NEW information on JH-3a
Jun 16, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #781 of 2,176
from the facebooks - hmmm....

Geoff Dedman
Just noticed you no longer have the JH-13/3A combo on your site. Has this combo been dropped permanently?
11 hours ago · Like · Comment
    1. JH Audio We are only offering the JH3A with JH16 now. 42 minutes ago

maybe its just me but now this product is shipping, and their communication clarity and frequency seems unchanged, and given the various events unfolding as of late, it seems like JH is setting is really setting themselves up for some potentially angry customers. 

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #782 of 2,176

Quote:
Quote:
The only way JHA could assure they are all fully charged if they'd hold off on shipping them an extra day ...  

i know you have been a staunch and somewhat blinded defender of JH through all of this but please at least read what has been quoted before going on jerry's defence when it seems even t Jerry has admitted a problem and damage potential!

I'm kind of tired hearing excuses for JHA come through the voice of others...  There are very real concerns over a costly product that has experienced significant delays with very very little pro-active communication to anyone, pre-order or not.   This isn't an early adopter kind of product, or a beta kind of stage. This is the long awaited production mold, gold press, final copy.

It would be nice to hear from JHA directly, well, not just to me directly like the response below that I received ten days ago,,, (I'm not sure who the "everyone" is other than JH and Warp) but a statement to the wider audience that reads about and follows this product.  Delivery schedule; color; battery power; cables; hissing; manual; volume...

Ok, I'll put my head back in the sand...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2011 11:58 AM

At any time any customer that did not want to ride it out could have  
gotten a refund with no questions asked.

Everyone that has received their amp has loved it.

Keep your speculation to yourself please.

Jerry

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #783 of 2,176
It seems most of you CRY for a living. (QQ)

They've already stated reasons for the delays, so there should not be more of this whining and crying; it's getting repetitive and quite annoying. If your tears have not dried up yet, go post a new thread titled, "QQ about JHA" and do it all you want there.

Obviously something went wrong with the device, maybe it was dropped hard during shipping or something, but JHA would gladly fix it. If the owner has not a problem with it besides being a bit frustrated, why should anyone else really start crying over this? Get over it. You are not a pubescent teen. You people are pathetic, really; this is why other people, non-audiophiles, think weirdly of you, spending so much on something that just produces good audio. You people need to get out and do something with your life instead of sitting infront of the computer whining and moaning that JHA hasn't good communications, et cetera.

Also, one can guess that the product was put out without a manual to get it shipping asap, as the people demanded. :| It's all consequences.

And one last thing: Is there any law that states that a company is required to announce a product that's no longer available? I never knew Sennheiser announced to all its customers each and every time a certain headphone will be unavailable from a certain date.

The previous JH3A thread was locked because of all this arguing, crying, and bashing. I'd like for this thread to be kept up, and so I ask you guys to stop here before Jude or an admin decides to lock this one up as well, and ban any thread to be made about the JH3A besides impressions thread.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #785 of 2,176
Mr. Girl, I don't think JHA will expedite the shipping of your JH-3A simply because you sycophantically go-to-bat for them.

Quote:
this is why other people, non-audiophiles, think weirdly of you, spending so much on something that just produces good audio

Really?  This is what is referred to as, "the pot calling the kettle black."

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #786 of 2,176

Quote:

Geoff Dedman
Just noticed you no longer have the JH-13/3A combo on your site. Has this combo been dropped permanently?

maybe its just me but now this product is shipping, and their communication clarity and frequency seems unchanged, and given the various events unfolding as of late, it seems like JH is setting is really setting themselves up for some potentially angry customers. 

Great!!! now they piss me off...reason why?no, only poor statement...now i must sell JH13 pro to get JH3A....really great JH audio!!!

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #787 of 2,176

Quote:

Geoff Dedman

Yeh, that was me. I went to place my order for the JH13/3a when I noticed it had dissapeared from the website!
Although a number of people have said in the past (before any units were shipped) that with the bass control you can get the 16 to mimic the 13, the spec definitely says that the bass control operates from -0 to + 12db and  I certainly can't imagine ever wanting a 12db boot on the 16's from what I've heard listening to a demo pair of JH-16's.
Warp08 also said " I know I won't touch the "Bass" dial too many times" so I also asked on FB for clarification on the bass control, whether it's purely boost or if it can apply a bass cut.. If it can't and now that the option for getting the 13/3a combo has been pulled, that would be a deal breaker for me and I'd just stick with the non active JH13 pro. I'll wait and see what JH reply but in the meantime if any of the lucky souls that have received theirs can perhaps confirm if the bass control can apply a cut to the bass?

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #790 of 2,176
We were originally told that the amplifiers bass control could cut and boost, but (speculation only - no facts) it looks like it only adds from the way the photos have shown the knob being turned all the way down and not having a " negative - center - positive" type orientation, but more of a low to high. Hopefully that explanation makes sense, but again.. this is purely my vision/speculation since there are not any facts posted and some of the original specs have deviated since the get go.

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #791 of 2,176
So far we've had:

• 1 year delay
  • Removal of rust amp color
  • Removal of 24/192 feature
  • Removal of JH-13 option
  • Possible critcal battery problem (who knows how extensive the fix might be)
  • No instructions included (seriously this could be handled by an intern at SOME point in the year of delay)

I think people have every right to be concerned. All these issues have cropped up within the first 10 units shipped. Not a promising start.

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #792 of 2,176

Quote:
So what do those of you who have them so far hear for hiss? What's the background noise like when you flip it on with nothing connected but the headphones?

I got my 3A today, and I think I've got more background hum than I should. And when I slowly reach the first step of the pot and I go from no music to music, the volume level is moderate or even above. I'm wondering if my gain might be too high or something. I'm in talks with Jerry.

Also, I think the 10 months between CanJam and my molds being made wasn't good for my impressions.

The background is not black and I do hear a low volume sound when no music is playing.  However with the music playing it is not noticeable and it sounds fantastic (LOD from iPod).  The volume knob, like yours, does not have a lot of play before listening levels are exceeded.

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #793 of 2,176

Quote:
Yeh, that was me. I went to place my order for the JH13/3a when I noticed it had dissapeared from the website!
Although a number of people have said in the past (before any units were shipped) that with the bass control you can get the 16 to mimic the 13, the spec definitely says that the bass control operates from -0 to + 12db and  I certainly can't imagine ever wanting a 12db boot on the 16's from what I've heard listening to a demo pair of JH-16's.
Warp08 also said " I know I won't touch the "Bass" dial too many times" so I also asked on FB for clarification on the bass control, whether it's purely boost or if it can apply a bass cut.. If it can't and now that the option for getting the 13/3a combo has been pulled, that would be a deal breaker for me and I'd just stick with the non active JH13 pro. I'll wait and see what JH reply but in the meantime if any of the lucky souls that have received theirs can perhaps confirm if the bass control can apply a cut to the bass?

Every time I logon to this thread, there is always another interesting development.

I love my JH13 Pros because their neutrality offers great synergy with the warmth of my HifiMAN HM-602's TD1543 DAC as a source (forget the TWag for a second).  I love my JH16s more with the WhipMOD/WhipLOD/Pico Slim combo, although I do admit that certain reference tracks like those on the Bella Sonus Enamoured album produce a slightly overdone bass impact, but for the overwhelming majority of the albums I listen to that combination works just fine.  I need to add the obligatory "to my ears" because not everyone hears the same way, as we know and we don't listen to the same genres either.

However, the JH-3A is a different beast because of the DSP.  It does change everything.  Can you make the baseline the same as the JH13s?  Sure, it's already very, very close to that.  Can it be further adjusted for those who prefer even less bottom end than the JH13s can provide?  Why not?  It's just a another parametric setting, all you need to know what freq range and the -dB you want it dropped.  Before you couldn't do any of this, the best you were able to do is pick a different IC or IEM replacement cable (say silver vs. copper or vice versa) to tune the SQ to your liking.

Those of you who've read my ancient JH13 vs. JH16 review know that essentially the JH16 Pro is a superset to the JH13 Pro, because it's a triple-bore architecture vs. dual-bore and its quad-bass driver cluster can provide a much superior punch to anything the JH13 is capable of.  Particularly in live recordings, drum or beat-centric genres this is a major plus and a lot closer to true live music experience than the purist "studio" experience in many ways.  I have the luxury of owning both and use them selectively.  With the JH-3A, it simply doesn't matter since you can have them set the baseline to whatever you want it to be and get rid of the default 50 Hz/6dB "bass hump" default on the conventional 16s altogether.

This is just my opinion, based on my experience with these products,  Your mileage may vary.  For the record, I have had no knowledge of JHA cutting the /13 option until I've read it here, but I think it makes sense, since there is really no downside--except whatever minor price difference there was between the two packages--which was not much to begin with.  

As far as impressions of the JH16s based on the demo shells...well, those only provide but a mere glimpse of what the fully customized product can do, because of the universal tip.  Try pushing your own shells a bit further in or out and see what that does to the SQ.  I bet only 1 out of 10 attempts manage to position those demo shells even remotely close to the ideal position for optimum frequency phase mix hitting the eardrums.  The irony is that it's still better than most universals out there, so people do order them based on that.

Sorry for the rant.  Just tune me out, if not already...:wink:

Jun 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #795 of 2,176
Lets seee:

Offical statement:
By now, most of you have probably heard that JHAudio has decided not to offer the JH3A with the JH13.  After much testing and tuning, Jerry has found that the JH16 circuit works best for optimal detail and accuracy out of the amp.  The 13 circuit just didn't match up.  When turned down, the 16 circuit is only 2db of boost at 5oHz.  (The passive 13 has a built in boost of 6dB at 50Hz.)  

With the amp + 16 combination, you have the ability to have the lows much lower than the 13 and much higher than the 16.  This circuit is accurate to 23k, so everyone should be able to set the bass to their preference.

GREAT!!!after year....Jerry found problem or....sorry guys....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back