NEW information on JH-3a
Sep 8, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #1,832 of 2,176
Just jumping in to say... for what it's worth... since dropping out of this after over a year of waiting, it feels a lot better outside looking in, then inside looking out. You may want to consider the other options (MacBook Air and an iPad, Rega TT and a ton of vinyl, trip to Bali, etc.), you can do with the cash. JHA so completely dropped the ball on this and the number of supported posts here and tweets I made seems silly and naive now. Best of luck for those waiting of course, but for those looking at another two weeks, and another two weeks, you may want to stop. Life is short and you have options. 

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #1,833 of 2,176
Just jumping in to say... for what it's worth... since dropping out of this after over a year of waiting, it feels a lot better outside looking in, then inside looking out. You may want to consider the other options (MacBook Air and an iPad, Rega TT and a ton of vinyl, trip to Bali, etc.), you can do with the cash. JHA so completely dropped the ball on this and the number of supported posts here and tweets I made seems silly and naive now. Best of luck for those waiting of course, but for those looking at another two weeks, and another two weeks, you may want to stop. Life is short and you have options. 

It seems they are very close to resuming shipping.

Here's a reply that I got from Jerry two days ago after emailing him about it.

The noise floor has been solved as well as the gain difference betwen the digital and analog in.

I am waiting for boards and for them to be completed and populated.

I am waiting for a real timeline from the factory and I should know in the next day or two. We had to scrap the components on the first 200 amps. The lead time on a few of the components are the only concern at this point.

All of the earpieces are complete. It will be a fast turn around once the amps are in house.

I'm sorry for the delay but the end result will be worth the wait.

Jerry Harvey
Owner/ Artist Relations
JH Audio

Sep 8, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #1,834 of 2,176

Quote:
The noise floor has been solved as well as the gain difference between the digital and analog in.

I am waiting for boards and for them to be completed and populated.

I am waiting for a real time line from the factory and I should know in the next day or two. We had to scrap the components on the first 200 amps. The lead time on a few of the components are the only concern at this point.

All of the earpieces are complete. It will be a fast turn around once the amps are in house.

I'm sorry for the delay but the end result will be worth the wait.

Jerry Harvey
Owner/ Artist Relations
JH Audio

Now I haven't pre-ordered these, so I do have the advantage of not having waited an eternity for this to arrive. And I'm blissfully unaware of the promises that JHA has failed to meet regarding this product.

But I will just say this. If he has scrapped the first 200 units, and sent the demo units back for changes time and time again. He will be hemorrhaging money at this stage. And yet he is still sticking to his price, and also sticking to the product. If this unit does turn out to be as good as the few units that are out there (with the flaws corrected) . This will not only be a significant step in the right direction regarding sound. But also represent an very large percentage of JHA's initial profit to recoup losses from both R&D and further bug fixes with the 200 units that are now 'scrapped'. I may be the only person. But in my opinion, that's a pretty big thing. I have no idea how much time and money went into designing these unit and then manufacturing them, followed closely by re-manufacturing (a couple of times? could be wrong don't follow this thread terribly closely). But the investment would certainly be large enough that he may not see any actual profits from these units for quite some time.

So while I completely understand your frustration at waiting this long. I'm only trying to bring across the otherside, that Jerry and JHA are still trying to get this right. Where others might have just refunded money and given up by this point. And they have been offering refunds the whole time (also as far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong). I do hope this product is worth the wait. Both for all fellow head-fier's eargerly awaiting this product, and JHA themselves as at this stage the JH3A would be both their precious baby, and the thorn in their side at this point in time I dare say.

Just my 2c.

Sep 8, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #1,835 of 2,176
i'll be surprised if we see this thing shipping before October.  I also got that email from Jerry when i emailed him.  I wasnt going to post it b/c i was hoping they would actually send a proper update, and didnt want my post to be an incentive for them to rely on head-fi'ers to do their job for them. 

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #1,836 of 2,176

I do agree with a lot of what you are saying, but for the record, they have not been voluntarily offering refunds the entire time. They specifically sent out an email to the contrary at one point. However, when pushed, Brittany did waiver on this (as she is legally obligated to!), before they officially changed their stance. In their defense, they thought they were close to shipping (again!), and that didn't manifest.

I personally go back and forth all the time on whether to cancel, and I'm pretty much 90% of the way to doing so. I think the pain around that decision for me is around how much I have invested in ancillary equipment and cabling, and, more importantly, time and the attendant anguish that has gone into waiting for this thing. To your point, I would rather have the option of cancelling rather than having the project cancelled altogether. Though you have to wonder just what their breaking point is, at this late stage.

Quote:
Now I haven't pre-ordered these, so I do have the advantage of not having waited an eternity for this to arrive. And I'm blissfully unaware of the promises that JHA has failed to meet regarding this product.

But I will just say this. If he has scrapped the first 200 units, and sent the demo units back for changes time and time again. He will be hemorrhaging money at this stage. And yet he is still sticking to his price, and also sticking to the product. If this unit does turn out to be as good as the few units that are out there (with the flaws corrected) . This will not only be a significant step in the right direction regarding sound. But also represent an very large percentage of JHA's initial profit to recoup losses from both R&D and further bug fixes with the 200 units that are now 'scrapped'. I may be the only person. But in my opinion, that's a pretty big thing. I have no idea how much time and money went into designing these unit and then manufacturing them, followed closely by re-manufacturing (a couple of times? could be wrong don't follow this thread terribly closely). But the investment would certainly be large enough that he may not see any actual profits from these units for quite some time.

So while I completely understand your frustration at waiting this long. I'm only trying to bring across the otherside, that Jerry and JHA are still trying to get this right. Where others might have just refunded money and given up by this point. And they have been offering refunds the whole time (also as far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong). I do hope this product is worth the wait. Both for all fellow head-fier's eargerly awaiting this product, and JHA themselves as at this stage the JH3A would be both their precious baby, and the thorn in their side at this point in time I dare say.

Just my 2c.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #1,837 of 2,176
garetjax1 don't cancel! They are soooo close. I am at work listening to it right now and I am always blown away by the crystal clear detail and punchy bass. Even streaming from Rhapsody through my Wavelink HS this thing sounds great. As soon as the new one is out with the improved noise floor everyone will be so happy and you will not think about the delays any longer.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #1,838 of 2,176
bneiderman, that sure is what I'm counting on. Delay or no delay, the final product should still sing like the bees knees.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #1,839 of 2,176
Hehe, if it wasn't for the fact that some of you do have a working product that has received universal acclaim, I'm sure I would have by now... so thanks guys for your impressions! 

Quote:
garetjax1 don't cancel! They are soooo close. I am at work listening to it right now and I am always blown away by the crystal clear detail and punchy bass. Even streaming from Rhapsody through my Wavelink HS this thing sounds great. As soon as the new one is out with the improved noise floor everyone will be so happy and you will not think about the delays any longer.

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #1,840 of 2,176
What is the disadvantage in canceling, waiting for the reviews to come out and then deciding if you want to get one? Surely waiting that bit longer for other people to get theirs first is hardly going to be comparable to the wait time imposed on you during the pre-order stage?

I suppose the cost might jump up but if it hasn't already I can't foresee that it will.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #1,841 of 2,176

Quote:
I do agree with a lot of what you are saying, but for the record, they have not been voluntarily offering refunds the entire time. They specifically sent out an email to the contrary at one point. However, when pushed, Brittany did waiver on this (as she is legally obligated to!), before they officially changed their stance. In their defense, they thought they were close to shipping (again!), and that didn't manifest.

I personally go back and forth all the time on whether to cancel, and I'm pretty much 90% of the way to doing so. I think the pain around that decision for me is around how much I have invested in ancillary equipment and cabling, and, more importantly, time and the attendant anguish that has gone into waiting for this thing. To your point, I would rather have the option of cancelling rather than having the project cancelled altogether. Though you have to wonder just what their breaking point is, at this late stage.

Ahh, I was unaware that the refund issue took some pushing before they were open with it. That would also bring this whole experience down a peg. I also agree that you do have to ask what the breaking point it, as what stage is this investment too expensive for JHA. I really hope it doesn't come to that. But I would imagine a few more set-backs and this might be what we are in for.

Quote:
What is the disadvantage in canceling, waiting for the reviews to come out and then deciding if you want to get one? Surely waiting that bit longer for other people to get theirs first is hardly going to be comparable to the wait time imposed on you during the pre-order stage?

I suppose the cost might jump up but if it hasn't already I can't foresee that it will.

This is pretty much where I'm at, I'm pretty keen to test some JH16's, and I figure I might as well test them in the best possible way, which is the JH3A. But given the delays, I prefer to (as blessingx mentioned) be on the outside looking in. I'll order my JH16's and JH3A when they are all upto date with forfilling pre-orders and also happy that they will not be re-calling the product with any last minute changes. I'm very excited about this product. But not holding my breathe. This may cost me some extra coin in the long run. But it will save me a significant amount of frustration I would imagine.

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #1,842 of 2,176
On the one hand you have to congratulate JHA for having recognized the advantages of using active crossovers and then implementing them for IEM's. As I stated earlier I think where they really have taken a hit is in the degree to which this product is a departure for them. The amount of time it takes to implement changes and the ramifications they have across the rest of the design is probably one area that has been difficult for them.

Hopefully they are over the hump at this point and need only get the components in hand to begin building production units. I suspect they have recouped some cost from the supplier on parts that are n/g but the time and engineering cost must be well past the original budget.

The more I think about it the more I wonder what else they could have done. This product was going to require somebody step into a void to make it happen. Even if JHA had partnered with a portable amp guy, one of the two would still have been stepping into a space where he had not been before to get this done. Innovation is painful sometimes. 

I hope I will be able to place my order soon and I hope all of those that have waited so long are rewarded for their wait.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #1,843 of 2,176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...We had to scrap the components on the first 200 amps...

as many things as there are to complain about, hearing news like this makes me wince for Jerry and company... Given all they have undoubtedly been through in the process of creating this product, i would think this must have been a tough one.

although one could look at this a as a demonstration of just how dedicated they are - even if they dont communicate well, they are clearly not willing to give up on this. I can only imagine the temptation to throw in the towel and say enough is enough has come up more than once over the course of this project.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #1,844 of 2,176

Quote:

The more I think about it the more I wonder what else they could have done.

Wow.  It's amazing to me that people somehow still perceive the problem to be w/ the actual product itself.  That was never the issue in my mind.  People should either just cancel or keep quiet till a product appears at the door.  Everything that needs to be said has been said a thousand times already in two separate threads.  This is all just circular mental masturbation resulting from not reading the thread.  

Sep 9, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #1,845 of 2,176
I agree that units probably won't ship until sometime in October. There are too many variables in Jerry's message that are outside JH control .... 

Also, I agree that these initial units are probably a financial loss for them, especially when considering time/staff investment. I'm betting their hope is that once everything is fixed, and glowing reviews are out, they can begin to profit on orders outside this initial pre-order batch. 

Hmmmmmmm ... while some are jumping ship, I almost see it as a good time to place a pre-order, before the price goes up. Then again, I know this is obvious, but kinda sucks to still have no firm date and certainly cannot believe the 4-6 weeks listed on the site. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back