New iPod Shuffle
Jan 12, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #181 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis
Thats what the guy at apple store told me, i would have thought you could at least delete contents of drive then fill but he said no? Maybe only specified part of the drive is formated for data use?

that's a total suck job! even an ipod's hard drive doesnt need to be reformatted to include a folder or two for data only.

Jan 12, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #182 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
First review comes in -
http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/solution-20050112.html

Nice article. Nearly 16 hours (15 hours and 44 minutes) on the "12-hour" battery. Sweet!

Unlike many manufacturers, Apple normally underestimates battery life (albeit they overestimated for their 1st gen iPods). I wonder how the "16-hour" MuVo battery life really compares?

Jan 12, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #183 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis
Thats what the guy at apple store told me, i would have thought you could at least delete contents of drive then fill but he said no? Maybe only specified part of the drive is formated for data use?

It may or may not be true, but I wouldn't take a salesperson's word on it. A few folks here already have the iPod Shuffle. Can anyone confirm this?

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #184 of 356
i have a quick question for those who has the iPod Shuffle:

if i have both my iPod and the iPod Shuffle connected on my computer at the same time, can i transfer songs (drag and drop) from my iPod to the iPod Shuffle through iTunes? it seems logical as the sources on iTunes appear as separate windows.

thanx in advance...

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #185 of 356
I've been thinking about the iPod shuffle. Like everybody said, it doesn't have a screen, so therefore it would be difficult to choose a song you would like to listen to. Apple even advertises this "feature" as a positive thing. Don't have control of your music. Even if you discover new music, you won't even be able to know what song is playing! So inconvenient!

Let's face it. Not every song in your collection is good, many are uninspired and some are just terrible and make you wanna rip your phones off.

Ugh. I cannot get over it. Apple advertises the fact that you give up control of your music collection as a good thing.

GROSS

But I do see the positive things about it. It's very small and lightweight, which would make it an acceptable partner for the gym. It's inexpensive, and it doubles as an inexpensive Flash drive.

This is all speculation, but time will tell.

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #186 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000
I've been thinking about the iPod shuffle. Like everybody said, it doesn't have a screen, so therefore it would be difficult to choose a song you would like to listen to. Apple even advertises this "feature" as a positive thing. Don't have control of your music. Even if you discover new music, you won't even be able to know what song is playing! So inconvenient!

Let's face it. Not every song in your collection is good, many are uninspired and some are just terrible and make you wanna rip your phones off.

Ugh. I cannot get over it. Apple advertises the fact that you give up control of your music collection as a good thing.

GROSS

But I do see the positive things about it. It's very small and lightweight, which would make it an acceptable partner for the gym. It's inexpensive, and it doubles as an inexpensive Flash drive.

This is all speculation, but time will tell.

I can't think of any songs that I listen to that I want to turn off rather than listen to them. The shuffle is definitely not for everyone, but what device is. Those feel the lack of screen is important won't buy it. As has been pointed out there are plenty of alternatives. For the rest of us this may turn out to be a great little player.

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #187 of 356
This thing has started to grow on me, a screen wold be nice but is in no means neccessary. On a the 512mb you would have about 100 songs most of the time you wil have put them on fairly recently so its not as if you will have to skip far to find a song you want to liste to. Its going to be plugged into a computer fairly often so its going to be getting a charge top-up fairly often so how likely are you likely to run the battery flat. The thing that gets me though is how they have the gaul to charge £20 (~$35-40) for a dock that is basically a glorified usb extension cable and i never noticed mention of a lineout on this one. In my opinion it does look pretty sleek and cool to. The one thing is if it turned out to sound spectacular (i doubt it will be any better or worse than other players) how many would turn a blind eye to the lack of screen and sing its praises?

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #188 of 356
I agree there is some slick marketing involved in part of Apple, but the Shuffle doesn't seem to be too bad without a screen. Once again, the power of iTunes makes the iPod Shuffle a lot better than the hardware alone seems to indicate. With itunes you can control the degree of randomness that goes into the shuffle by having it sync only higher rated songs or certain playlists. As for not knowing the song that is played, you can always look at their names when you plug it back into the computer. I think for tracks with vocals on them, you should be able to at least narrow it down to an artist. whatever is on the shuffle is on your computer as well. Chances are, if you are a regular itunes user or who uses itunes to rip cds, your songs are already highly organized already.

I use an ipod 3g on my daily commute and I almost never take it out to look at the screen. I pick a playlist to play and switch songs by pushing the fast forward button mostly. As I have mentioned, I dont use itunes when I am on the computer but I rate songs from the ipod which gets transferred over to itunes when ever I sync. I set smart playlists to create and _maintain_ playlists depending on such settings as genre, play count, last played, and rating and then I can use those auto-generated playlists to sync to the shuffle.

of course having a screen would be better on the shuffle, but not having one doesnt make it impossible to use. like tyrion said, not for everyone, but it will work for many of us, especially those that already own ipods.

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #189 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000

well... that's why iTunes allows the user to rate songs in their collection from zero to five stars. from what i've read the iPod Shuffle can be set to sync songs from a certain rating in your collection.

Jan 13, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #190 of 356
Sandisk 512MB, voice recording, LCD WMA/MP3, playlists
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...125-003&depa=0

$103

Transcend 1GB, FM, WMA/MP3, voice recorder, LCD
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...159-004&depa=0

$145

Creative's CEO after the announcment:

Quote:

We’re expecting a good fight but they’re coming out with something that’s five generations older. It’s our first generation MuVo One product feature, without display, just have a (shuffle feature). We had that — that’s a four-year-old product. So I think the whole industry will just laugh at it, because the flash people — it’s worse than the cheapest Chinese player. Even the cheap, cheap Chinese brand today has display and has FM. They don’t have this kind of thing, and they expect to come out with a fight; I think it’s a non-starter to begin with.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000343027143/

Jan 13, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #191 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
I'd say, based on a quick Amazon search of flash mp3 players, that these are priced very competitively. Anything I saw that was close to $99 (amazon price, not list price) was only 256mb or less.

$60 - 128MB Rio Forge
$36.50 - 512MB SD card
=
$96.50 - 640MB flash player WITH screen

Not to mention you can use the SD for other applications when you get a new computer.

Jan 13, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #192 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg
Sandisk 512MB, voice recording, LCD WMA/MP3, playlists
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...125-003&depa=0

$103

Transcend 1GB, FM, WMA/MP3, voice recorder, LCD
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...159-004&depa=0

$145

Creative's CEO after the announcment:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000343027143/

For all the reasons I've stated in my earlier posts, I wouldn't touch that player. Unless and until it uses itunes, it's worthless to me. What's unfortunate for Creative' is that the CEO can talk all the trash he wants but in the end it's just Creative and will never be Apple.

Jan 13, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #193 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
For all the reasons I've stated in my earlier posts, I wouldn't touch that player. Unless and until it uses itunes, it's worthless to me. What's unfortunate for Creative' is that the CEO can talk all the trash he wants but in the end it's just Creative and will never be Apple.

And what's funny though is that I refuse to own an iPod (even if my Karma were to break, and it's at 15 mos strong) for the very same reason. I will not be locked into one audio format and one music store when there are many other players out there and many more music stores as well.

Jan 13, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #194 of 356
As far as i know only BlessingX has listned t oit so far and he said he couldn't make a judgement as far as sound quality is concerned. For a sight that is in search for sound quality and best bang for their buck I'm surprised how quickly people are so quick to dismiss and compare it to players that are comparable in price but I doubt will be comparable in sound quality (going by track record) such as the sandisk, transcend and a lot of the chines players that the creative ceo mentioned. I won't be able to but I think we should wait till people have listened to it before writing it off completely.

Jan 13, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #195 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg
And what's funny though is that I refuse to own an iPod (even if my Karma were to break, and it's at 15 mos strong) for the very same reason. I will not be locked into one audio format and one music store when there are many other players out there and many more music stores as well.

I understand. I don't buy music from the itunes music store or any other, although my kids use itunes. I buy cd's and rip them using itunes. I've used an ipod since the beginning. My first was the 5gb using ephpod and mediafour xplay to use it on a pc. I've never owned another player. I've considered others but in the end always end up with the ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back