New IEM's (Budget $150ish)
Apr 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shweed

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new pair of IEM's, preferably under $150 but that could be extended if necessary. I currently have a pair of Thinksound TS01's and am looking to make an upgrade. I will be listening to music out of my Sansa Fuze. I listen to mainly Hip-hop, rock (indie for the most part), and instrumental (trip-hop, downtempo, electronicish). I'm primarily looking for something that has good bass (for hip hop), yet something with good clarity (for instrumentals).

The only two IEM's I am looking at right now are the Gr07s and the TDK BA200s, I am open to more suggestions. What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 8
Both of those are great IEMs, though I think the GR07s will have a bit more bass quantity. I am a bit suspect about driving either the GR07 or the BA200s with the Sansa Fuze, but someone here with more experience can actually verify. I also would not count out the Yamaha EPH-100 mainly because I can safely say that it CAN be driven by really anything and you'll still get great sound from it. The bass on the Yamaha's is probably more pronounced than either the GR07 or BA200, the detail in the mids and highs is quite good though I doubt it has the extension of the GR07 or BA200. Another option that might fit your music style is the Klipsch X10 (sells for under $100).

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 8
The GR07 are pretty good sounding  for the price and bass is punchy dynamic on these. Others IEMs are like TF10Pro, Sony XB90EX, JVC FXZ100, FXZ200 and Westone UM2 are bassy yet detailed for instrumental music.

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 8
Is there anywhere to buy the regular gr07s, I can only find the mkIIs on amazon for 175ish, is this the best option?

Would also like to hear if the fuze could drive these, anyone have any experience?

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
I'm in the market for a new pair of IEM's, preferably under $150 but that could be extended if necessary. I currently have a pair of Thinksound TS01's and am looking to make an upgrade. I will be listening to music out of my Sansa Fuze. I listen to mainly Hip-hop, rock (indie for the most part), and instrumental (trip-hop, downtempo, electronicish). I'm primarily looking for something that has good bass (for hip hop), yet something with good clarity (for instrumentals).

The only two IEM's I am looking at right now are the Gr07s and the TDK BA200s, I am open to more suggestions. What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-278-iems-compared-astrotec-am-800-dx-60-added-03-31-13-p-659#post_6492044

Clear but good bass - they both are able to do so but in different ways - the GR07s will put out more emphasis on each note and and a bit of sparkle to show off that natural technical ability, while the BA200s are simply clean and clear, with nothing in the way. Both have mid-bass emphasis but the GR07s have more texturing and impact is more dynamic. The TDKs are cleaner and give off more of a tight punch sort of feel.

Would avoid looking at other choices as it might get fairly confusing, not to mention these two choices are pretty darned good already.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 8
I'd recommend the the gr07 BE's. 
Read through the gr07 BE thread for the facts on comparisons. I'm certain someone there owns the BA200 as well and can give you a proper comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back