new IEM (mostly) for metal: TF10? UM2? others?
Nov 8, 2011 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

pimmedoris

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

My current portable rig consist of an iPod Nano 2G and Shure SCL2. I like the sound of th SCL, seems nice and balanced although it could use more Bass.
I'm looking to upgrade my rig, so both player and IEM's. I mostly listen to metal like Opeth Death, Bolt Thrower, Katatonia Killswitch Engage, but also from time to time I like to listen to some Jazz like Miles Davis. So I want an IEM that can handle a wide variety of music from the low sound of Bolt Thrower, to warm jazzy stuff and the accoustical pieces and grunts from Opeth. Especially Bolt Thrower lost their awesome sound on the SCL2.

I am not really looking for a really bassheavy IEM. I want a good detailed and balanced sound in every region and makes the music sound the way it was recorded.
After reading reviews here I think that the Westone UM2 might do the trick for me. However, not a lot of shops have the Westones. Also I've read good things about the TF10 except for the fit. 

Any comments on my choices? Other IEM's I should consider?
Would these IEM's benefit from a (simple) portable amp like for instance the iBasso T5?

I'm also looking to upgrade the player. Choice now is between iPod Touch, Classic or the Cowon J3. Big advantages of the apples are that I have my library in iTunes (with ALAC files), the UI, I can nicely integrate them in my Home Audioo set using a Dock. Advantage of the J3 is the SQ. Any tips on that?

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 23
to be honest i've never really had any fit issues with the TF10s and in my opinion they are quite different to SM2s. They are not as detailed and analytical but they are more pleasant to listen to (for me at least).
As for audio player there really isnt a huge difference between the Cowon and the Apple. if your library is already in ALAC then it would be much more convenient to stick to the iPod touch

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 23
TF10s were awesome for metal and rock in general.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 23
TF10 for rock and metal

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 23
TF10 will improve more than UM2 with an amp.

TF10 a bit more of a spacious sound, UM2 more of an intimate sound.  TF10 more trebly, UM2 warmer and smother and I think more natural sounding.  UM2 has a bit more bass.  I think they are both great.  UM2 wins on ergonomics, of course.

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 23
I also think the TF10 will be better for metal compared to the UM2. However, I wouldn't recommend the TF10 unless you can try them out first or if you have larger ears. The UM2 is also great with a much better fit and comfort - can't go wrong with the UM2s.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 23
Trying them out will be bit of a problem. I'm not sure if I can find a (real life) shop that sells the TF10 in Eindhoven where I live. I also would not be able to try out the UM2's. I did find a dutch webshop that sells them for 199 Euro's which is much cheaper than what I found in other webshops. UM2 would cost around 240-250 Euros?

There is one thing that concerns me. I read in an other topic that the TF10 has a 'V-shape' in the sound. So I read that as having recessed mids. I'm looking for a natural, balanced sound. (On my guitar amplifier I also usually turn up the mids).
How strong is this recessed mids?

I also read remarks about some people not liking the cable. Is there something special about the cable?

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 23
Thanks for the tip. I'll read some reviews on these IEM's. I see the DBA-02 have a sensistivity of 108dB and a impedance of 43Ohm, compared to 119 and 27 for the UM2 and 117 and 32 for the TF10's. I am not a sound engineer, so what do these differences tell me?

@Negakinu: I see you are from Rotterdam. Do you know any good shops, either real shops or webshops, in the Netherlands for higher end IEM's?

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #11 of 23
The Sony EX series (EX600, EX7550, EX1000) uses dome type dynamic drivers and they sound amazingly detailed yet fun to listen and not too bass heavy but balanced with great instruments separation. The other IEMs like Sennheiser IE80, GR10, RE272, GR07, IE7, MTP Copper and UM3x are also recommended.

Nov 9, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I'll read some reviews on these IEM's. I see the DBA-02 have a sensistivity of 108dB and a impedance of 43Ohm, compared to 119 and 27 for the UM2 and 117 and 32 for the TF10's. I am not a sound engineer, so what do these differences tell me?

@Negakinu: I see you are from Rotterdam. Do you know any good shops, either real shops or webshops, in the Netherlands for higher end IEM's?

I've never purchased an IEM from a Dutch vendor. I've bought succesfully from Head Direct, Headstage, Thomann, Ebay, Mp4nation and Fischer Audio. In Nederland zijn de prijzen erg hoog en het aanbod beperkt zich voornamelijk tot gangbare merken als Bose, Sennheiser, Sony... Feedback.nl heeft nog wel eens leuke aanbiedingen maar voornamelijk voor stage monitoren. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #15 of 23
I found the DBAs slightly harder to drive than the TF10s, which were probably the second easiest headphones to drive after the Shure SE53x series IME. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back