New IEMS or new DAP?
Jan 27, 2013 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rt310

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
Recently i have found myself using my portable rig much more than my home one. As a result of this, i would like to upgrade my portable rig so that the sound quality will improve. My current setup is A Sony Walkman Z + my GR07s. Although the sound is great, my player itself is having problems of its own (songs freeze, random static) that have appeared in the last few weeks and i'm reluctant to send it back as my warranty has ended. My question: Should i keep my GR07s and get a new DAP or do the opposite? ATM i'm in china and have ~3500¥ to spend (which is around 575 USD). My music preferences are K-Pop and Classical (main focus on vocals and instrumentals). Big fan of neutral signatures.
Thanks for reading!

EDIT: pls no more sansa clip suggestions

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #3 of 6
Have you tried resetting your walkman? Updating to the latest android4.0 firmware?
I still run the firmware with android2.0, the stock player has glitches with mp3's so i use 'andLess' to play flac.
Considered an iPod Classic with LOD as a possible option?

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Have you tried resetting your walkman? Updating to the latest android4.0 firmware?
I still run the firmware with android2.0, the stock player has glitches with mp3's so i use 'andLess' to play flac.
Considered an iPod Classic with LOD as a possible option?

Yes i've reset it multiple times, and updated to the latest firmware. The latest firmware actually brought more problems for me, my database wouldn't update and i couldn't add/remove songs from my player for some time, until it randomly decided to work.
I'm currently using PowerAmp, was using Neutron but it didn't work with my FLAC files so i refunded it.
How is the iPod classic? I don't need that much space as my music library is relatively small compared to the tens of thousands of songs that most head-fiers have. I'll need 10GB at most. I don't know much about the SQ of the classic though, care to enlighten me? :)
I've been considering more high-end DAPs, especially the Colorfly C4, as i can get it for around 500 USD in China. Other choices include the DX100 and AK100, but i'm not sure if the players will make my cheap (in comparison) GR07s sound.
Thanks for the suggestion though, i'll definitely look into it!

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 6
I'd keep those gr07's as they sound a lot more expensive than they are. I have a clip zip and then ipod classic 5th gen/e07k/lod. While the clip doesn't sound quite as good as the other rig, it's really pretty darn good. 

The clip zip with a 32GB microsd card was only about $55. That's a great bargain for what you get. Drag and drop flac right out of the box and a decent amount of space also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back