New IEM purchase advice please (~$150)
Jan 3, 2013 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DiscoCat5

New Head-Fier
Hi there everybody!
Sorry to be the jerk who asks too many questions :frowning2:

I recently broke hippo vb that I used to use with the mid plate
Also own ath-m50

Enjoy the sound of the ath m50 and also the hippo’s, the hippo’s no real complaints, maybe a little bulky thus not super conducive to active use,  sound was huge bass which was good but im not concerned if the new pair don’t match exactly.

I like natural accurate sound with maybe just a little colour(? Not sure f that’s the right terminology) for when I’m feeling frisky.

Currently will be mostly used with an iPhone 4s so in-line controls is welcomed but not essential (other devices include nexus 7 and MacBook pro) and I don’t own any headphone amplifiers.
Will be used whilst doing just about anything - studying, housework, movies in bed, cycling and listening to different genres mostly hiphop, but not very much of the club sort of hiphop that non hiphop heads think is hiphop. I’m also into just about every other music genre as well

Currently considering:

Yamaha EPH-100
Not sure if the sound is what I’m after and if they are as good as the other two

Ultimate ears triple.fi 10
Found on eBay for around $220 (not sure if that’s a good deal?) which is the very top of my budget
Not sure if I will get enough out of them without using an amp
Not sure how portable they are, like how snugly they fit in your ears or how far they hang out, are they just designed for studio use? – I don’t know
Have they been discontinued?

Shure SE215
These seem good and are at a more comfortable price point

Shure SE215LTD enhanced bass
Saw these on amazon for similar price
do they sound just as good?
Is the enhanced bass worth it or does it ruin the rest of the sound?
(Also they come in a cool transparent blue like the triple fi’s)

Sorry for the many questions, I’ve searched for answers but can’t really find specific answers to everything I’m curious about.

Thanks in advance!
Kind regards
Di$coCat5.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 8
I haven't listened to any of these, so unfortunately I won't be able to help you on this. I just wanted to give you a heads up on the new JVC IEMs, which are getting rave reviews. The HA-FXZ100 can be had for ~160 USD (ex. shipping though, but since a couple of headfiers bought both the 100 and 200, some may be willing to part with one of them). For more information, see the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200

For cycling though you may want to consider that the bigger IEMs, like the triple.fi or the just mentioned JVC's, may suffer from some wind noise. I'll leave it up to someone who has actually used them to share if this is a real concern though.

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 8
You mentioned it could depend on how portable they are. Honestly, IEM's are as portable as you can get. You also said that you don't want an amp, which is good because you don't need one, especially for IEM's, especially for Balanced Armature IEM's. Also if you plan on using them for cycling, you should go with an IEM better suited for sport. Look for ones with an over ear design. In line controls are not really necessary, just put your music on shuffle and go!

Swimsonny mentioned the Cosmic Ears, and I agree. They are cheap, decent sounding, more durable than universals, and you have the added isolation and you can be pretty certain that they will stay in your ear. Honestly you aren't going to be doing too much analytical listening whilst cycling, trust me. 

So base your purchase on what your needs are, because that's what will make your purchase most satisfactory.

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 8
http://www.head-fi.org/t/643955/review-shure-se215-vs-se215-spe-blue#post_9015477

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the responses guys!

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the shure 215 special edition in the cool transparent blue.
Depending on how patient I am I will wait until they're in stock locally or buy from amazon - just not sure how warranty claims go if I buy from amazon.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the responses guys!

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the shure 215 special edition in the cool transparent blue.
Depending on how patient I am I will wait until they're in stock locally or buy from amazon - just not sure how warranty claims go if I buy from amazon.

For what it's worth, I owned a pair or Shure E2c's, and when they broke down I directly dealt with Shure to replace them. The shop where I bought them refused to offer the full 2 year warranty, but with the original receipt, Shure was happy to do so. This was in Europe though, but I would be surprised if it were different in the U.S. Enjoy them, the isolation on my old shures was tremendous, so you may be in for a nice surprise! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back