New iPod Family!
Sep 6, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #243 of 451
Because that's what I was guessing- this will sound repetitive, but I keep saying that Apple continually takes products that are designed by- and for- software engineers, and makes them accessible to ordinary people.  Low and behold, the person who hates apple the most is a software engineer.

No offense of course, I'm just saying that it makes sense.

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #244 of 451
@Penartur: I agree wholeheartedly that iPod SQ is wanting; the aforementioned IPod video (the first one I bought, and the best one I've heard so far) still couldn't hold a candle to my 13 year-old Discman, which if memory serves me right cost ~$120 back then, and was the best sounding DAP (if you can call a CD player a DAP, which you probably cannot) I've ever heard. What won me over was not marketing, but the fact that it rewarded me for having picked it up. It felt sexy in the hand like nothing else ever made, and it allowed me to put my hands on my whole music collection with an interface that was legible, uncluttered, snappy, and quickly became an extension of my will. This, as others have said ad nauseam on this thread, was the principal reason for its success. Marketing matters, oh yes it does, and marketing and fashion appeal put it in the hands of more people, first, than the likes of any other manufacturer could ever cope. But what kept it in their hands, and mine, is that they've found a faithful, sexy and uncomplaining companion that requires little thought to operate, and as a bonus feels like a polished ingot mined from the core of Jupiter, and doesn't sound horrible. I've actually heard (and owned) worse-sounding CD players.

Heck, if I cared as much as I think you do about SQ, then I'd still be listening to that Discman. Or better yet, trying to get my hands on a D-50 or older model---which I think I will, if for kicks. Can't run with the stupid thing.

Show me a DAP with the capacity and footprint of an iPod Classic, and that sounds better unamped than a D-50 or D-555 (^^), and runs on iOS4, and I'll likely be satisfied. (Until someone does something better.)

Quote: rhythmdevils
Apple continually takes products that are designed by- and for- software engineers, and makes them accessible to ordinary people.  Low and behold, the person who hates apple the most is a software engineer.

+1. No offense. rofl

Sep 6, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #245 of 451
I think that my 2009 iPod Classic + LOD + iBasso T3 sounds pretty damn good let me tell you. I can enjoy greatly the music and the UI, aftermarket and Apple tech support across the street (If needed).

I'm sure that the brick called hifiman would sound a tad better but not enough to negate all the other facts.

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #246 of 451

Quote:
Because that's what I was guessing- this will sound repetitive, but I keep saying that Apple continually takes products that are designed by- and for- software engineers, and makes them accessible to ordinary people.  Low and behold, the person who hates apple the most is a software engineer.

No offense of course, I'm just saying that it makes sense.

It could be easily said that 95% of people are cattle (i hope i've picked the right word), and apple tells that cattle what should they want and produces things that cattle purchases only because apple told them to, not because of any real advantages. And yes, the remaining 5% will hate apple for that.

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #247 of 451

Quote:
I think that my 2009 iPod Classic + LOD + iBasso T3 sounds pretty damn good let me tell you. I can enjoy greatly the music and the UI, aftermarket and Apple tech support across the street (If needed).

I'm sure that the brick called hifiman would sound a tad better but not enough to negate all the other facts.

Only 0.1% of audiophiles are ready to either carry the hifiman brick with them or separate dap + amp.

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #248 of 451

Quote:
@Penartur: I agree wholeheartedly that iPod SQ is wanting; the aforementioned IPod video (the first one I bought, and the best one I've heard so far) still couldn't hold a candle to my 13 year-old Discman, which if memory serves me right cost ~$120 back then, and was the best sounding DAP (if you can call a CD player a DAP, which you probably cannot) I've ever heard. What won me over was not marketing, but the fact that it rewarded me for having picked it up. It felt sexy in the hand like nothing else ever made, and it allowed me to put my hands on my whole music collection with an interface that was legible, uncluttered, snappy, and quickly became an extension of my will. This, as others have said ad nauseam on this thread, was the principal reason for its success. Marketing matters, oh yes it does, and marketing and fashion appeal put it in the hands of more people, first, than the likes of any other manufacturer could ever cope. But what kept it in their hands, and mine, is that they've found a faithful, sexy and uncomplaining companion that requires little thought to operate, and as a bonus feels like a polished ingot mined from the core of Jupiter, 

I'm not thinking that iOS or ipod firmware is great for audio player. For example, Sony's NW-HD5 extremely simple interface is a way more convenient than that of iPod Video; Zune's interface (as glamourous as Apple's is) is more convenient than that of iPod Video; Sony X1000 touchscreen+buttons interface is a way more convenient than that of iPhone 3G.
And what about hardware - i'm happy that no manufacturer (except for MS with their Z-pad) copied that stupid and unuseable ClickWheel thing in favor of standart 9-button layout or something similar. I'm happy that there still are DAPs with classic design, not looking as a brick of soap, and not with that ugly polished back.
iTunes is extremely buggy and nearly unuseable when compared to SonicStage or Zune Software.

Quote:
and doesn't sound horrible. I've actually heard (and owned) worse-sounding CD players.

I agree that chinese noname DAPs, sold by the weight, may sound even worse than iPod, but this is not excuse for Apple. Is there some DAP from some major brand that sounds as horrible as ipod does?

Quote:
Heck, if I cared as much as I think you do about SQ, then I'd still be listening to that Discman. Or better yet, trying to get my hands on a D-50 or older model---which I think I will, if for kicks. Can't run with the stupid thing.

I've said that i'm not an audiophile. I'm not searching for the best possible SQ, i'm searching for an acceptable SQ, so that i could enjoy the music. And ipod is a way below than "acceptable".

Quote:
Show me a DAP with the capacity and footprint of an iPod Classic, and that sounds better unamped than a D-50 or D-555 (^^), and runs on iOS4, and I'll likely be satisfied. (Until someone does something better.)

By this requirement of iOS you're just saying that you need an ipod, and that you will refuse any DAP from any other manufacturer just because it is not from Apple.

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #249 of 451

Quote:
Only 0.1% of audiophiles are ready to either carry the hifiman brick with them or separate dap + amp.

That's your assumption and your posts are plagued by them. Anyway to me it's clear that you have heavy feelings against Apple. That's ok but do not try to get people on your boat by posting such a bunch of blatant exaggerations and debatable assumptions.

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #250 of 451

Quote:
It could be easily said that 95% of people are cattle (i hope i've picked the right word), and apple tells that cattle what should they want and produces things that cattle purchases only because apple told them to, not because of any real advantages. And yes, the remaining 5% will hate apple for that.

Yowzers.  I guess that makes me a blind cow then.  If you say so

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #252 of 451

Quote:
That's your assumption and your posts are plagued by them. Anyway to me it's clear that you have heavy feelings against Apple. That's ok but do not try to get people on your boat by posting such a bunch of blatant exaggerations and debatable assumptions.

Are you saying that "only very limited number of people are ready to carry a dap + an amp to listen music" is only my assumption?
So, in your opinion, there are many people who'd used dap with an external amp as a portable source?

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #253 of 451

Quote:
Are you saying that "only very limited number of people are ready to carry a dap + an amp to listen music" is only my assumption?
So, in your opinion, there are many people who'd used dap with an external amp as a portable source?

.I'm not getting in the ring :wink: But that's not what you wrote anyway.

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #254 of 451
Okay, I didn't read the whole thread due to time constraints but I have a quick question. Any info in regards to how the latest iPod touch sounds? How does it compare to the latest iPod classic?

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #255 of 451

Quote:
I'm saying the same about apple. Apple fanboys are saying that itouch has a touchscreen and apps and wifi and games and camera etc, but i'm using a DAP as a DAP, with a sole purpose of listening music. And all apple production does its purpose insanely bad, but instead offers a bunch of bells and whistles.

It's not only a DAP so if You're buying it for that purpose only You're obviously choosing the wrong one. I don't see any fanboyism if someone states it has touchscreen and so on - the purpose of itouch is not only to play the music. It's n-in-1 product and serves that purpose quite well. It also doesn't sound even half as bad as You're trying to suggest - it's not perfect but it's decent. For people using phones for less than 100$ it's perfectly OK and combined with a good amplifier fed from line-out it can really sound quite good. So although I prefer my Sony's to my iTouch I disagree with You regarding its audio reproduction quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back