NEW information on JH-3a
Jul 30, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #1,516 of 2,176

Quote:
you can charge the unit from a wall usb adapter but not a usb port from a computer as the unit sees the usb computer signal and diverts to that over the spdif input.

Yup, that makes sense.  On mine this is not working.  I have tried the iBasso DB2 charger as well as the iPad charger.  Not only there is no output this way, but I also can't charge the unit from either of these wall chargers even when it's powered off unless the TRRS coax cable is actually removed from the JH-3A.  No biggie, since the amp will be replaced anyway.

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #1,519 of 2,176
A few of us wondered if a USB charging only cable could work in your scenario Warp. In theory it should. I'm not aware of anyone who has tried, but could be worth the $5 to test. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #1,520 of 2,176
Warp08, did you ask JHA about the spdif/usb charging issue? It would certainly be nice to hear that they were aiming to resolve that one.

re: JHA's words,

... Therefore, we are increasing the gain of the line-in with a pre amp circuit. We are currently changing the PCB board to accept this gain stage.

Does this sound like a new load on the battery to anyone? I'd really hate for the battery life to suffer further...

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #1,521 of 2,176
Thread, I notice in your blog post you mentioned "change was needed in order to gain-match the analog level to the digital one." I didn't read the JHA update as 'gain-matching,' but simply adjustments to keep the two inputs in the usable range (which arguably was an issue even before recent "black" gain adjustment). Obviously, matching the inputs would be preferable (if no sonic disadvantages). How are others reading the announcement and anyone have any additional details if so?  Would love to have decent volume swing and overhead for both digital and analog. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #1,522 of 2,176
^ here's something i wrote and received a reply to... hope this helps...
My writing in purple
Jerry's in blue

Hi - thanks for the update.

will the coax and usb input also be adjusted to both remove the noise floor, and allow for ample volume adjustment?
will all these adjustments still allow for a wide range in the volume control.. i.e.  you can turn the knob more than just a few degrees before it becomes very loud?

thanks

Hi,

We are adding more points of increase  in the volume pot.

Also by decreasing the amp stage gain the digital volume is more manageable.

Best regards,

Jerry

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #1,523 of 2,176
Thread, I notice in your blog post you mentioned "change was needed in order to gain-match the analog level to the digital one." I didn't read the JHA update as 'gain-matching,' but simply adjustments to keep the two inputs in the usable range (which arguably was an issue even before recent "black" gain adjustment). Obviously, matching the inputs would be preferable (if no sonic disadvantages). How are others reading the announcement and anyone have any additional details if so?  Would love to have decent volume swing and overhead for both digital and analog. 

Not sure what difference you're trying to draw... I read "adjustments to keep the two inputs in the usable range" as matching gains, but perhaps this is not technically correct.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #1,524 of 2,176
I think what he's talking about is semantics. You say match, where JH is just making both usable, not necessarily matched. If on digital 12 will be normal volume, 2 may be normal for analog, whereas before it was 9 for digital and muuuch further for analog. With all these volume drops the analog volume got so low that it wasn't sufficient even at maximum, thus the need to recalibrate both to be usable.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #1,525 of 2,176

Quote:
I think what he's talking about is semantics. You say match, where JH is just making both usable, not necessarily matched. If on digital 12 will be normal volume, 2 may be normal for analog, whereas before it was 9 for digital and muuuch further for analog. With all these volume drops the analog volume got so low that it wasn't sufficient even at maximum, thus the need to recalibrate both to be usable.

well here's hoping a match - coax, usb, and analog,  or at least close to it is possible. 

i guess no one has been brave enough to pop their unit open and snap some internal shots yet eh??
i figured people would be all over that, if for no other reason than to figure out if they can upgrade to a longer lasting battery or something like that.

whats more amazing is that no one has posted a photo of their 3A rig in the "portable rig" thread.  It's your duty as a head-fier to do such things ya know :wink:

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #1,526 of 2,176

Quote:
Warp08, did you ask JHA about the spdif/usb charging issue? It would certainly be nice to hear that they were aiming to resolve that one.

re: JHA's words,
Quote:
... Therefore, we are increasing the gain of the line-in with a pre amp circuit. We are currently changing the PCB board to accept this gain stage.

Does this sound like a new load on the battery to anyone? I'd really hate for the battery life to suffer further...

At this point I believe this particular issue is limited to my own particular unit.  When I RMA it, I'll include the issue in a note with it so that the engineers can test it back at the manufacturing plant.  I sincerely hope that a higher capacity battery will be made available at some point--perhaps as an option--for those who would like to use it in a mobile scenario.

Right now it's an issue for me, because I'm trying to burn-in both my Diverter HR, the new Frost Audio TRRS coax cable and the 2nd prototype of the Whiplash Audio JH-3A cable all in the same time and it's going slowly with only 6 hrs a day because of the battery life.

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #1,528 of 2,176
It does have a 2-channel analog input, I would imagine that the crossovers would still work but the effectiveness would perhaps be dependent on the quality of that input. Nothing would be damaged in any case.

Aug 1, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #1,529 of 2,176
While I am sure I'll be burned as a heretic I have not sensed an appreciable change with the 3a combo over time. It sounded great out of the box and continues to do so. I can not speak to the diverter's response to continued play.

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #1,530 of 2,176

Quote:
While I am sure I'll be burned as a heretic I have not sensed an appreciable change with the 3a combo over time. It sounded great out of the box and continues to do so. I can not speak to the diverter's response to continued play.

My guess is that they pre-burned the units before shipping them to us and the stock crossover cable is a relatively low-gauge silver-plated copper, so it requires minimum burn-in.  The new Diverter HR was only on the test bench for 24 hours, and needs several more days of additional burn-in.  It's a much more complex design than the previous one.  I'm unsure of the burn-in requirements of the Frost Audio coax digital cable.  The big one is the Whiplash Eclipse crossover cable, which was made from a spool that has not been pre-burnt.  I understand that shipping versions will ship that way, which will be really the only way to go.  The recommendation is up to 1,000 hours for best performance.  I will never get anywhere near that number in my lifetime at the rate I'm going...still it sounds very, very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back