New iPod Family!
Sep 6, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #256 of 451
Quote:
I think that my 2009 iPod Classic + LOD + iBasso T3 sounds pretty damn good let me tell you. I can enjoy greatly the music and the UI, aftermarket and Apple tech support across the street (If needed).

I'm sure that the brick called hifiman would sound a tad better but not enough to negate all the other facts.

I don't know how much better the IBasso T3 sounds than the Corda2Move (which I used + LOD with my old 5.5G iPod video) but if you think the Classic is worth listening to, you're missing out not giving the previous generation iPod a listen. (If you don't mind your UI being a little less pretty than it used to.)

And if there are any Hifiman owners in the DC area I'd sure like to hear one of these & play around with it a little bit before committing to such a purchase (which wasn't on my to-do or wishlist anyway, but I'm curious...)

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #257 of 451

Quote:
It could be easily said that 95% of people are cattle (i hope i've picked the right word), and apple tells that cattle what should they want and produces things that cattle purchases only because apple told them to, not because of any real advantages. And yes, the remaining 5% will hate apple for that.

Apple tells You what to buy? We're living in free countries and enjoy free market (at least most of us :) ) so I don't really get Your point. If You are not satisfied with something just don't buy it instead of complaining how much better it might have been. And don't insist that if others are buying it it's because they are cattle as the same thing can be told about every manufacturer - I guess that Sony that we both own has a wifi, web browser, picture viewer and movie player instead of just being a much better player than it is. So do You feel like a cattle just because You've bought what Sony wanted You to buy?

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #258 of 451
This thread is quickly becoming epic.
cool.gif

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #259 of 451

Quote:
This thread is quickly becoming epic.
cool.gif

Would these forums not exist without spirited debate instigated by characters who like to poke especially touchy folk like audiophiles, hifi nuts and music-lovers about their fears and insecurities? Especially when a great many of them (us) own iStuff, and bend over backwards trying to get them to sound better.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #260 of 451

Quote:
Would these forums not exist without spirited debate instigated by characters who like to poke especially touchy folk like audiophiles, hifi nuts and music-lovers about their fears and insecurities? Especially when a great many of them (us) own iStuff, and bend over backwards trying to get them to sound better.

True enough!
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #261 of 451

Quote:
Only 0.1% of audiophiles are ready to either carry the hifiman brick with them or separate dap + amp.

Quote:
Are you saying that "only very limited number of people are ready to carry a dap + an amp to listen music" is only my assumption?
So, in your opinion, there are many people who'd used dap with an external amp as a portable source?

I would say a third to half of "audiophiles", but only about 2 to 3 percent of "people" are willing to carry external amp with their DAP, if that is what you are asking.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #262 of 451

Quote:
  Quote:

I would say a third to half of "audiophiles", but only about 2 to 3 percent of "people" are willing to carry external amp with their DAP, if that is what you are asking.

I don't carry an amp around....I only use one at home, and even then not all the time. Of course, I don't have a Pico or Headstage Arrow, either....

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #263 of 451
The AMP3 and the HiFiMan 801. "Audiophile" players are nothing but a load of garbage. If you wan't good sound quality then buy a Cowon, Sansa, Sony, or a Zune HD. Not everyone believes in using equalizers. Now about portable amps.... I am not a big fan, because they do take away from portability. I think a DAP+IEM is the best match for portability.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #264 of 451

Quote:
It's not only a DAP so if You're buying it for that purpose only You're obviously choosing the wrong one. I don't see any fanboyism if someone states it has touchscreen and so on - the purpose of itouch is not only to play the music. It's n-in-1 product and serves that purpose quite well. 

I understand that the purpose of iTouch is not only to play the music; but this is not excuse to that ipod (don't know about iTouch) plays music extremely bad. As i have said before, MS and Sony are also producing "n-in-1" products; but these products at least do their main purpose well.

Quote:
It also doesn't sound even half as bad as You're trying to suggest - it's not perfect but it's decent. For people using phones for less than 100$ it's perfectly OK

I'm using about CM700, the price is about $100. Ipod video is nearly unlistenable on these, zune is significantly better, sony x1000, a840 and kenwood hd60gd9 are fine.

Quote:
 and combined with a good amplifier fed from line-out it can really sound quite good.

So if i'm purchasing an ipod to listen to music, i should purchase another brick to make it sound at least acceptable for me?

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #265 of 451

Quote:
  Quote:

Okay, it seems i've expressed myself not good enough.
By "0.1% of audiophiles" i meant "only audiophiles, about 0.1% of people".
And it is really closer to 0.1% than to 2-3%.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #266 of 451

Quote:
Apple tells You what to buy? We're living in free countries and enjoy free market (at least most of us :) ) so I don't really get Your point.

Free market doesn't mean that there is no advertising. Yes, Jobs says to that 95% what they should want and what they should not. And 95% listen to Jobs because its advertising is better than competitors', not because apple products are better.

Quote:
 If You are not satisfied with something just don't buy it instead of complaining how much better it might have been. And don't insist that if others are buying it it's because they are cattle as the same thing can be told about every manufacturer - I guess that Sony that we both own has a wifi, web browser, picture viewer and movie player instead of just being a much better player than it is. So do You feel like a cattle just because You've bought what Sony wanted You to buy?

As i have said many times before, Sony included web browser and wifi not by the expense of music playback. Only Apple (or apple fanboys) uses that "we have a touchscreen, we have a web browser, we have an apps in our ipod" as excuse to bad SQ and unconvenient music playback interface.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #267 of 451
penartur, 
I think you are missing the point, and your frustration is misdirected. 
you can claim that ipods don't have audiophile quality SQ, or even a decent SQ in your standards, but how does this make those who buy it or like apple ipods sheep?
as a lot of people have already mentioned, apple is not targeting or claiming audiophile quality sound, or claiming best sounding portable devices. and if people are buying it, and if audiophiles are using it and complaining about the SQ, how is this the companies fault? 
a lot of people buy it for different priorities. 
I have an ipod. I am aware that it is not the best sounding portable player, but for my purposes its decent. and I am willing to tweak it a little by attaching a LOD+amp to improve on its sound. it's a compromise, but for me and others I guess it's worth it. 
but my liking the ipod is not just based on sound quality. I like it because it syncs with my mac flawlessly (for pc users this might not be the case). I also like the functions and the clickwheel which you find so backward. 
I like its customer service. if i have a problem, i just drop it off at an apple store to get it fixed. I don't have to post it somewhere or fill out stupid forms for warranty cards. its all registered automatically. an example, I am now stuck in a tiny pacific island and had an issue with my macbook, where all I had to do was to drop it off at the only small apple dealer, which apple had provided in training technicians for repair. I didn't have to dig out my receipt, as it was already in their system. within a week it was fixed, where apple had shipped through ems the part needed. now if it was another company, it would have taken a lot longer, and had to deal with paperwork, and in some cases even regional warranty - I had bought the computer in japan, not on the island. 
as for other players you mention, like the sony's..they may have better SQ, but they lack in other parts. sony screwed themselves for a long time with their sonicstage software, even though my minidisc player had superior sound at the time. but eventually it was too annoying and ipods at the time were more convenient with their software and hardware. notice I say it was more convenient and not mention  better in SQ. at the time ipod claimed to give better user experience and convenience in its format. and to this date, it has kept that strength. this is the reason why many people who you claim to be sheep buy it. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #268 of 451
I had a video ipod and an iphone 3g, the sound was fairly good for a portable. With the latter, I was coming from a Zune HD, and I could live with the slightly decreased fidelity.  I've read the 3GS and 4 are noticeably improved. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #269 of 451
Interesting discussion in this thread.

A thing that I am curious about is the sales of the new iPod Nano. The postage stamp touch screen is a major fail by Apple. But probably people will swallow it like the French nobility in the 17 hundreds swallowed macaron by the wagon loads. The Stamp Nano(TM) will be seen as a great innovation even if several features from older Nano generations have been removed. Apple can do no wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back