NEW information on JH-3a
Aug 20, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #1,682 of 2,176
Thanks for the tip, forwarded it to Dev@Frost Audio in case they aren't aware of it.  Truth be told, not sure if there is a way to make this not to stick out, although it would be immensely more preferable without compromising build and sound quality.

The "anaconda" pictured is the Cynosure v1.  Perhaps I'm overcompensating but I love it...:)

Quote:

oh? - got this from markertek...

granted... this thing is the godzilla of connectors, dwarfing even the viablues...  its heavy too, but solid as a rock construction.

thanks for the photos!! love that anaconda connector you've got there...

Aug 20, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #1,683 of 2,176

Quote:

oh? - got this from markertek...

granted... this thing is the godzilla of connectors, dwarfing even the viablues...  its heavy too, but solid as a rock construction.

thanks for the photos!! love that anaconda connector you've got there...

My understanding is that the 90 degree connectors won't actually fit in the inputs comfortably without impeding controls/other inputs, which is why we don't use them.  I may just send one to Warp to see, and if they work, we'll absolutely offer the 3A cable with them.  Certainly make my life easier from a soldering perspective
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 20, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #1,685 of 2,176
It's good to read a measured post here.  Thanks, JP.  Count me as one of those happy with what I received and have been listening to for some time now.  As with all R&D, there are likely to be refinements even after release and for those waiting, they will benefit from the feedback early recipients have provided to Jerry.  They won't have to send their units back - hopefully - like we will.

Not only did the 3A meet my expectations, it exceeded them.

I personally never has a customer service issue since I was in frequent contact - when necessary - with Jerry and his team and always received a response within less than 24 hours.  I understand that others have different customer service experiences and have voiced them here.

Before anyone passes any judgement on the 3A, please be sure you've listened to it.  I have and, like the four above, I would say this is arguably an incredibly fine sounding product.

I have lived with the JH3A for weeks now. Suffice it to say, it sounds superb in every way. I can completely understand if you decide to pass on it because of the various issues and delays JHA has had to work through. I do however believe you should continually read more reviews, ask JHA questions directly (via voice or email, Jerry is very responsive), and ultimately decide for yourself.

My setup is new MBP->FLAC->M2Tech HiFace->24/96->JH3A->JH16P->Headbanging fun!

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #1,686 of 2,176
Also Warp, you mention the price of the Twag Eclipse JH3A cable -- is that listed on a thread somewhere? I tried searching and also checked their website -- could not find it. Thanks!

P.S. -- I followed your advice, removed my 256k iTunes library, got the FLAC player app, uploaded a bunch of FLAC songs and am listening right now from iPhone through the CLAS/Mk2 to the JH16s. Wow!!!! Unreal sound :) Seriously, if the music sounds dramatically better on the 3A compared to this, then it truly will be like "being there." Thanks again. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #1,687 of 2,176

Quote:
I have lived with the JH3A for weeks now. Suffice it to say, it sounds superb in every way. I can completely understand if you decide to pass on it because of the various issues and delays JHA has had to work through. I do however believe you should continually read more reviews, ask JHA questions directly (via voice or email, Jerry is very responsive), and ultimately decide for yourself.

My setup is new MBP->FLAC->M2Tech HiFace->24/96->JH3A->JH16P->Headbanging fun!

emailing Jerry Directly a few weeks ago, and the conversation that ensued, is what finally put me at ease after months of struggling with whether or not to demand a refund and go home fuming.  At this point in the game, I really feel secure in the fact that this system is going to blow me away and deliver everything i hoped it would. 

Yes i have a sore spot over JH's communication, but miraculously coming into some money and being able to afford some LCD-2's and soon an SR71B to tide me over has certainly helped to take that edge off. :wink:

so about the hiface.. any reason someone would want one of these over a CLAS speaking strictly from a digital transport standpoint??  Lets take the possibility of portability/transportability out of the equation.  is one better than the other somehow.  I suppose the main thing would be the M2Tech is not limited to an ipod and thus can do 24/96.. what about other aspects?

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #1,688 of 2,176

Quote:
That's actually a really funny looking usb cable.  Kinda reminds me of the stuff from coconut-audio! :wink:

Wonder what the resale value on a $3000 usb cable must me....$100?

Probably a bit more than that.  This one is a keepsake for me and not for sale.  I sold my Nucleus a while back on Audiogon for about 60% MSRP in mint condition.  The buyer got a great deal, IMHO.  But there are a lot of options available at every price range.  Without the Diverter, it probably isn't worth investing this much in a USB cable, but at the same time it isn't worth investing in a Diverter using a USB printer cable either.

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #1,689 of 2,176
I have owned a HiFace.  It was not a trouble-free experience for me and I've realized the compromises designers and manufacturers must make to build an affordable product.  If you're on a Windows PC and on a limited budget, it is an option to consider.  For a few hundred bucks more, there are also more sophisticated products on the market.  As a Mac user, I have learned my lesson with proprietary drivers, although the developers have actually been very responsive in analyzing the various memory dumps the Kernel Panics generated due to their driver, the only time in 3 years I've had them.   

Still, if you are happy with it in your setup, that's all that matters.  If you decide to invest in any new converter, make sure that it can do at least 24/192 or more to "future-proof" it...:)

Quote:

so about the hiface.. any reason someone would want one of these over a CLAS speaking strictly from a digital transport standpoint??  Lets take the possibility of portability/transportability out of the equation.  is one better than the other somehow.  I suppose the main thing would be the M2Tech is not limited to an ipod and thus can do 24/96.. what about other aspects?

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #1,690 of 2,176

Quote:
Also Warp, you mention the price of the Twag Eclipse JH3A cable -- is that listed on a thread somewhere? I tried searching and also checked their website -- could not find it. Thanks!

P.S. -- I followed your advice, removed my 256k iTunes library, got the FLAC player app, uploaded a bunch of FLAC songs and am listening right now from iPhone through the CLAS/Mk2 to the JH16s. Wow!!!! Unreal sound :) Seriously, if the music sounds dramatically better on the 3A compared to this, then it truly will be like "being there." Thanks again. 

I've never heard the Mk2, but the Mk1 was a decent enough amp in its day.  Ken has some really good quality stuff.  I'm confident that you will have an even better experience with the JH-3A combo, especially via SPDIF.  The 3A Eclipse crossover cable is still considered a prototype product, so it is not yet on the Whiplash website.  If you decide to invest in one make sure Craig sends you one that's been "pre-cooked."  I would wait, however, until you have your 3A system on hand first to see if the stock cable is sufficient for your needs.  

Me, I'm a nutcase, so I want a backup Eclipse just in case as I don't see myself using the stock cable.  But it is a considerable amount of money to invest in on my opinion alone and without the ability to compare it when it arrives.  Just my 2 cents.

About the music:  be smarter than I am.  I've let my enthusiasm get the better of me and I bought quite  a few albums on HDTracks not necessarily because I liked them, just because they way they sounded/had been mastered.  It's easier to fall into that trap as you upgrade your equipment.  Now I got a bunch of stuff I don't really listen to and taking up space.  Then there are a handful I can hardly put down.

And there is never a coupon code when I need one.  They usually issue one the day after I downloaded 3-4 albums...:frowning2:

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #1,691 of 2,176

Quote:
Thanks Warp. Btw, I wasn't being critical about cost -- I'm sure it sounds amazing and can't wait to see your pics of both rigs -- transport and with the MBP. If you can afford the very best, why not? Besides it's all relative. To many lay people, $300 for headphones or earbuds is outrageous ... just as a $3,000 cable is probably outrageous to many here. But everyone here is searching for the best sound they can afford, so again if it sounds better - why not? I commend you actually and can't wait to hear impressions. 

One question: I'm still far from an expert in all this and am curious about how the Diverter HR impacts the sound, and how much of a difference it makes. You kind of explained actually in a previous post when you mentioned using (and getting rid of) the zodiac ... but I'd like to know more if possible. 

First of all, is it only for when you're connecting to the laptop or desktop via USB, right? Like this: 

Source music/amarra --> cynosure USB --> Sonicweld Diverter HR --> Black Frost TRRS coax --> 3A --> Twag Eclipse --> JH16

And then in portable, it would be .... 

Source music/iPod touch --> iPod to USB (ALO or Whiplash) --> CLAS Solo --> Black Frost TRRS --> 3A --> Twag Eclipse --> JH16 

Let me know if I'm wrong about this, like I said, I've only been an "audiophile" for about a year and am still learning lots. 

I would guess that the amarra/laptop source + high-end USB + high-end diverter would sound a little better, but if they are even close that would be a HUGE testament to the quality of the CLAS,
that it come close to replicating the sound of thousands of dollars in cables and gear. 

Again, thanks for all your contributions and look forward to your pics and impressions ... 
o2smile.gif

You've captured it perfectly.  Also, Drew@Moon Audio offers a Solo LOD and other custom cables as well.  Frost Audio is a startup, but with solid engineering and industry experience behind them, and some of their stuff is just amazingly good, well, at any price.  When you pick cables, my only advice is not to mix ones with different materials (i.e., copper vs. silver) unless you have a specific reason for doing so in a particular application.  This statement is primarily valid for analog cables, digital ones are a different ballgame as I understand them.  

I worship the Diverter/Cynosure combo, but that's because I've lived with them.  Josh@Sonicweld is a true Renaissance Man and only builds "cost-no-object" statement products.  The Diverter HR is a significant upgrade over an already amazing predecessor.  In terms of build and sound quality; it can't really be described unless experienced in person.  It has a 10-layer(!) PCB design filled with custom components, some of them are barely visible to the naked eye.  He does his own coding, assembly and even C&C programming and machining to get these and some of his other statement products.

I agree that the fact the CLAS/JH-3A system comes anywhere close to it is amazing, since it's a lot more affordable, thus, a lot more people will be able to enjoy them.

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #1,692 of 2,176

Thanks Warp. Do you know if Ken has a JH3A crossover cable in the works as well? Seems like maybe you are not allowed to list the price for the Whiplash version, guessing it runs between $500-1,000. I guess I should just check with them both :)
Quote:
I've never heard the Mk2, but the Mk1 was a decent enough amp in its day.  Ken has some really good quality stuff.  I'm confident that you will have an even better experience with the JH-3A combo, especially via SPDIF.  The 3A Eclipse crossover cable is still considered a prototype product, so it is not yet on the Whiplash website.  If you decide to invest in one make sure Craig sends you one that's been "pre-cooked."  I would wait, however, until you have your 3A system on hand first to see if the stock cable is sufficient for your needs.  

Me, I'm a nutcase, so I want a backup Eclipse just in case as I don't see myself using the stock cable.  But it is a considerable amount of money to invest in on my opinion alone and without the ability to compare it when it arrives.  Just my 2 cents.

About the music:  be smarter than I am.  I've let my enthusiasm get the better of me and I bought quite  a few albums on HDTracks not necessarily because I liked them, just because they way they sounded/had been mastered.  It's easier to fall into that trap as you upgrade your equipment.  Now I got a bunch of stuff I don't really listen to and taking up space.  Then there are a handful I can hardly put down.

And there is never a coupon code when I need one.  They usually issue one the day after I downloaded 3-4 albums...:frowning2:

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #1,693 of 2,176
Just a question for all your those who have their JH-3A: 
Does your highs (the treble) sometimes cut off?  Sometimes when my cable is that is connected to the JH-3A is moved, the highs (treble) cut out.  
I have to wiggle the connection and cable to get the highs to come back. Is it just mine?  So many bugs.  Nevertheless, bugs and all, cannot deny what it does, it does well.  

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #1,694 of 2,176

Quote:
Just a question for all your those who have their JH-3A: 
Does your highs (the treble) sometimes cut off?  Sometimes when my cable is that is connected to the JH-3A is moved, the highs (treble) cut out.  
I have to wiggle the connection and cable to get the highs to come back. Is it just mine?  So many bugs.  Nevertheless, bugs and all, cannot deny what it does, it does well.  

sounds like a loose solder joint or connection not making clean contact somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back