New iPod Family!
Sep 3, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #151 of 451

Quote:
Yeah, the nano is awesome.
I always wanted an shuffle because my classic is too big and heavy. But now, the nano is really small, it has a clip, and it has more memory than the shuffle, so I AM GOING TO BUY IT! 

I agree.  My only post in this thread was a rant about Apple and the DAP industry as a whole, but the nano makes a lot of sense as an ultra portable.  For someone that wants to keep a large variety of songs on a player and use it for high levels of activity.  The new nano seems to fit in nicely with the sansa clip in regards to portability and capacity.  Now I'm not sure how the new nano's sound quality stacks up to the clip's but it is three times the price...anyway good to have choices.  I do find it interesting that people all over the internet seem bitter about the lack of video support and the camera, but at the same time these people clamor for a pure music device and freely admit that the old camera was rubbish and the screen was too small to watch video.  Personally, I think the new nano form factor is brilliant for what I typically use mp3 players for, but again with the comparison to the clip....

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #152 of 451

Quote:
People on this site make me laugh. Every year it is the same thing about flac and a customisable EQ.

Those aren't exactly unreasonable complaints. Granted, Apple isn't the only company that forces users to use its proprietary lossless format (I'm looking at you Microsoft) but, seeing as they're the biggest players in the game and they won't support the go-to lossless codec for most users is pretty disconcerting.

As far as their opposition to custom EQs, I'm really surprised and disappointed that they haven't added it yet. Is it really that difficult to provide users with a way to tailor sound to their liking?

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #155 of 451

Quote:
Well my entire library is Flac.  So, I would not only need to spend $150 apple junk mp3 player, but I'd then need to find and maybe even purchase a FLAC lossless to Apple Lossless converter, then I would need to buy an extra hard drive just to hold the 400gb or so hard drive full of 20 years of CD collecting and converting to flac in recently years...then i would need to spend a solid week of non stop converting just to be able to play all my music on this new ipod, 

good lord, apple is just so terrible and doesn't think past their nose, why do audiophiles support apple if apple doesnt support audiophiles?

FAIL APPLE IS FAIL

You don't have to convert aaaalll your music to ALAC, you can just automatically convert the FLAC files to ALAC when you're sending it to your iPod and leave the FLAC files untouched.

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #156 of 451
Think I need a 160 now that rips are lossless instead of past 7 years worth of 192kbps AAC. Somehow my 4th gen 20GB is nearing it's end 
cool.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #157 of 451

Quote:
I agree.  My only post in this thread was a rant about Apple and the DAP industry as a whole, but the nano makes a lot of sense as an ultra portable.  For someone that wants to keep a large variety of songs on a player and use it for high levels of activity.  The new nano seems to fit in nicely with the sansa clip in regards to portability and capacity.  Now I'm not sure how the new nano's sound quality stacks up to the clip's but it is three times the price...anyway good to have choices.  I do find it interesting that people all over the internet seem bitter about the lack of video support and the camera, but at the same time these people clamor for a pure music device and freely admit that the old camera was rubbish and the screen was too small to watch video.  Personally, I think the new nano form factor is brilliant for what I typically use mp3 players for, but again with the comparison to the clip....

It's not necessarily the same people. I thought the camera was a gimmick but the video on the nano was watchable. That was a major feature.

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #158 of 451

Quote:

As far as their opposition to custom EQs, I'm really surprised and disappointed that they haven't added it yet. Is it really that difficult to provide users with a way to tailor sound to their liking?

I think if it can't play its own puny bass boost preset without distortion, a custom EQ would do more harm to the sound than not.

Quote:
I swear people want an EQ but they never actually use EQs.

I am happy with my Cowon S9 EQ... I use it everyday, but I still think that a 'new' iPod should at least have this option... even if it's not as good as a Cowon.

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #159 of 451

Quote:

I think if it can't play its own puny bass boost preset without distortion, a custom EQ would do more harm to the sound than not.

Perhaps. But, I guess we'll never know.

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #160 of 451
Apple updated the EQ on the iPhone with OS4.0. Now when you turn EQ on, the volume is lowered such that the highest boosted frequency is at the original volume. Distortion is a thing of the past. I still don't use it.

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #161 of 451
isn't it generally agreed among head-fiers, that a headphones sound quality isn't/shouldn't be dependent on the equalizer?

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #163 of 451
@ BuffaloWings: Perhaps, but I think an EQ, especially with crossfeed or oversampling, can add a lot of enjoyment to listening, especially with different genres that may require more or less bass/space/vocal presence. BBE MP seems to be to my music what Blu-Ray is to video... it lets you experience the details that where missed before, and in the case of BBE ViVA, it gives you a more enveloping soundstage.

Sep 4, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #164 of 451

Quote:
good lord, apple is just so terrible and doesn't think past their nose, why do audiophiles support apple if apple doesnt support audiophiles?

FAIL APPLE IS FAIL

Well, apple is not targeting the audiophiles. I mean, why would they?
If apple makes an mp3 player like those HiFiMANs and sell it for 500 bucks, then who would buy it? only the audiophiles that's like 0.01% of the people buying a new media player.

Sep 4, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #165 of 451

Quote:

I agree.  My only post in this thread was a rant about Apple and the DAP industry as a whole, but the nano makes a lot of sense as an ultra portable.  For someone that wants to keep a large variety of songs on a player and use it for high levels of activity.  The new nano seems to fit in nicely with the sansa clip in regards to portability and capacity.

Nano is missing the crucial thing to be usable for high levels activity - real buttons. Do You want to pick player from your belt or pocket just to skip the song?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back