I see a neat market for this: Romantic gifts that don't leave you as broke (as a mini or fullsize iPod would), just big enough for one really nice playlist that you would normally hand over on a CD, and it plays instantly.

I have a (no flame intended) question to the "I hate iTunes, I know where my files are for drag & drop" fraction: Did you really ever use iTunes? I mean with smart playlists and all? Because that's what it is all about, you set up a smart playlist (...and limit the size to 1GB for the shuffle thingy *g*) that will collect stuff *you want*. You will never have to look at that list again, it will just work. 40% of my iPod is filled this way, and I have no idea why I should manually drag an album I just imported over to the iPod. It automatically ends up in my "new stuff" list and if I play it enough or rate it well enough it will stay on. Saves oodles of time.

Jan 11, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #69 of 356
How many days until someone announces a case for these?
wink.gif

BTW, at bottom of iPod shuffle page.

1. Music capacity is based on 4 minutes per song and 128Kbps AAC encoding.
2. Do not eat iPod shuffle.

indexswitch20050111.gif

New TV spots. No chances there.

Jan 11, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #71 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
How many days until someone announces a case for these?
wink.gif

vaja please.
icon10.gif
Apple has a clear case already, check the accessories.

Jan 11, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #72 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
I see a neat market for this: Romantic gifts that don't leave you as broke (as a mini or fullsize iPod would), just big enough for one really nice playlist that you would normally hand over on a CD, and it plays instantly.

The problem is that there are competing flash players that do the same thing, are the same price, the same size, have more features, actually have a *screen*, etc. In fact, there are also ones that don't have a screen, like this iPod, and they're SMALLER.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
I have a (no flame intended) question to the "I hate iTunes, I know where my files are for drag & drop" fraction: Did you really ever use iTunes? I mean with smart playlists and all? Because that's what it is all about, you set up a smart playlist (...and limit the size to 1GB for the shuffle thingy *g*) that will collect stuff *you want*. You will never have to look at that list again, it will just work. 40% of my iPod is filled this way, and I have no idea why I should manually drag an album I just imported over to the iPod. It automatically ends up in my "new stuff" list and if I play it enough or rate it well enough it will stay on. Saves oodles of time.

I don't have an iPod, but I've tried iTunes, and it sucked. It's a piece of crap: it has no functionality to it, it is weak, restricting, and it is a resource hog.

For instance, you say that if you play something enough it automatically gets imported onto your iPod. That implies that you're using the computer for playback often enough for this to be important. But, oh wait, why would I possibly want to listen to lossy compression on my computer? Or, using ALAC, get stuck into some nasty proprietary format that cannot be easily converted? (Does this thing even support ALAC?)

I had high expectations for iTunes, given how much I had heard about it, but in the end it was just weak, annoying (have to keep telling it not to do stupid things like reorganize my music for me, or encode waves on importation, etc.), and slow.

Jan 11, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #74 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
I don't have an iPod, but I've tried iTunes, and it sucked. It's a piece of crap: it has no functionality to it, it is weak, restricting, and it is a resource hog.

For instance, you say that if you play something enough it automatically gets imported onto your iPod. That implies that you're using the computer for playback often enough for this to be important. But, oh wait, why would I possibly want to listen to lossy compression on my computer? Or, using ALAC, get stuck into some nasty proprietary format that cannot be easily converted? (Does this thing even support ALAC?)

I had high expectations for iTunes, given how much I had heard about it, but in the end it was just weak, annoying (have to keep telling it not to do stupid things like reorganize my music for me, or encode waves on importation, etc.), and slow.

Dude, with all do respect, you may be saying a little more about your ability to operate iTunes, then iTunes inherit. You make it sound like you have no control over import, organization, sync, etc. If you don't want to use AAC or ALAC, don't. But those formats are shockingly features, not bugs.

Jan 11, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #75 of 356
Quote:

The problem is that there are competing flash players that do the same thing

A problem for who?
Quote:

U weren't using iTunes then. U were only staring into a mirror.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back